#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Is Quran sufficient in itself?

08-17-2016, 04:43 PM #1
Overcomer
Knight
Is the Quran the primary source of religious guidance for Islam, or is it one of the primary sources of Islam (the other sources being the Sunnah and the Hadiths). Is the Quran sufficient in itself for a Muslim to practise Islam?

If the Quran is insufficient in itself, how can this even be called the word of God? Are the other sources (Sunnah and Hadiths) supposed to be preserved just as the Quran is said to be preserved? If not, how can one rely on them. What proof is there that they are not corrupted or fabricated. Do not many hadiths contradict other hadiths? By what criterion does one judge which is authentic?

I have researched this on the internet and I am getting contradictory and confusing answers.

Gal 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

08-17-2016, 05:05 PM #2
Alex
Chaplain
I often wonder why Christians feel the need to attack other religions other then spread what they find to be good about their own?

If these boards were any indicator, there is just nothing good about Christianity worth spreading. Clearly the 1st of the ten commandments today is attack thy neighbor. If there is any doubt to this, just browse the thread titles.

Yet another attack on Islam, another day on VC forums. (yawns)

"My heart is at ease knowing that what was meant for me will never
miss me and that what misses me was never meant for me"

~Umar Ibn Al-Khattab (ra)

The following 3 users Like Alex's post:
  • MoroccanEyes, Tarikko, DesertRose1

08-17-2016, 05:50 PM #3
FlixKandish
Chaplain
Asking a few questions doesn't equal attacking. Dude/ette opened the thread looking for answers and as usual, all alex can do is point the finger the other way, make biased accusations and derail. 

Overcomer, every muslim is gonna have a different answer. Some are quran purists, some follow all hadith and sunnah, too, some reject parts of sunnah and hadith, that's why you can't find a straight answer.
This post was last modified: 08-17-2016, 05:51 PM by FlixKandish. Edit Reason: Is, not it.
The following 3 users Like FlixKandish's post:
  • Artful Revealer, That1kid, Al Mualim

08-17-2016, 06:48 PM #4
Alex
Chaplain
(08-17-2016, 05:50 PM)FlixKandish Wrote:  Asking a few questions doesn't equal attacking. Dude/ette opened the thread looking for answers and as usual, all alex can do is point the finger the other way, make biased accusations and derail. 

Overcomer, every muslim is gonna have a different answer. Some are quran purists, some follow all hadith and sunnah, too, some reject parts of sunnah and hadith, that's why you can't find a straight answer.

Amazing how an atheist always has a say when it involves Islam, Isn't it?  

Even when its a Christian asking about Islam, the one who denies God outright always has an opinion.  Why is that?  
A thinking person should ask themselves, why does this godless person care to begin with?

Questions are rhetorical.

I might be sensitive
Quote:If the Quran is insufficient in itself, how can this even be called the word of God

But is that not an attack on Islam?

Once again, rhetorical.

I brushed this thread off because its questions have been answered here repeatedly.

There are likely Muslims here who will still entertain it.  This Muslim is tired of the barking of dogs.

If your wondering how i was able to read your post RT when i have you ignored... I just wondered wth an atheist has to do in a thread with a Christian asking questions about Islam.  Imagine my surprise to see your response.

Please reply thinking your opinion matters to me.

The following 5 users Like Alex's post:
  • MoroccanEyes, Tarikko, EliasP, Kung Fu, DesertRose1

08-17-2016, 07:27 PM #5
DesertRose1
Chaplain
Lol brother Alex, I like that quote but you forgot the  part about '..... and the caravan moves on." Islam moves on brother alhamdullilah. May the Satanists despair Big Grin .....

Overcomer. life is not 2 dimensional the prophet's explanations are there to clarify and explain things that require for example a more hands on explanation as in how to wash up for prayers or perform the hajj rites. People need to see many recommended good deeds in action and the prophet is our role model.

The prophet implemented the Quranic injunctions and is a role model for us to emulate. He is the Quran in action hence the Quran is not to be a dusty book on the shelf at the university or home.

The adab /manners of the Prophets:
http://www.islamicity.org/6272/the-adab-...phet-pbuh/
"O People, and understand words which I convey to you. I leave behind me two things, the QURAN and my example, the SUNNAH and if you follow these you will never go astray." The Prophet’s last Sermon delivered on the Ninth Day of Dhul Hijjah 10 A.H in the Uranah Valley of Mount Arafat.

Who is the model for humanity? Most positively, it is none other than the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). “You have indeed in the messenger of Allah a good example for those of you who look to Allah and the Last Day, and remember Allah always.” (Qur’an 33:21).

The prophet (pbuh) engaged the Qur’an at a deep spiritual level, lady ‘Aisha, Mother of The Faithful described his character as a likeness of the Qur’an. In her words she said, “He was the Qur’an walking.”

Human's need an obtainable example of how to worship the creator and implement His laws on earth.
This post was last modified: 08-17-2016, 08:04 PM by DesertRose1.

"Its better to walk alone, than with a crowd going in the wrong direction."
“O people, spread peace (extend greetings), feed the hungry, and pray at night when people are sleeping and you will enter Paradise in peace.”
[Sunan Ibn Majah 1334 (Sahih)]
The following 7 users Like DesertRose1's post:
  • slave_of_God, Pomegranate, celle76, MoroccanEyes, Tarikko, Alex, EliasP

08-17-2016, 08:23 PM #6
FlixKandish
Chaplain
Personally attacking me because you see me as lower than you doesn't answer OP'S question.

My lack of faith does not mean my brain can't think or know about religions, lol!

Do you have an answer to OP that is more explanatory than mine? Because I have yet to see substance and it's sad when the atheist has more than the self proclaimed convert.

Islam comes in all shapes and sizes, all levels of belief or acceptance of books. Do you hold all sunnah and hadith as 100% truth?
The following 1 user Likes FlixKandish's post:
  • Artful Revealer

08-17-2016, 09:08 PM #7
Alex
Chaplain
(08-17-2016, 07:27 PM)DesertRose1 Wrote:  Lol brother Alex, I like that quote but you forgot the  part about '..... and the caravan moves on." Islam moves on brother alhamdullilah. May the Satanists despair Big Grin .....

Yes, i know its all spitting at the moon. But one does get tired of it. Especially when it repeatedly comes from the same people.

Seeing Over is a trinitarian i highly doubt he's looking for an actual answer, but God knows best.

Let them go on attacking the last testament, a day is approaching with a truth none will be able to deny.

السلام عليكم

The following 3 users Like Alex's post:
  • slave_of_God, Tarikko, DesertRose1

08-17-2016, 09:22 PM #8
FlixKandish
Chaplain
Again

Questions do not equal attack. 

Why do you choose to live in a glass house?

08-17-2016, 09:45 PM #9
Alex
Chaplain
(08-17-2016, 06:48 PM)Alex Wrote:  Please reply thinking your opinion matters to me.

The following 2 users Like Alex's post:
  • slave_of_God, Tarikko

08-18-2016, 02:07 AM #10
Thunderian
Chaplain
One thing that has struck me over and over is how much Islam hates being asked questions.  

Answering questions about my faith is one of the joys of being a Christian.  Even if the question is from the wrong place, the answer can spread truth.  If Islam was such a great faith, you would think Muslims would be more eager to talk about it.

But, can you blame them?  The Quran itself says:

"O ye who believe! Ask not questions about things which if made plain to you, may cause you trouble. Some people before you did ask such questions, and on that account lost their faith." (Surah 5:101-102)

Boy, that must suck.  

Compare this to the God Christians know, who says, "Come now, and let us reason together."  The Bible has plenty of instances where people ask questions of God, even hard ones, and he doesn't get mad.  For a great example of this read the Book of Habakkuk.

Another remarkable aspect of Islam is how much it relies on hadith to explain itself.  You can read the Bible from cover to cover and understand the message, and what it means to follow Christ.  Not so Islam.  For that, you need hadith.

There are thousands and thousands of them, there is no proven or reasonable provenance for them, and many of them are contradictory to each other and to the Quran.  The hadith collected by one Muslim scholar, Bukhari, numbered more than 7000, and filled nine volumes, and he admitted that he hadn't included all of them.  But without them there is no Islam.

When Muslims tell you that the Quran is the word of God, perfect and unchanged, they are conveniently neglecting to mention the hadith which inform the very way they live their faith.
The following 3 users Like Thunderian's post:
  • Artful Revealer, That1kid, Overcomer