#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Harry Potter

06-26-2015, 05:43 PM #1
bbsion
Marshall
Anyone here read the books? Seen the movies?

Gotta be my favorite fantasy book series of all time. The movies are a hit and miss.

Favorite book in the series is Deathly Hallows.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."

Thomas Jefferson
The following 2 users Like bbsion's post:
  • slave_of_God, Annonymous Damsel

06-27-2015, 03:04 PM #2
SheWatches
Justiciar
I read them all too & enjoyed most of them - I felt the second-to-last book kept the kids out in the woods a little too long though & I could have done without the whole 'Grawp' thing - a useless character that went nowhere & eventually vanished (thankfully) from the storyline.  But the stories were certainly much more 'hit' than 'miss.'

Movie-wise I liked the first two the best for setting up the magical universe - I tended to like the least the movies that felt just because the storyline was getting darker that the films' color palettes had to be darker too.  When filmmakers like Alfonso Cuaron decided to get "gothy" with the Harry Potter Universe they seemed to suck all the magic out of it as well. The storyline remained good in these films, I just got tired of their murky look.  Magic is supposed to be colorful guys - at least the good kind is.

How do they get the "m" on the M&M?
The following 2 users Like SheWatches's post:
  • slave_of_God, Thy Unveiling

06-28-2015, 08:54 AM #3
Daeron
Squire
Absolutely adore them and are one of if not my most favorite Fantasy and children's (First few books anyways) series of all time. It's themes about death, growing up, coming of age, love, etc are absolutely amazingly. Truth be told I love the films but I think some are subpar ala Order of the Phoenix which is my second favorite novel which sadly the move didn't capture the books essence. So many lovely quotes as well. Especially from Dumbledore

The meaning of life is just to be alive. It's so plain and so obvious and so simple. And yet. Everybody rushes around in a great panic as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves. - Alan Watts
The following 1 user Likes Daeron's post:
  • slave_of_God

06-28-2015, 10:56 AM #4
freedmind
Marshall
I've been waiting for a harry potter thread. i was enticed to post one myself the other day. 

this is the story about a boy with a scar on his forehead.
in the actor's recent film/show he is featured on the poster with gigant horns on his head. 

the entire production is filled with symbolism that i have not yet unraveled. 

i just get that malfoy family = nazi (aryan) family. etc etc.
This post was last modified: 06-28-2015, 10:57 AM by freedmind.

only love can
The following 2 users Like freedmind's post:
  • slave_of_God, Trenton

06-28-2015, 07:25 PM #5
Daeron
Squire
(06-28-2015, 10:56 AM)freedmind Wrote:  I've been waiting for a harry potter thread. i was enticed to post one myself the other day. 

this is the story about a boy with a scar on his forehead.
in the actor's recent film/show he is featured on the poster with gigant horns on his head. 

the entire production is filled with symbolism that i have not yet unraveled. 

i just get that malfoy family = nazi (aryan) family. etc etc.
Well JK Rowling did take inspiration of the Holocaust and the segregation used by the Nazi's in Nazi Germany, that is a truth and obvious symbolism especially with the terminology of Mudblood which is used for wizards with muggle parents and no recent history of Wizarding relatives which is an alias for the Jews in WWII. Daniel Radcliffe also starred in a recent movie based on a book both called Horns. Truth be told the religious rights as well as the religious do take things WAY out of context with some things, especially Harry Potter in regards to the magic and wizards and indoctrinating children to the dark arts and "satanism" and Wicca/Neo Paganism. But its a great series with a very complex society with many political subtext inspired by modern genocides and persecutions and oppression of minorities especially with Nazi Germany and very well done themes of growing up and coming of age novels.

The meaning of life is just to be alive. It's so plain and so obvious and so simple. And yet. Everybody rushes around in a great panic as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves. - Alan Watts
The following 3 users Like Daeron's post:
  • slave_of_God, Trenton, Thy Unveiling

06-28-2015, 11:17 PM #6
Sarge
Marshall
Hermione Wink

That is all.
The following 2 users Like Sarge's post:
  • slave_of_God, somewhatconcerned

06-28-2015, 11:45 PM #7
SheWatches
Justiciar
(06-28-2015, 11:17 PM)Sarge Wrote:  Hermione  Wink

That is all.
Rolleyes  ... and this one goes out to the girl fans of all ages:

Harry Potter XMAS Gift

This post was last modified: 06-28-2015, 11:47 PM by SheWatches.

How do they get the "m" on the M&M?
The following 2 users Like SheWatches's post:
  • slave_of_God, Trenton

06-29-2015, 01:42 AM #8
Daeron
Squire
(06-28-2015, 11:17 PM)Sarge Wrote:  Hermione  Wink

That is all.

Emma Watson is bae <3

The following 1 user Likes Daeron's post:
  • slave_of_God

06-29-2015, 02:33 AM #9
freedmind
Marshall
the way you are obsessing about hermione gives me a creepy pedo vibe. 

bleh.

only love can
The following 2 users Like freedmind's post:

06-29-2015, 11:58 AM #10
bbsion
Marshall
I think the first two movies and the last two movies followed the the books the best. The Deathly Hallows was my favorite book and I thought the movies followed it pretty decent. Though there were some minor unnecessary changes made. Movies 3, 4, 5, and 6 had too many changes from the books.

And yes, Emma is very pretty. Smile

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."

Thomas Jefferson
The following 2 users Like bbsion's post: