#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Is Hip Hop Brainwashing the Youth?

08-18-2016, 06:00 PM #1
BaronAmity
Marshall
I vote "yes". I don't think we should ban it but I definitely think it's brainwashing people. Look at Too Short- definitely not healthy music for young men to listen to.

08-18-2016, 06:07 PM #2
Al Mualim
Knight
(08-18-2016, 06:00 PM)BaronAmity Wrote:  I vote "yes". I don't think we should ban it but I definitely think it's brainwashing people. Look at Too Short- definitely not healthy music for young men to listen to.

Look how it changed some African Americans.
You had Martin Luther King (and the likes) and now you have many young ones into guns and the 'thug life'. Following bandwagons..following their own lusts and desires >_> instead focusing on making a difference.
This post was last modified: 08-18-2016, 06:09 PM by Al Mualim.

Are you fulfilling the rights of your Lord, body, family and place of work?
Peace be upon you! 
The following 4 users Like Al Mualim's post:
  • JayGirl, Kung Fu, Alex, MoroccanEyes

08-18-2016, 06:22 PM #3
MoroccanEyes
Marshall
Generally yeah. Old school Hip-hop was very anti-establishment then somehow it morphed from that too bitches, then how many guns I have, then how many gang-bangers I ride with in my (Insert brand) convertible, then what clothes I wear, then making money by whatever means if that means im stacking, now it's all the above except the anti-establishment sentiment..

Fast forwards to today, you have these celebrity ''hip-hoppers'' that have their own crowd, then get into scraps with other ironically fellow african hip-hoppers which divides the African community into them punting on their favourite idol that they feel best represents them/region and then you get gangs, and they sow discord to further divide the african community, all the while purchasing foreign brands to show off to their brethren. Which then effectively drives consumerism and narcissism. Perfect recipe for preventing unity on things that matter.

Faith is a rebel I can show you the Devil. 

Proud to come from both A Christian & Muslim background. Unity is a Must. Imagine what Jesus (pbuh) Muhammed (pbuh) would think about our petty ''differences''.G-D is source.

Resistance Axis: Russia, Iran, China, Syria, Hezbollah, Palestine, Venezuela, Bolivia, Yemen. The only nations that can put down the zionist beast - The list gets shorter, but the resistance gets stronger. 
The following 2 users Like MoroccanEyes's post:
  • JayGirl, Al Mualim

08-18-2016, 06:52 PM #4
celle76
Justiciar
This is a simple yes..! Hip hop is super popular so it had to be infiltrated. It is the rock of the early 80's.
The following 1 user Likes celle76's post:
  • JayGirl

08-18-2016, 07:03 PM #5
mrgrimm
Marshall
Depends on what artist, or even what song. Plenty of good hip hop out there, as with anything you have to sift through the crap to find the good stuff.
The following 4 users Like mrgrimm's post:
  • JayGirl, Pomegranate, MaryJane, celle76

08-18-2016, 08:07 PM #6
blue forest
Justiciar
A lot of it of today, yes.

This post was last modified: 08-18-2016, 08:07 PM by blue forest.

08-18-2016, 08:38 PM #7
24theking
Knight
So what solutions do you guys suggest? Or music lol??

When a king talks, people listen. 

08-18-2016, 08:41 PM #8
24theking
Knight
(08-18-2016, 08:38 PM)24theking Wrote:  So what solutions do you guys suggest? Or music lol??

Oh yea I forgot I know Baron is, but when you answer can you state what type of community your from. Like is Hip Hop prevalent where you are from??

When a king talks, people listen. 

08-18-2016, 11:20 PM #9
KoncreteMind
Chaplain
Yes it is. But so are the movies. So is television. So is school. So is church etc... There are soo many ways that the youth is being brainwashed that is not just limited to hip hop. But I think hip hop is a big one thats for sure.

(08-18-2016, 06:07 PM)Al Mualim Wrote:  
(08-18-2016, 06:00 PM)BaronAmity Wrote:  I vote "yes". I don't think we should ban it but I definitely think it's brainwashing people. Look at Too Short- definitely not healthy music for young men to listen to.

Look how it changed some African Americans.
You had Martin Luther King (and the likes) and now you have many young ones into guns and the 'thug life'. Following bandwagons..following their own lusts and desires >_> instead focusing on making a difference.

That change was not because of hip hop though

08-19-2016, 12:51 AM #10
BaronAmity
Marshall
@24 I'm glad Koncrete responded because hip-hop is brainwashing the kids but it is bigger than hip hop. If I was President, I would buy a copy of Murda, Misogyny and Mayhem by Zoe Spencer for every newborn child. I think we're seeing some sort of undiagnosed mental disease and I think Spencer's model of the "Normalization of Abnormality" can help to explain whatever it is that's happening with people's minds- even what's happened with my own mind. Zoe Spencer is a sociologist from the projects.

We have a gigantic polycentric system of mass brainwashing. Most of us live lonely lives so we tune in to this many-tentacled system of mind-control to tune our reality out. Since media addiction is a coping device, I say we smoke weed- however, I say smoking out of a pipe is better than a blunt- no tobacco and more frugal. I use weed to cope but at least my habit is actually good for me. When I smoke, I engage with reality on a deeper level and moves towards it, not away from it- whereas I think alcohol is duckin reality.

Also I don't care what anyone says- I'm tired of people not reading. I think we should be reading books and buying books on a regular basis and being people of depth and substance. I think, people in the United States, that we should start celebrating intellectual achievement. We should turn off to the TV and read and read to and in front of the kids. My nephew saw my books and saw me reading and it made him think reading is cool- I was taught the opposite. I saw him pick up Alice in Wonderland and start reading it and that was a good moment- as weird as that book is, lol.

The medium is the message. That's the truth. If your format is a rap video, 160 characters, an action movie or a 600-page philosophy book from the 1700's, all those different formats influence the overall message received by the person who digests your work. You have to set up conditions for the cultivation of depth in a culture designed to cultivate superficiality, the cultivation of love in a culture that undermines that, etc. This sort of thing is a life-long project but I think it's worth it.
This post was last modified: 08-19-2016, 12:56 AM by BaronAmity.
The following 2 users Like BaronAmity's post:
  • Pomegranate, 24theking