#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums

Symbolism in Video Games: Fallout 4

06-03-2016, 06:03 PM #1
Fallout 4 was game released last year by Bethesda. It takes place in a post-apocalyptic Boston, 200 years after a nuclear war between the US, Russia, and China. Like many games coming out now, Fallout is full of symbolism mostly transhumanism. 

There are several factions in the game your character can join one of them is an organization called the Institute. In the game, the Institute is feared for its ability to make synthetic robotic humans called synths. The synths are so realistic that the Institute starts kidnapping real people and replacing them with synths. 

An other joinable faction is the Railroad. Based on the Underground Railroad, they are enemies of the Institute and see the synths as slaves that need to be freed.
The main story really pushes the agenda of humanizing robots and there is also a lot of other NWO symbolism in the game.

06-07-2016, 04:29 AM #2
Corvus Metus
I'd argue that the game isn't very positive of transhumanism.

Having finished four playthroughs of the game, once with each faction,  I feel the developers made it quite clear that while they have many human-like traits, synths are not human.   Not only does the Institute itself state that, throughout their entire quest line, the new Far Harbor DLC reaffirms the fact that at the end of the day, they are simply complex machines with artificial emotions.  

Without giving away too many spoilers, I don't think they also intend for the Railroad to be "good guys".  They have a cause that seems noble, that speaks to most players of the game but the things you do and how it  ends? It makes you question whether or not you did the right thing.  

I mean, a common theme in the Fallout games has always been that unchecked technology was a very, very bad thing.

I've come to see in the Land of the Free,  there's only a future for the chosen few.
Billy Bragg - To Have And To Have Not