#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Possession vs Mental Illness

04-14-2016, 01:14 AM #1
Trenton
Justiciar
I was curious, how can you tell the difference?

Between that of a mental illness like psychotic disorders, and that of genuine demonic/spirit/jinn possessions/oppression?

I've heard from many people, and many members here of encounters with genuine possession cases.

Is there a set of symptoms that would personally convince one of believing someone is truly possessed instead of suffering mental illness?

Since a person with schizophrenia could easily have religious delusions, how could you really know? If the person needs therapy and medicine, or spiritual help?

I know you're coming in the night like a thief, but I've had some time alone, to hone my lying technique. I know you think that I'm someone you can trust, but I'm scared I'll get scared, and I swear I'll try to nail you back up. So do you think that we could work out a sign, so I'll know it's you and that it's over so I won't even try? I know you're coming for the people like me. We've all got wood and nails, turned out in a hate factory.
The following 4 users Like Trenton's post:
  • Scimitar, Floss, Serveto, Tarikko

04-14-2016, 01:42 AM #2
Aiylish
Justiciar

RARWZ!!! Hahahaha!
The following 1 user Likes Aiylish's post:
  • Trenton

04-14-2016, 01:48 AM #3
Trenton
Justiciar
(04-14-2016, 01:42 AM)Aiylish Wrote:  

RARWZ!!! Hahahaha!

Bizzare yo.
Video timestamp 333

I know you're coming in the night like a thief, but I've had some time alone, to hone my lying technique. I know you think that I'm someone you can trust, but I'm scared I'll get scared, and I swear I'll try to nail you back up. So do you think that we could work out a sign, so I'll know it's you and that it's over so I won't even try? I know you're coming for the people like me. We've all got wood and nails, turned out in a hate factory.
The following 1 user Likes Trenton's post:
  • Aiylish

04-14-2016, 01:55 AM #4
Alex
Chaplain
(04-14-2016, 01:14 AM)Trenton Wrote:  I was curious, how can you tell the difference?

Between that of a mental illness like psychotic disorders, and that of genuine demonic/spirit/jinn possessions/oppression?

I've heard from many people, and many members here of encounters with genuine possession cases.

Is there a set of symptoms that would personally convince one of believing someone is truly possessed instead of suffering mental illness?

Since a person with schizophrenia could easily have religious delusions, how could you really know? If the person needs therapy and medicine, or spiritual help?

There is a multitude of signs to tell the difference between the two, they are essentially in-mistakable.

For instance a possessed person might out of nowhere start talking with perfect fluency in some language unknown to anyone else in the household.  He/She might suddenly have a drastically different voice.  Like a man's voice coming from a woman.   Inhuman strength, like a middle aged woman over powering 4, 5 men in their prime.

Some signs point to both, mental illness and possession.  For example crying when they should be happy and laughing when they should be sad. Like erupting in a burst of laughter at a funeral can indicate both. Hallucinations happen in both afflictions as well.

If they have the mixed signs some basic ruqya can make it clear whether its possession or mental issues.

Only an exorcist would look for the differences between the two.  A western doctor will always subdue the patient with narcotics which might help with psychosis but is really damaging for a possessed person because it removes their ability to fight it off.

"My heart is at ease knowing that what was meant for me will never
miss me and that what misses me was never meant for me"

~Umar Ibn Al-Khattab (ra)

The following 3 users Like Alex's post:
  • Floss, Tarikko, Trenton

04-14-2016, 02:08 AM #5
Trenton
Justiciar
(04-14-2016, 01:55 AM)Alex Wrote:   A western doctor will always subdue the patient with narcotics which might help with psychosis but is really damaging for a possessed person because it removes their ability to fight it off.

True that!

The following 3 users Like Trenton's post:
  • Scimitar, celle76, Tarikko

04-14-2016, 05:55 AM #6
r0xo
Peasant
I think the only way that I would go for possession over mental illness or just plain attention seeking is if the person does something that a human cannot do.

Not overpowering multiple people, our bodies are capable of immense strength for short times. Not speaking in tongues or different voices, it isn't impossible to start making up words in a way that seems fluent and the human voice has a huge range. Look at how many metal vocalists sound, most people would equate that to monstrous or inhuman sounds.

Also not strange contortions since once again, it is possible just not normal. Hallucinations and strange behaviour doesn't make you possessed.
The following 3 users Like r0xo's post:
  • Floss, Trenton, Goku

04-14-2016, 06:35 AM #7
Goku
Chaplain
Has there ever been a full scientific documented case of possession?

Until then, your better off classing it as a mental illness and doing your best to support them with that attitude.

The brain is so powerful; have you heard of Foreign Accent Syndrome? Those people are not possessed, it's the religious background that leads to thinking it's possession IMO.

If you believe she's possessed, get a priest or shaman etc. or someone on the forums could point you in the right direction (Todd comes to mind). If you don't, Google is your friend - look up the best ways to support your friend and how.

All the best Trent.

"If people don't want you to question something, that probably means you should question it." - Michel Templet

The following 1 user Likes Goku's post:
  • Trenton

04-14-2016, 06:36 AM #8
Alex
Chaplain
Atheist, yes?  Why do you comment on something you deny to begin with, being the unseen?  

Well, let me see.

(04-14-2016, 05:55 AM)r0xo Wrote:  I think the only way that I would go for possession over mental illness or just plain attention seeking is if the person does something that a human cannot do.

Not overpowering multiple people, our bodies are capable of immense strength for short times.

Not the kind of strength i mentioned.  Sides, I'm sure your thinking of "adrenaline rush" situations anyways.  The stories of mothers lifting cars off their children for example, yes?  

Believe it or not this kind of strength does not exist and its angels helping with the lifting.  But you won't hear about this explanation in a Darwinian world.

Not speaking in tongues or different voices,

Those that speak in tongues in select churches are actually possessed. They claim its the "holy spirit" but its nothing more then demons and they're sprouting gibberish.

When i said languages i meant just that, not tongues.  For example i remember one case where a possessed English speaking woman could speak perfect Punjabi.  Never had any association what so ever with the language or the people in her life.

Voices as in tonal voices. For example if you closed your eyes and your mom and dad talked to you, you'd know which one was speaking at what moment.  

it isn't impossible to start making up words in a way that seems fluent and the human voice has a huge range. Look at how many metal vocalists sound, most people would equate that to monstrous or inhuman sounds.

I think you'd have to be there to appreciate it yourself.  Its the only way your "types" start to believe in what the eye's can't see.  

Also not strange contortions since once again, it is possible just not normal. Hallucinations and strange behaviour doesn't make you possessed.

I did not mention contortions but i can show you some that are not humanely possible.

I didn't say hallucinations and strange behavior meant you were possessed but they are both indicators of a possessed person.

"My heart is at ease knowing that what was meant for me will never
miss me and that what misses me was never meant for me"

~Umar Ibn Al-Khattab (ra)

The following 2 users Like Alex's post:
  • Tarikko, Trenton

04-14-2016, 06:56 AM #9
Trenton
Justiciar
(04-14-2016, 06:35 AM)Goku Wrote:  If you believe she's possessed, get a priest or shaman etc. or someone on the forums could point you in the right direction (Todd comes to mind). If you don't, Google is your friend - look up the best ways to support your friend and how.

All the best Trent.

Aha well, no one is possessed in my vicinity, I was more curious what would be the difference according to religious ideals.

Taking care is my motto.

The following 1 user Likes Trenton's post:
  • Goku

04-14-2016, 09:10 AM #10
Todd
Chaplain
(04-14-2016, 06:56 AM)Trenton Wrote:  
(04-14-2016, 06:35 AM)Goku Wrote:  If you believe she's possessed, get a priest or shaman etc. or someone on the forums could point you in the right direction (Todd comes to mind). If you don't, Google is your friend - look up the best ways to support your friend and how.

All the best Trent.

Aha well, no one is possessed in my vicinity, I was more curious what would be the difference according to religious ideals.

Taking care is my motto.

Since I was brought up by name, I'll add my two cents and personal experience.  Though my wife and I believe in deliverance ministry we never attempt to make it happen by our own will or decision.  We simply counsel and pray for people, including at times suggesting they see a doctor and get treated for depression or other mental issues. We are not opposed to people being put on a prescription anti-depressant or other drugs, though it is always with the goal of eventually finding the root of the issue and getting them healed so they don't have to stay on the meds permanently. Sometime it's necessary as a temporary measure to keep peace in home and allow a person to still function in daily life until the real issue is dealt with. Only if a spirit "manifests" during counseling or prayer do we proceed with deliverance.  

We will never attempt to conjure up a spirit in a person or decide by our own reasoning or understanding that a person is possessed or oppressed by an evil spirit.  If the spirit is there it will react to sound counseling and effective prayer as a resort to keep the person oppressed.  I would much rather just counsel and pray for people to overcome their issues without deliverance if possible and only move into deliverance if absolutely necessary.
This post was last modified: 04-14-2016, 09:13 AM by Todd.

Then shall the king say to those on his right hand, Come ye, the blessed of my Father, inherit the reign that hath been prepared for you from the foundation of the world;

And the king answering, shall say to them, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as ye did to one of these my brethren -- the least -- to me ye did
The following 2 users Like Todd's post:
  • Trenton, Goku