#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
With so many Bibles to choose from...

04-28-2016, 09:37 PM #1
Trenton
Justiciar
Was wondering why people choose a certain bible. And what version is deemed accurate. Why is there so many different versions? 

I hear KJV being touted as the only one people should read.

What exactly did King James revise the bible for? If there was translation from (I'm assuming) the "original Greek", there could be many errors, or outright fabrications in any of the translations.

Why do people not read the literal translation bibles? OT or NT?

And why is anyone supposed to feel secure reading a book that has been debated over and revised so many times?

Can people not get the/ir story straight?

Is any part of the NT written by people who knew Jesus as he walked the earth?

Just having trouble understanding this madness.
This post was last modified: 04-28-2016, 09:38 PM by Trenton.

I know you're coming in the night like a thief, but I've had some time alone, to hone my lying technique. I know you think that I'm someone you can trust, but I'm scared I'll get scared, and I swear I'll try to nail you back up. So do you think that we could work out a sign, so I'll know it's you and that it's over so I won't even try? I know you're coming for the people like me. We've all got wood and nails, turned out in a hate factory.
The following 4 users Like Trenton's post:
  • Scimitar, Tarikko, khadeejah, damien50

04-28-2016, 09:42 PM #2
damien50
Chaplain
I did extensive research and read an article that sealed my choice.  If you want I can pm it to you.

But essentially the claim of the KJV1611 is that it is the most consistent.

The Continuation of the Truth

Isaiah 55:8-9 KJV For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord . [9] For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
The following 1 user Likes damien50's post:
  • Trenton

04-28-2016, 09:54 PM #3
Armass
Marshall
(04-28-2016, 09:42 PM)damien50 Wrote:  I did extensive research and read an article that sealed my choice.  If you want I can pm it to you.

The most consistent? As in you have many choices and you choose whatever suits you? Is that how you believe in a book given to you from God?
The following 4 users Like Armass's post:
  • Kung Fu, Scimitar, khadeejah, Trenton

04-28-2016, 09:56 PM #4
Trenton
Justiciar
(04-28-2016, 09:42 PM)damien50 Wrote:  I did extensive research and read an article that sealed my choice.  If you want I can pm it to you.

Feel free to pm the link. Ill check it out.

I'm wary though of a book not many can agree on. Or one that people seem to misconstrue so very badly. When I read it, its plain as day why Jesus was saying. But there are opinions all over the place contradicting many of Jesus clear teachings.

One is rebuking demons in Jesus name. I'm pretty sure Jesus said if people tried to cast out demons in his name, he would say he knows us not... I'm also fairly certain the only reason he was able to cast out demons and heal people because God willed it to be so. So that people would believe in his message THROUGH Christ. Not that Christ was some magic man of his own powers...

Tbh I haven't read the bible in a long time. But when I did I was so confused what other Christians were telling me, compared to what Jesus actually taught.

Another thing in confused about, if many of the authors didn't know Jesus, how do they even know what he was saying?

Its like seeing someone do something's awesome, and people retell the story over a couple hundred years, would it end up accurate?

Played telephone in elementary school? Haha

I know you're coming in the night like a thief, but I've had some time alone, to hone my lying technique. I know you think that I'm someone you can trust, but I'm scared I'll get scared, and I swear I'll try to nail you back up. So do you think that we could work out a sign, so I'll know it's you and that it's over so I won't even try? I know you're coming for the people like me. We've all got wood and nails, turned out in a hate factory.
The following 1 user Likes Trenton's post:
  • Tarikko

04-28-2016, 10:04 PM #5
damien50
Chaplain
(04-28-2016, 09:54 PM)Armass Wrote:  

The most consistent? As in you have many choices and you choose whatever suits you? Is that how you believe in a book given to you from God?

I'm still studying and very few of my thoughts towards the bible are necessarily concrete.  I do for the time being believe it to be inerrant and divinely inspired.

Choosing to believe in God is a choice to begin with, His ways are suitable to me, hence I follow Him in the Christian way.

Quote:Another thing in confused about, if many of the authors didn't know Jesus, how do they even know what he was saying?

That is the divinely inspired part, so as to explain how any of the authors in the bible were able to pen and subsequently compile the bible in the perfect order.

The Continuation of the Truth

Isaiah 55:8-9 KJV For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord . [9] For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
The following 1 user Likes damien50's post:
  • Armass

04-28-2016, 10:09 PM #6
Yahda
Chaplain
Here's my thing with the KJV. I was told all my life don't read the KJV. I was told so many horrible things about the book and KJ himself by the church and so many others....that I myself spread the same accusations for years. But after coming into understanding it was the KJV that opened the door to true understanding. It's vocabulary is closer to the original.Those are the words and phrases that can be translated into the original language. It started to make sense as to why devils want to keep you from it.

Other bible's consist of different words giving the text a whole another meaning. I have a clearer understanding at this point so basically I read and share from a basic bible. If I feel the need to go deeper, or fact check I go the the KJV, if I need to go further to make sure the KJV is on point I use the Septuagint..
This post was last modified: 04-28-2016, 10:27 PM by Yahda.

~Yahda
The following 2 users Like Yahda's post:
  • damien50, Trenton

04-28-2016, 10:21 PM #7
Thunderian
Chaplain
Matthew, John and Peter certainly knew Jesus personally. Mark and Luke undoubtedly were contemporaries of Jesus and people who were close to him. All the gospels were completed by AD 70 and likely by 64. That is, within 70 years of Jesus death on the cross. Most people's grandparents and maybe even parents were alive 70 years ago, so if the events as described in the New Testament were falsely described, someone who knew the truth would have spoken up. You know how old people are.

I read the King James because I know how other major versions change the Bible and I don't trust them.
The following 3 users Like Thunderian's post:
  • Floss, Trenton, damien50

04-28-2016, 10:22 PM #8
That1kid
Marshall
The Bible has been preserved for centuries. You can find throughout many of the old fragments from ancient past, say the same as what's written our modern day Bibles. And if the Bible was corrupted or changed, as some might like to say, it would literally be the easiest thing to prove. The common point in all of the Bibles, is that they remain consistent with what's being said in the scripture. The point of the passages and messages are getting across to the reader. To show an example, John 3:16, in some Bibles it says, "...His one and only Son/Only begotten Son/Unique Son..." or  "...shall have eternal life/everlasting life/Life of the Ages." etc. Bible Hub is probably my favorite website to study and search the scriptures. My belief as to why some Bible readers like to read KJV or NIV, for example, people feel the KJV sticks to more of the original format, while others like to read the NIV because it's easier for them to understand. Here's the example I put out for you to look into yourselves.

John 3:16

New International Version
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

New Living Translation
"For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

English Standard Version
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Berean Study Bible
For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that everyone who believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Berean Literal Bible
For God so loved the world that He gave the only begotten Son, so that everyone believing in Him should not perish, but should have eternal life.

New American Standard Bible
"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

King James Bible
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
"For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life.

International Standard Version
"For this is how God loved the world: He gave his unique Son so that everyone who believes in him might not be lost but have eternal life.

NET Bible
For this is the way God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
For God loved the world in this way: so much that he would give up his Son, The Only One, so that everyone who trusts in him shall not be lost, but he shall have eternal life.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
God loved the world this way: He gave his only Son so that everyone who believes in him will not die but will have eternal life.

New American Standard 1977
“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Jubilee Bible 2000
For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

King James 2000 Bible
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

American King James Version
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

American Standard Version
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Douay-Rheims Bible
For God so loved the world, as to give his only begotten Son; that whosoever believeth in him, may not perish, but may have life everlasting.

Darby Bible Translation
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten Son, that whosoever believes on him may not perish, but have life eternal.

English Revised Version
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Webster's Bible Translation
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten Son, that whoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Weymouth New Testament
For so greatly did God love the world that He gave His only Son, that every one who trusts in Him may not perish but may have the Life of Ages.

World English Bible
For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Young's Literal Translation
for God did so love the world, that His Son -- the only begotten -- He gave, that every one who is believing in him may not perish, but may have life age-during.

Matthew 6:34
"Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is it's own trouble."
The following 1 user Likes That1kid's post:
  • Floss

04-29-2016, 07:37 AM #9
Scimitar
Grand Commander
(04-28-2016, 10:22 PM)That1kid Wrote:  The Bible has been preserved for centuries.

Hubris.

Scimi

Out beyond ideas
of wrong-doing,

and right-doing,

there is a field...

...I'll meet you there.
€

Jalaluddin Rumi
The following 1 user Likes Scimitar's post:
  • Tarikko

04-29-2016, 08:42 AM #10
Kung Fu
Chaplain
(04-28-2016, 10:22 PM)That1kid Wrote:  The Bible has been preserved for centuries.

LOL!

Prophet Muhammad (SallAllahu alaihi wasalam) said:

"My similitude and that of the life of this world is that of a traveler who took a rest at mid-day under a shade of a tree and then left it."       (Ahmad, at-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah and al-Hakim)

The following 2 users Like Kung Fu's post:
  • Alex, Tarikko