recent church experience

07-04-2016, 12:01 PM #1
waynecody
Squire
Went to church this weekend after being out of the loop for many years
Strange 
- no one had a bible all was posted on the screen or handed out
- music so loud you couldn't hear your own voice or anyone else
- message focused on how many times something was repeated in a passage or all about the future without focus on how msg applies to right now.  More a msg on how to break down a passage vs the actual message
- high focus on bringing others to church and saving souls (rather than any concern on getting your own cleaned up first)
- multiple TVs did all the talking except for person giving the actual sermon...videos from the moment you walked in until the final goodbye

I usually get some sort of "warmth" after attending any church no matter how boring or bizarre but I had no feeling whatsoever after leaving this pretty popular one.  Do not doubt some folks were deeply moved as believe God reaches the genuine seekers no matter the environment but I left feeling disturbed and an unusual emptiness.
The following 7 users Like waynecody's post:
  • MaryJane, Floss, MissCherokee, EliasP, BaronAmity, Claire Rousseau, Lady

07-04-2016, 12:07 PM #2
Lady
Chaplain
I have visited such churches. What you described as your experience reminds me of the indoctrination methods used in George Orwell's 1984 with the big screen announcements/meetings promoting the ideals of the great leader in a hypnotic fashion. Here is a word for that worship culture: "group-think."

The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.  Jeremiah 31:3
The following 4 users Like Lady's post:
  • Floss, MissCherokee, EliasP, BaronAmity

07-04-2016, 12:30 PM #3
Renegade
Marshall
(07-04-2016, 12:07 PM)Lady Wrote:  I have visited such churches. What you described as your experience reminds me of the indoctrination methods used in George Orwell's 1984 with the big screen announcements/meetings promoting the ideals of the great leader in a hypnotic fashion. Here is a word for that worship culture: "group-think."

Worship is the part God turns up for... 

He don't come for the word...

There should be balance.. Smile

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. 
If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them;
If I find them too obnoxious, I break them. 
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for 
everything I do..."

Robert A. Heinlein

07-04-2016, 04:34 PM #4
BaronAmity
Marshall
I feel bad about not going to church but I feel worse when I do go. I think a lot of churches ain't what they're supposed to be. I guess I'll have to try this more conservative one I heard about.
The following 2 users Like BaronAmity's post:
  • MaryJane, Floss

07-04-2016, 06:10 PM #5
EliasP
Justiciar
(07-04-2016, 12:01 PM)waynecody Wrote:  Went to church this weekend after being out of the loop for many years
Strange 
I am familiar with scripture being projected/sheets of paper being handed out, but I've never heard of people not having any bibles available. That's seems like a whole new stage of neglect.

What kind of music was it? How did the church appear from the outside and within? What activities are there besides sermon/praise & worship? What is it like for the teenagers and what is it like for the children?

- message focused on how many times something was repeated in a passage or all about the future without focus on how msg applies to right now.  More a msg on how to break down a passage vs the actual message
While reoccurrence of a word can be made to fit into a narrative and establish connections with other passages, you can easily do that stuff back at home. As for the future:

Matt. 6:34 "So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

"Being a prophet is a thankless task. Things always exceed what we prophesy. Things are on the move, transforming the prejudices, obscurities, and complexities of the past with a hard, but orderly hand. How can we even begin to say what tomorrow will bring when we can hardly understand what is happening today!" - Joseph Goebbels

- high focus on bringing others to church and saving souls (rather than any concern on getting your own cleaned up first)
For it shall come to pass in that day that the churches which are built up, and not unto the Lord, when the one shall say unto the other: Behold, I, I am the Lord’s; and the others shall say: I, I am the Lord’s; and thus shall every one say that hath built up churches, and not unto the Lord—And they shall contend one with another; and their priests shall contend one with another, and they shall teach with their learning, and deny the Holy Ghost, which giveth utterance. (2 Nephi)

Yes, they should always prioritize keeping themselves unstained first.

- multiple TVs did all the talking except for person giving the actual sermon...videos from the moment you walked in until the final goodbye
Modern conveniences are no substitute for hard work. Convenient lifestyle is one imposed by the world system, to keep the masses busy and preoccupied, to the point that God keeps trying to get their attention by disrupting their lifestyle! (it can get frustrating...)

Gen. 3:17-19 still applies today. If I had the full enablement (blood of Jesus + the Holy Spirit), God willing, I'd travel through all of the inhabited continents and get things done the old fashioned way (with some help from multimedia I suppose, the tool should never become the master).

(07-04-2016, 12:01 PM)waynecody Wrote:  I usually get some sort of "warmth" after attending any church no matter how boring or bizarre but I had no feeling whatsoever after leaving this pretty popular one.  Do not doubt some folks were deeply moved as believe God reaches the genuine seekers no matter the environment but I left feeling disturbed and an unusual emptiness.
It's probably ideal to find a smaller church. The bigger ones are more at risk of being corrupted imo. When I made the transition to a bigger church (it was not an option, the small church I was in moved to that one), it changed everything. For eight to nine years, I haven't been to a church.

Well said!
This post was last modified: 07-04-2016, 06:17 PM by EliasP.
The following 3 users Like EliasP's post:
  • MaryJane, Floss, damien50

07-05-2016, 02:34 AM #6
Thunderian
Chaplain
Don't go to that church any more.
The following 6 users Like Thunderian's post:
  • MaryJane, Claire Rousseau, Floss, damien50, MissCherokee, BaronAmity

07-05-2016, 02:46 AM #7
damien50
Chaplain
+1 To Elias

My church has less than fifty and the smaller congregations are either crazy or on point.

I attended a church at one point where almost all the women were sleeping with the pastor to reach a higher spirituality.

I attended another where the pastor was taking all the tithes and his wine would come to church in full Gucci after  taking a vacation to Hawaii.

Good luck - Ask them if they like Peter Ruckman or Joel Osteen.

The Continuation of the Truth

Isaiah 55:8-9 KJV For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord . [9] For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
The following 2 users Like damien50's post:
  • Claire Rousseau, BaronAmity

07-05-2016, 03:57 AM #8
MissCherokee
Knight
(07-04-2016, 12:01 PM)waynecody Wrote:  Went to church this weekend after being out of the loop for many years
Strange 

I usually get some sort of "warmth" after attending any church no matter how boring or bizarre but I had no feeling whatsoever after leaving this pretty popular one.  Do not doubt some folks were deeply moved as believe God reaches the genuine seekers no matter the environment but I left feeling disturbed and an unusual emptiness.

Pretty much says it all.. sounds cold and sterile in a sense. But , remember what the Lord teaches us about all things ,
' Ye shall know them by their fruits ' which means you will be able to judge something as from God or not , by what it produces .. if it is good or not , you will know by a things action or output etc.,. what it does .. good or bad? Any  degrees of either good or bad ?
 At lease you went seeking , and imo that is a good thing. Don't give up because of priest craft  definition of :Priestcraft. Men preaching and setting themselves up for a light to the world that they may get gain and praise of the world; they do not seek the welfare of Zion ...  because most denominations pay their clergy and preachers ,  like wages for a job or labor ...they have an incentive to recruit more members to get tithing out of .
When you find that sort of thing , bail. But , once again I commend you for seeking out a decent congregation ,and for having standards of what a church should be doing , manner of teaching , how much of the scriptures  a church studies are important . Leaving this particular church feeling ' cold ' means their was no Spirit of the Lord being taught there, and it showed from the sermon and service you attended.
A church , imo , must be warm and sincere , and not flashy . It should be humble , yet functional. Also , I feel the leaders of a church as in a  preacher , priest , or clergy , should not be paid by the  congregation of the church for their leadership and evangelical calling. They should be there out of a sense of duty , loyalty , and love. Not for a paycheck.  Nothing is worse in this scenario than church leadership that gets wealthy from the tithes of  it's congregation and flaunts that wealth , always wanting and or needing more .. to help ' spread the word '.

Silence Is Consent ! The Manufacturing   of Consent . Perception Management and  Social Engineering~ The Real Battlefield Is Your Mind and Conscience

The following 1 user Likes MissCherokee's post:
  • Claire Rousseau