#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums

Symbology behind album covers

05-14-2016, 01:39 PM #1
So I was listening to Spotify and a curious album cover showed up

Symbology isn't something in incredibly familiar with but I notice the pillars, the heart over Christ heart.

Anyone got anything?
This post was last modified: 05-14-2016, 01:39 PM by damien50.

The Continuation of the Truth

Isaiah 55:8-9 KJV For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord . [9] For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

05-15-2016, 01:44 AM #2
For what it's worth ...

Quote:Cover artwork

The Game released a controversial artwork of the album via Instagram on October 21, 2012 and also announced the release date will be December 11.

The cover portrays a dark-skinned Jesus in a stained glass window with a teardrop tattoo, a red bandanna around his mouth, and wearing a Jesus piece.

The stained glass-inspired image shows Jesus sitting on a throne adorned with gang-related symbols. In the artwork, Jesus is holding a gold "Jesus Piece" chain and pointing to a symbol on his breast plate.

The red bandana over his mouth is a reference to the Cedar Block Piru Bloods gang, to which Game is allegedly a member.

The artwork has a slightly altered logo on the top, which features on all of Game's previous studio albums. The album's title Jesus Piece is stylized as Je5us Piece, depicting that it is Game's fifth studio album. Je5us Piece logo is styled after the iconic Louis Vuitton.

The cover was designed by Mike Saputo. The religious imagery of the art has gained mixed reactions and the ire of some fans who deem the work as blasphemous. Several celebrities praised the artwork, including Busta Rhymes, Mac Miller and Kevin Hart. However, The Game decided to make this cover for the deluxe edition after the Roman Catholic Church complained to Interscope Records about it.

Complex named the album cover the fifteenth best cover of 2012. On November 12, an alternative cover for the standard edition of the album was released. This cover paid homage to one of The Game's older brothers, Jevon Danell Taylor, who was shot and killed at the age of 20.

Every time I see the phrase "Jesus piece" I think of Biggie.
The following 2 users Like Thunderian's post:
  • damien50, Trenton

05-15-2016, 05:21 AM #3
loling at the Catholic church complaining. That's a riot.

The image made me uncomfortable though. The pointing at the breastplate thing, I feel like I've seen that hand sign before, he isn't just pointing, that's for sure. Damned if I will remember the meaning of the sign.

The most high exalting and I ain't halting 'til I die of exhaustion and inhale my exhaust fumes.

05-22-2016, 01:26 AM #4
Pillars aren't necessarily evil, or bad symbols. 

But you'll find pillars in Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Masonry and so many other cultures, historical accounts, mythologies and etc.

If you find that these pillars look similar to another artist rendition or something used in practice in occult or religion then you can start talking about whether they are depicting positive or negative meaning.

“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.” - C.S. Lewis