#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums

Cognitive Behaviour Therapy

07-06-2016, 09:37 AM #1
The Creeper
This thread is for anyone who needs it and it is my sincerest hope that what I am going to share with you all here will be able to benefit you in some way. I have done a brief 4 week course on cognitive behaviour therapy and most of what I will write here is taken from the booklets that I was given but shortened into my own words with some of my own thoughts thrown in. I was given it for free so I will share it for free.

As we know, being the kind of people who visit this site, MK Ultra was a thing in the 60s and “they” certainly haven’t stopped, if anything their methods will only get more refined as time goes on. While this kind of mind control is very personal, there is also the issue of mass mind control and the conditioning of society, which affects us all.

Mind control is usually built on a foundation of trauma. With all the problems that we face in society, it might not be too surprising to hear that 1 in 5 people are stressed. The most common form of stress is a mixture of anxiety (tension, nerves) and depression (feeling low and sad). This is a normal emotion, which we will all feel at some point in our lives but when we have too much of it and we can’t get rid of it and it affects our day to day lives it becomes a problem.

There is a clear link between stress and social factors. People living in poor areas in our cities are twice as likely to be stressed as those in the wealthiest areas. Having money problems, being a single parent, a lack of control over your life, poor education, poor health, not having any support and bad neighbours can all contribute to our stress levels. Common signs of stress can include; worry, tiredness, anger, poor sleep, feeling worthless, feeling hopeless, feeling irritable, panic attack, feeling on edge, poor concentration, unable to switch off, always expecting the worst, tearful and drink/drug use.

While the reasons we get stressed can vary from person to person (as we are all individuals), when you have a problem with too much stress it often feeds itself with a vicious cycle. Our thoughts affect our behaviours, which affect our physical feelings, which affect our thoughts, or the other way round.

Another way of looking at it is, someone says “I’m too stressed, I can’t do this, I can’t be bothered” etc... Then they stop doing things, like going outside and seeing friends or doing other things. This may provide some short term relief because they conrol what is happening (by not going/doing it), but in the long term it only causes more stress because avoiding these things allows them to build up.

By avoiding things and staying in our perceived comfort zones we keep ourselves trapped in a vicious cycle, we never challenge these negative thoughts and could miss out on opportunities to grow. It is all about breaking the cycle, although you may feel slightly uncomfortable and afraid by putting yourself out there, you should still do things anyway because in the long run it will only benefit you. We can’t completely change overnight but we can do it in steps. Take for example someone who is afraid of being in public and refuses to go outside, they could start by just going outside the front door and take a few steps further away everyday, perhaps they start off having a friend with them and then eventually try on their own.

People who are stressed often feel that their mind is taken over by it. You may feel you are loosing control over your life, that you are going mad, that you can’t cope with things that everyone else can cope with.

Stress can certainly make you feel like you cope less well than others, yet we know how much of a common problem it is. Think of how many times and how well you may have been able to hide the fact that you are stressed or angry or upset from others. Now consider how many people may be hiding those same feelings from you. Once you can recognise the signs of stress you might even start seeing it in a lot of people.

Stress affects everyone. Young and old, outgoing or shy, clever or dim, male or female, rich or poor. You just have too much of a normal emotion. Like blood pressure, we all have it but if it is high constantly you may have a problem.

As a general rule of thumb. The more you think you are going mad, the less you are. You know you shouldn’t be thinking or feeling like this but you just can’t stop. This is called insight. People on the whole, are not keen to admit they have problems. They may have become good at putting on a mask to hide it. A problem in your mind is just as real and just as painful as any physical problem. The difference is we can see a “real” physical problem like a broken leg and we know what can be done about it, what caused it and how long it will take to heal. Not so in the mind, you may not know why you have stress or what to do to help it or how long it will take before you are feeling better.

More to come, God willing...
This post was last modified: 07-07-2016, 06:20 AM by The Creeper. Edit Reason: Image

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool – William Shakespear

07-06-2016, 11:30 AM #2
The Creeper
Before you start doing things to help you get on top of stress, it is a good idea to stop doing things that could be making the stress worse.

Many people with drink problems developed drink problems by using alcohol to “calm their nerves”. If you are drinking alcohol to cope with stress, you may start to depend on it, like a crutch. The same goes for a lot of drugs. They may seem like they help, but they only make your problems worse in the long run. They can also wreak havoc on your sleep patterns, which is important, but we will go into more detail on that later on.

Another thing we drink that can make stress worse and affect our sleep patterns is caffeine. Caffeine is a stimulant that affects the central nervous system. Low levels of caffeine can help you think more clearly, keep you alert and help you work for longer. However, the effects of too much caffeine can be very similar to those of stress; feeling nervous, irritable, agitated, shaky, headaches, muscle twitches, flushed face, upset stomach, increased heart rate, speeded up breathing, poor sleep. There is an abundance of caffeine, which is seen as more socially acceptable than any other drug, so it is too easy for us to do too much. Just one can of energy drink can meet your daily caffeine limit, never mind all those cups of tea and coffee, chocolate and fizzy drinks like coke or pepsi. If you slowly cut down on your caffeine intake you may notice that you start to feel better if you are having too much (which is far too easy in western society). Don’t just go cold turkey and cut it out of your life completely because that will just give you withdrawal symptoms that will make you feel even worse. Like a lot of things, it is best taken one step at a time rather than all in one go.

Looking for a Miracle cure
Speaking of taking things one step at a time. No on else can control your stress for you. It takes a long time to build up and it is not going to disappear completely overnight. It is going to take time and effort. You are not trying to eliminate stress because that isn’t possible, you are trying to control it, which can be done through working on it one day at a time.

Another thing to avoid too much of is reassurance. This can be nice in the short term but you can become dependent on it. If you are constantly seeking reassurance from others it will get annoying, which can lead to friction in your relationships and in turn, more stress. You have to feel strong enough to stand on your own two feet and seek your own answers.

If people under stress have one great skill, it is this. Beating yourself up doesn’t help. If things go wrong, accept them. Learn from your mistakes and get on with things. You have to learn how to pat yourself on the back every time you try to combat your stress. This will help your self-confidence to pick up.

Common sense tells us that if something is making you more tense and uncomfortable then you should avoid it. Common sense is wrong. Avoiding things might make you feel good in the short term, but in the long run you are just building up more trouble for yourself. You have to face up to whatever problems you have in your life. Facing them will be hard in the short term, but in the long run it will only help you.

You must check that your stress is not trying to tell you that there is something wrong in your life. Because stress exists for a reason. There could be problems in your life that you are not always aware of so think about your relationships, children, parents, friends, work, sexual issues, maturity, dependency on others or drink/drugs. There may not be easy answers if you do have problems with any of these things, but knowing there is a problem is a starting point. If you never face up to your problems they will only get worse.

Things we can do to help ourselves include keeping a routine, don’t stop doing things because you are feeling low. We are creatures of habit and having a set routine is healthy for us. We should also talk because we are social creatures and it isn’t healthy to bottle up all your emotions. Don’t hide how you are feeling, accept it. Talk to a trusted friend or a loved one and get those worries off your chest. Maybe they will have advice that you never thought of, but even if they don’t it should make you feel better. Exercise can be helpful as well, for obvious reasons, but if you can get outside and enjoy some fresh air and sunlight you will notice that it makes you feel better. By all means, do whatever you enjoy doing when it comes to exercise but for the less sporting people out there, just walking around the block for half an hour counts as exercise.

Here are a couple of techniques that people use when they feel themselves becoming stressed or worried.

“Worry time”
Put aside 15 minutes in the evening and call it your “worry time”. This is your time to worry about things that have bothered you throughout the day. So if you start to worry or get stressed about something in the morning, you stop and tell yourself to store it up for your “worry time” later that night and just carry on with your day. At the start of your “worry time” you need to think about what you were going to worry about and worry about it. Chances are, you won’t even remember it or feel it isn’t worth the worry. Even if you do, you may find it hard to force yourself to feel worried about it.

EDIT: After talking to someone last night, there are some things that you have to think about in order to deal with them, otherwise you are avoiding them. This applies more to those minor annoyances that just wind you up and is a way of not dwelling too much on them and letting them get to you. Before I heard of "worry time" I would ask myself "Is this problem, actually a problem? Is it worth me getting fustrated over it"

Breathing retraining/Abdominal breathing
This is where you breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. Focus on your breathing, when we are stressed we tend to breathe a lot faster (hyperventilating), so slow it down and be as calm, comfortable and relaxed as you can be. The exhale should be longer than the inhale and you should take the breath in to your diaphragm at the bottom of your lungs. I have been using this technique myself and I will vouch for it.

EDIT: You can also count to 20 while you are controlling your breathing. Say "1" in your head on the inhale, ""2" on the exhale. If anyone feels like they know some stuff that can add to this thread then by all means do so. Breathing is a big technique Smile
This post was last modified: 07-07-2016, 06:26 AM by The Creeper. Edit Reason: Added a missing letter and a bit more information towards the end

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool – William Shakespear
The following 10 users Like The Creeper's post:
  • Pront, Goku, Thy Unveiling, Vytas, Serendipity, Tarikko, Al Mualim, damien50, MaryJane, Trenton

07-06-2016, 11:59 AM #3
Very good and analytic piece this is. The Invisible wars that have no flag, nor psychical presents are the one's that creep in, and destroy us mentally, and psychically without us really knowing due to us being fixated on other stuff.

Though, I do believe certain drugs can be useful. Mushrooms was pretty much one of biggest events that concluded to me there is G-D.
This post was last modified: 07-06-2016, 12:00 PM by MoroccanEyes.

Faith is a rebel I can show you the Devil. 
Proud to come from both A Christian & Muslim background. Unity is a Must. Imagine what Jesus (pbuh) Muhammed (pbuh) would think about our petty ''differences''.G-D is source.

Resistance Axis: Russia, Iran, China, Syria, Hezbollah, Palestine, Venezuela, Bolivia, Yemen. The only nations that can put down the zionist beast - The list gets shorter, but the resistance gets stronger. 
The following 5 users Like MoroccanEyes's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, BaronAmity, Trenton, Tarikko, The Creeper

07-06-2016, 12:41 PM #4
The Creeper
(07-06-2016, 11:59 AM)MoroccanEyes Wrote:  Very good and analytic piece this is. The Invisible wars that have no flag, nor psychical presents are the one's that creep in, and destroy us mentally, and psychically without us really knowing due to us being fixated on other stuff.

Though, I do believe certain drugs can be useful. Mushrooms was pretty much one of biggest events that concluded to me there is G-D.

It is going to take me longer to post all this information than I thought, hopefully I can get it all in here by the end of the week. I thought I could get it all on here today but apparantly not. I am also still learning about this myself and the majority of it is coming from some booklets I got off the NHS.

I thought it would be nice if we could have a discussion on here that was beneficial, because I think this affects more people than most of us realise and it ties into a lot of things. I know I was surprised by how many people showed up to the lectures.

As for drugs. It depends on if you use them or abuse them. Most of them are evil in my opinion, particularly alcohol, heroine and any white powder. Weed and shrooms are the only things I can possibly justify. I have done a lot of drugs in the past. Its nothing to be proud of but I do kind of feel qualified to talk about them, seeing as I have done basically all of them. But having been there, done that, got the t-shirt and having limited time right now, I would rather not make it all about drugs or religion in this thread because I know they can put some people off and I don't want them to throw the baby out with the bathwater. It would be easy for me to link the jinn and the NWO system to all this but I am trying to focus on how to help people rather than what started it.
This post was last modified: 07-06-2016, 12:41 PM by The Creeper.

The following 4 users Like The Creeper's post:
  • MaryJane, Thy Unveiling, Trenton, Tarikko

07-06-2016, 01:19 PM #5
Would meditation in a non or spiritual way help?

The Continuation of the Truth

Isaiah 55:8-9 KJV For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord . [9] For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
The following 4 users Like damien50's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, Trenton, The Creeper, Tarikko

07-06-2016, 03:43 PM #6
are you aiming to talk about actual cbt?
The following 3 users Like justjess's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, Trenton, The Creeper

07-06-2016, 04:37 PM #7
The Creeper
Eventually, hopefully yes Smile. I looked into it because I thought it would help me out. I thought the information would be useful for people here. If anyone knows more about it than me, which is likely, then by all means chime in.

Meditation definitely helps bro. Prayer is basically the same thing for me.

The following 5 users Like The Creeper's post:
  • Tarikko, MaryJane, Thy Unveiling, damien50, Trenton

07-06-2016, 04:58 PM #8
My therapist uses a CBT modality. In fact i think most therapists in the USA do. I will say that these things are pretty simple to try yourself at home as well.

CBT has made dramatic improvements on my life. Though the practises can be hard to maintain, especially if one suffers from a severe mental illness.

Ive also thought about seeing a different therapist to try out EMDR treatment. But thats an entirely different approach aimed at PTSD.

Theres also DBT, (dialectic behaviour therapy) but i have no idea what it is. Or what the differences between CBT and DBT are. Most therapists wont really discuss their modality, but rather just talk to you and guide you each session. 

I kind of wish therapists would discuss the modality with their patients though, because i think most folks have more insight than they realise, or more insight than the care provider realises.

Keeping a journal to keep tabs on your stressors, and what you did to work on them can really be beneficial. Though i have a hard time getting myself to do that.

A quick explanation of DBT and/VS. CBT, for anyone interested.
This post was last modified: 07-06-2016, 05:01 PM by Trenton.

The most high exalting and I ain't halting 'til I die of exhaustion and inhale my exhaust fumes.
The following 2 users Like Trenton's post:
  • The Creeper, Thy Unveiling

07-06-2016, 09:57 PM #9
Thy Unveiling
Some of that stuff sounds like pure bs "save it for Worry Time'" who the hell came up with that concept? Some wealthy single person with no kids? I don't recall hearing that when I was learning about CBT, but it could have been one of those things my memory pushed out because it's horsepoo IMO. I suppose it could be useful for some matters, but other issues can't be pushed back. (I frequently try, without success, to inform others who are raising my stress levels "I can't deal with this right now" or "Don't get me started right now." Actually today was a case of both, back to back; first by a neighbor then my mother, while I was already being pushed past my limit with a whiny tot in high temperatures..."Save it for Worry Time" who tf.....so stupid.)

The avoidance thing also wasn't something they talked about. My therapist I had in 2011 gave me a book, and one of the "lessons" was to cut people out of my life who trigger my meltdowns and stuff like that. Perhaps this was because of my BPD, idk, but she stressed "Even if it's family." At the time, my mom was one of the key instigators due to her being relentless. She's actually the one who sorta caused me to jump out of the van while she was driving, on my case about all the things that were already bothering me and that I was already trying-with no luck-to work on...I informed her of what she was doing, but she kept going. So I decided if I'm so horrible, I might as well die then. Obviously that didn't happen, but that's how I ended up in a mental hospital for two weeks, which led me to my therapist suggesting I cut her our of my life. So I did, for a very rough year where I missed her terribly. I cried a lot because it hurt so much. But I guess I hurt her a lot, too, cuz we have made improvements in our relationship. It's far from perfect, but it's better than it was. Sometimes you have to cut ties in order to make improvements. Sometimes you can reunite down the road. Sometimes some people are simply toxic and you're better off without them.

I've been debating going back to the local mental health center, but I live in an area where single parents are made to suffer in silence because around here when you reach out for help and you have a kid, the doctors call CAS who will show up that night ready to take your kid. I went in for postpartum depression and they showed up to take my daughter while I was feeding her. If I hadn't been living with my mom at the time, they would have taken her right then. So I'm terrified. It sucks. I feel like I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown (not because of my kids, just the way society is deliberately designed to screw us all over and I'm getting hit from every angle imaginable.) Somedays it's hard to stay strong when on the inside I'm falling apart and just really, really need some quiet time alone to just Be. I try hard to be a good mom, but I know I could benefit from a refresher course in both CBT and anger management because I know slamming doors and yelling at filthy flies daring to enter my home isn't exactly setting a good example. But it's also not a reason for those bastards to take her away from me, but take her away they will using "these are red flags" as an excuse. When really they just want to abuse her satanically because she's beautiful and they're sick "swear words" around here. There's actually a number of doctors here working hand-in-hand with the CAS and falsify documents and everything to make the parents look unfit. Once They have your kid, good luck getting it back. Hm. But I suppose I should save it for effing Worry Time.

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

There's only one true judge and that's God; so chill and let Our Father do His job
The following 3 users Like Thy Unveiling's post:
  • Trenton, The Creeper, MaryJane

07-07-2016, 06:32 AM #10
The Creeper
In case I haven’t pointed this out already, I am still learning all this myself. There is a lot of stuff to cover but I will get it all in here eventually. If it is a bit haphazard I do apologise, I am trying to get it across in the clearest way I can. A lot of it is just going to be techniques that anybody can apply to their lives if they feel they need to. I’m not exactly qualified in this in any way, but I can see its usefulness.

20 ways to cope

1) Deal with problems on the spot.
Don’t bottle up your feelings, they will grow and grow inside you until they erupt. This will weaken your sense of control. So, if there are problems at work for example, make sure you deal with them on the spot. Don’t keep putting things off until tomorrow.

2) Strong relationships.
Stress often makes us harder to live with and this can weaken relationships. But we know that strong relationships can help fight stress. So if you have a weak relationship you should work on it.

3) Slow down.
Don’t do things at 100 miles an hour. It’s not always safe and you might miss things. Eat, walk, read and drive more slowly. If you don’t get as much done as you would like it is no big deal. While I am all for living everyday as though it might be my last, I also realise that it probably won’t be.

4) Divide problems up.
If you face a huge problem and can see no way to cope with it, see if you can divide it up into little tiny pieces. Then tackle each part one at a time. Dividing things up and then conquering them is a tried and proven strategy. Use it against your own problems.

5) Must dos and should dos.
Some things in life we just have to do, others are optional. For example “I must see my mother today” and “I should offer to run the football team this year”. Work out what is reasonable for you to achieve and be happy with this.

6) Coping with ruts.
If you feel as though you are stuck in a rut right now, then think about changing it. Do something different, go for a drive, visit friends, go for a long walk, take up a new hobby, learn about something, and take up a challenge. If you can, plan something and go away on the odd weekend as a change of scenery can help.

7) One thing at a time.
Imagine a guy at work cradling a phone between his shoulder blade and his ear. With one hand he is typing something and with the other he is searching through some papers. Then he decides to take a bite out of a sandwich. He is overloading the system by trying to do to many things at once. He should just be focusing on the phone call and nothing else.

8) Look and sound relaxed.
Other people will pick up on how you are feeling by your body language. We do it without even thinking and your own body language effects you as well. Try to look relaxed. Don’t sit on the edge of your seat, slow down your speech, relax your shoulders, don’t fidget. Ask those close to you how you act when you are tense so you know what changes to make. If someone walks around with a nasty frown on their face all day that is what they are projecting to everyone and you think they are likely feeling inside. Even people who haven’t read it in a book know that a smile is an act of charity. It feels good to smile and it feels good to show it to other people.

9) Past experiences.
If you are in a jam, ask yourself if you have ever been in a similar jam before. How did you deal with it? If what you did worked, try it again. If it didn’t, learn from your mistakes.

10) Don’t accept other people’s targets.
Do people expect too much of you? Some people you trust may have good advice for you but don’t know your limitations. It goes without saying that some people you meet in life will try to manipulate you. Have a quiet word and try to sort things out. If you can’t agree, say “No”.

11) Eating.
If your body is healthy it will affect your mind. If you have a poor diet where you don’t eat any fruits or vegetables or juice for vitamins, or eat way too many sweets and meats, not enough carbohydrates, whatever it is, you might want to think about changing it. Cut down on the sugars, salts, fats, chemicals and GMO’s. You are what you eat. Don’t eat too much or too little.

12) Smoking.

Some people find that smoking helps them to relax. But smoking kills. It also floods the body with nicotine, which is harder to kick than heroine, which stimulates the body and may increase feelings of stress. Try to stop, or at least cut down if you smoke like a chimney.

13) Situations out of your control.
There are some things in life that happen which are simply out of our control. If you just accept that you can’t do anything to change things for the better, it can help. A lot. I can give a few examples from my own life. International fuckery being one of them but im not going into that right now. I will mention the time I got hit by a motorbike where I survived without serious injury because I knew there was no avoiding it and I accepted my fate. So I hasn't all tensed up, I was limp, there is a kind of science to it but I can't think of the words at the moment.

14) Build relaxation into your life.

No matter how busy you are, put aside some time just for yourself and do something relaxing. Go for a walk or a bike ride, do a bit of gardening, read a book, listen to some music (or play an instrument if you can and just jam). Try to keep this time for yourself.

15) Prioritise.

If you have a lot going on, you need to figure out what has to be done and what can wait. Put these priorities in order. It might help if you write them down and keep revising your list, because getting your priorities right is important.

16) Do the worst thing first.
If you have a list of things to do, do the thing you least want to do first. Just get it out the way and its done, no longer burdening your mind thus making your other tasks easier to cope with. If you leave it, it can prey on your mind and may seem a lot worse than it really is.

17) Don’t try to be a hero.
Do you try to do it all? Succeed at everything? Be the very best? Why? It may be for a noble goal but make sure you are not asking too much of yourself. Stick to your good points and learn to live with your faults. Accept that you are not perfect. None of us are. To quote a star trek film “Don’t try to be a great man, just try to be a man”

18) Confide in others.
If there are people around you who you can trust, let them know how you feel. They might be able to see a way out of problems that you haven’t thought of. In any case, getting things off your chest can help. It can also reduce the feelings of loneliness that are so common among the stressed.

19) Other people’s shoes.
Imagine you have a problem. Now, imagine how you would react if a friend came to with that same problem. What advice would you give them? Would that advice work for you?

20) Keep up a routine.

If you are off work, make sure you still get up early, get dressed, eat cooked meals at set times. As far as you can, make sure you do the same things that you normally do. Keeping a structure to your day will help you deal with problems and make you feel better.
This post was last modified: 07-07-2016, 06:46 AM by The Creeper.

The following 6 users Like The Creeper's post:
  • Tulpa, Thy Unveiling, Trenton, Tarikko, Al Mualim, Goku