#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Supreme Court Legalizes Gay Marriage Nationwide

06-26-2015, 03:09 PM #1
Hex
Wanderer
Supreme Court Legalizes Gay Marriage Nationwide

Quote:(26/06/2015) WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Supreme Court ruled 5-4 on Friday that it is legal for all Americans, no matter their gender or sexual orientation, to marry the people they love.

The decision is a historic victory for gay rights activists who have fought for years in the lower courts. Thirty-seven states and the District of Columbia already recognize marriage equality. The remaining 13 states ban these unions, even as public support has reached record levels nationwide.

The justices found that, under the 14th Amendment, states must issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples and recognize same-sex unions that have been legally performed in other states. Justice Anthony Kennedy delivered the majority opinion and was joined by Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Elena Kagan, Stephen Breyer and Sonia Sotomayor. In a rare move, the four dissenting justices each wrote an opinion.

The lead plaintiff in Obergefell v. Hodges is Ohio resident Jim Obergefell, who wanted to be listed as the surviving spouse on his husband's death certificate. In 2013, Obergefell married his partner of two decades, John Arthur, who suffered from ALS. Arthur passed away in October of that year, three months after the couple filed their lawsuit.

Obergefell was joined by several dozen other gay plaintiffs from Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio and Tennessee who were fighting to be able to marry and to have their marriage recognized in every state in the country.

In the majority opinion, the justices outlined several reasons same-sex marriage should be allowed. They wrote that the right to marriage is an inherent aspect of individual autonomy, since "decisions about marriage are among the most intimate that an individual can make." They also said gay Americans have a right to "intimate association" beyond merely freedom from laws that ban homosexuality.

Full article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/26...70036.html
About time I say. Now let's stop bickering about who loves who and why, and focus on the real issues in the world.

"We check and repress the divinity that stirs within us, to fall down and worship the divinity that is dead without us."
--  Henry David Thoreau, 1851

My Site: www.intelligentinfinity.net

06-26-2015, 03:13 PM #2
Loki
Chaplain
Yay America! We're #1 at being slightly behind most other 1st world countries!

“Life is neither good or evil, but only a place for good and evil.”
Marcus Aurelius

"In my opinion, there is a more scientific approach we can take to all hot-button issues. We do this when we stop demonizing the opposing viewpoints or victimizing ourselves, and we acknowledge and account for our own biases and emotions to the best of our ability."
--- Elliott C. Morgan

06-26-2015, 03:25 PM #3
sPEktrall
Chaplain
The supreme court could care less about freedoms or even homosexuals for that matter.  They just want to divide a nation and they will use this to undermine the rights and freedoms of everyone...

Prov 15:7 The lips of the wise disperse knowledge: but the heart of the foolish doeth not so.

06-26-2015, 03:40 PM #4
Loki
Chaplain
(06-26-2015, 03:25 PM)sPEktrall Wrote:  The supreme court could care less about freedoms or even homosexuals for that matter.  They just want to divide a nation and they will use this to undermine the rights and freedoms of everyone...

Wait... do they want to divide a nation or does the nation want to divide itself over something so stupid? The Supreme Court isn't responsible if conservative peoples' heads explode because they can no longer legally discriminate against a group of people. Also, whose rights and freedoms are they undermining? All the homophobic/religious people who already have these basic human rights?

“Life is neither good or evil, but only a place for good and evil.”
Marcus Aurelius

"In my opinion, there is a more scientific approach we can take to all hot-button issues. We do this when we stop demonizing the opposing viewpoints or victimizing ourselves, and we acknowledge and account for our own biases and emotions to the best of our ability."
--- Elliott C. Morgan
The following 1 user Likes Loki's post:
  • somewhatconcerned

06-26-2015, 03:43 PM #5
bbsion
Marshall
I considered not replying for fear of backlash. But, people are entitled to their opinions right?

Personally, I believe the act of homosexuality is against the laws of God. So, this would be a "real" problem facing this world.

However, people should be allowed the freedom to choose to be/remain homosexual or not. Agency is crucial in this life. As long as people are made aware it is against God's laws.

I am not judging the people who are gay. I have my own problems I am working on so how can I? I have friends who are homosexual but I would never attend their wedding and they know it. I respect them, they respect me.

There are friendly ways to get your point across with regard to your personal and religious beliefs. God doesn't "hate" gays. The act of homosexuality is not approved in His eyes though.

Also, just because someone is anti-homosexuality it does not mean they are homophobic/bigot/outdated/haters... whatever other name you want to call them. Smile

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."

Thomas Jefferson

06-26-2015, 04:07 PM #6
Hex
Wanderer
(06-26-2015, 03:25 PM)sPEktrall Wrote:    They just want to divide a nation and they will use this to undermine the rights and freedoms of everyone...
How would you say this move has undermined the freedom of anyone?

This has only undermined the freedom of those who wish to undermine the freedom of others.

"We check and repress the divinity that stirs within us, to fall down and worship the divinity that is dead without us."
--  Henry David Thoreau, 1851

My Site: www.intelligentinfinity.net

The following 1 user Likes Hex's post:
  • somewhatconcerned

06-26-2015, 04:36 PM #7
sPEktrall
Chaplain
The social engineers who control and dictate national policy know exactly how the country will react, everyone has an opinion on the matter, and they will use this as a trojan horse to ultimately undermine freedom of speech.  They will hype this through national media, put clear examples of extremism and hate speech on the news, eventually call for a solution that will involve the restricting of speech...  Its sooooo predictable...    Even if 90% of America was pro gay marriage all they would have to do is take one hillbilly or Bible believing Christian, put their view for everyone to see on the news, and then have all their press outlets cover it and now there is a new evil...  again, its soo predictable...

They care nothing about homosexuals or any sort of move that could be seen as advancement.

Prov 15:7 The lips of the wise disperse knowledge: but the heart of the foolish doeth not so.

06-26-2015, 04:41 PM #8
justjess
Chaplain
how exactly does someone elses romantic relationship/marriage effect anyone other than themselves?

you cant enforce christian law and dogma on a country that has freedom of religion to believe in that or not as they so please.

gay marriage has already been legal for quite a while in many states. the apocolypse has not begun. calm the heck down.

06-26-2015, 04:55 PM #9
bbsion
Marshall
(06-26-2015, 04:41 PM)justjess Wrote:  how exactly does someone elses romantic relationship/marriage effect anyone other than themselves?

My parents marriage affected me.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."

Thomas Jefferson

06-26-2015, 04:58 PM #10
justjess
Chaplain
true. as did mine.

but if you are suggesting that the children involved in gay marriages would be harmed im pretty sure all research has shown the opposite. children need loving parents, thats pretty much it.
The following 1 user Likes justjess's post:
  • somewhatconcerned