#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Poll note

Poll: Do you agree with the bill?
I agree.
I disagree.
I do not know enough or do not care.
This is all part of the elites agenda to create more discord among the people anyway and TPTB are all a bunch of buttholes.

Mississippi Religious Freedom Bill

04-11-2016, 01:51 PM #1
bbsion
Marshall
Lets revive the horse and beat it some more shall we?

There are probably other stories similar to this from other states. I did not see this particular news event in the forums though. I won't post an article since most news sites are bias either way. Has anyone been reading anything regarding this new bill that Gov. Phil Bryant signed? What are your thoughts?

According to my understanding, the bill protects individuals or businesses from being punished by the government for refusing to provide goods or services to any LGBT person if they feel that the providing of the goods/services conflicts with their religious beliefs. It also says that schools and other facilities may provide separated (or dictate access to) restrooms/locker rooms/spa areas... etc for people who identify as Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, or Transgender. It also identifies the religious belief of marriage as "marriage between one man and one woman" and gender identity as "anatomy and genetics of the individual at birth."

If you want more information, Google it and find out. Smile

I know there is more to the bill than this. This is just my understanding summarized. Personally, I agree that an individual or business should not be punished by the government for refusing goods/services based on religious beliefs. If I owned a bakery, it is my right to refuse to make a cake for a gay wedding. Deal with it and go to another bakery. If I was a surgeon, it is my right to refuse to perform a transgender surgery. Deal with it and go to another doctor. I do not think these individuals should be punished by the government for refusing. Let their actions either help or hurt their own reputation. There are likely different scenarios where this could be abused and turned into actual discrimination. Some will use their freedoms for good, others for bad.

They are already receiving huge amounts of backlash. I wouldn't be surprised if this bill gets overturned. Most of the LGBT agenda is there, not to push for their rights, but to take away the rights of others anyway.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."

Thomas Jefferson
The following 4 users Like bbsion's post:
  • dzubmarinara, Alex, Freetoday, Kung Fu

04-11-2016, 06:40 PM #2
Freetoday
Justiciar
I have no problem with either one of the bills, but they will be overturned due to the Transhumanist   Agenda masquerading as something else.

"If we knew our power, we wouldn't get arrogant when we got two pennies
If we knew our power, we would see what everybody sees, that we're rich already!"
(Akala)
The following 1 user Likes Freetoday's post:
  • bbsion

04-11-2016, 07:59 PM #3
Songbird516
Marshall
I am a small business owner (birth Doula) abd I worry about being singled out if I turn down a client/couple due to my belief that two men or women should not be raising a family together and that homosexuality is wrong. But I think that it's just going to get worse in this system.
The following 2 users Like Songbird516's post:
  • Maggie, bbsion

04-11-2016, 11:39 PM #4
TonyVanDam
Justiciar
(04-11-2016, 07:59 PM)Songbird516 Wrote:  I am a small business owner (birth Doula) abd I worry about being singled out if I turn down a client/couple due to my belief that two men or women should not be raising a family together and that homosexuality is wrong. But I think that it's just going to get worse in this system.

@Songbird & all VCF members.....Does not anyone around here believes in making money anymore? Whatever happen to good old-fashioned capitalism?

Excuse me, but if I was a business owner [which is a long-term goal of mine! Smile ], I would like to be able to make as much money as possible. If I know I have excellent product to sell, I want to sell it to everyone regardless of their age, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, political ideology, religious status, or whatever. At the end of the day, I need the money!

And besides, the monthly apartment rent OR house note is already due. But all of you know exactly what I'm saying.
The following 2 users Like TonyVanDam's post:
  • Trenton, Todd

04-12-2016, 07:39 AM #5
Todd
Chaplain
(04-11-2016, 11:39 PM)TonyVanDam Wrote:  
(04-11-2016, 07:59 PM)Songbird516 Wrote:  I am a small business owner (birth Doula) abd I worry about being singled out if I turn down a client/couple due to my belief that two men or women should not be raising a family together and that homosexuality is wrong. But I think that it's just going to get worse in this system.

@Songbird & all VCF members.....Does not anyone around here believes in making money anymore? Whatever happen to good old-fashioned capitalism?

Excuse me, but if I was a business owner [which is a long-term goal of mine!  Smile ], I would like to be able to make as much money as possible. If I know I have excellent product to sell, I want to sell it to everyone regardless of their age, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, political ideology, religious status, or whatever. At the end of the day, I need the money!

And besides, the monthly apartment rent OR house note is already due. But all of you know exactly what I'm saying.

Jesus ate and hung out with sinners...I don't think he is going to mind if I sell them something Wink

Then shall the king say to those on his right hand, Come ye, the blessed of my Father, inherit the reign that hath been prepared for you from the foundation of the world;

And the king answering, shall say to them, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as ye did to one of these my brethren -- the least -- to me ye did
The following 2 users Like Todd's post:
  • Trenton, Vytas

04-12-2016, 07:59 AM #6
Vytas
Justiciar
My personal belief is though i really do not like gays, but unless your work is priest in church you shouldn't reject them. They deserve to eat, have clothes, and get other social services just like the rest of us. Only then they want something extra because they are who they are we should reject them...Other than that sell anything to anybody and do not have second thoughts...

Truth is precious it's guarded by God

04-12-2016, 10:52 AM #7
Todd
Chaplain

I understand your objection and agree with you that homosexuality is wrong.  But think about this...what if you explained to a perspective homosexual client that on principle and your faith in God, you disagree with homosexual couples raising a child, but you were still willing to provide your service to them?

I see two distinct possibilities.  One, they would be offended by your principle and they would choose not to hire you or take advantage of your services, thereby releasing you with no possibility of them accusing you of discrimination.  

Two, they would respect your stand for your principle and still hire you.  Though you may initially not feel comfortable working with them, you now have established a level of respect from the client and since you made your beliefs know up front, you would not be out of line to continue to speak to them about your faith and God.  This could potentially be an open door to minister life to the client.  They may or may not respond to the seeds you plant in their life, but wouldn't that be better than planting a seed of hate and distrust in them by rejecting them up front?  

Something to think and pray about.  I'm not at all saying it would be convenient or easy for you to do, but the Bible says God gives grace to the humble.  Just a thought...

Then shall the king say to those on his right hand, Come ye, the blessed of my Father, inherit the reign that hath been prepared for you from the foundation of the world;

And the king answering, shall say to them, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as ye did to one of these my brethren -- the least -- to me ye did
The following 2 users Like Todd's post:
  • That1kid, bbsion

04-12-2016, 11:00 AM #8
bbsion
Marshall
I think it's totally up to you how you want to run your business. If you want to make as much money as possible by selling your goods and services to anyone regardless of sexual preference, gender, age, race, etc... then go for it. If you believe Jesus wouldn't mind then it's your right to believe that and go ahead and run your business that way. However, I do not believe that another business should be punished by the government for refusing service if they feel it goes against their religious beliefs. The government should butt the hell out. Like I said, let their actions either help or hurt their personal or business reputation. But legal punishment for refusing is bull crap. It's YOUR business and you should have the right to refuse service.

Bottom line: If you do not agree with the owners religious beliefs.... go. somewhere. else.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."

Thomas Jefferson
The following 1 user Likes bbsion's post:
  • Songbird516

04-12-2016, 11:31 AM #9
novam terram
Justiciar
(04-12-2016, 11:00 AM)bbsion Wrote:  Bottom line: If you do not agree with the owners religious beliefs.... go. somewhere. else.

This would be perfect for people in a small town who don't want any homosexuals around whatsoever. Since there are limited of number of options, you can just make it virtually impossible for them to get basic things like groceries or gasoline for example. That way, you could remain within the law and still effectively banish them entirely from the community. Winning! Wink
The following 1 user Likes novam terram's post:
  • Trenton

04-12-2016, 12:56 PM #10
Freetoday
Justiciar
(04-11-2016, 11:39 PM)TonyVanDam Wrote:  

I'm a business owner and we are in compliance with Federal law for many reasons. As a company, we are pro-marriage equality. As an individual, I am entitled to my beliefs based on my faith and my knowledge of the truth. No one in my company can make me believe a different way than I believe. They never ask me and I never tell them.

Excuse me, but if I was a business owner [which is a long-term goal of mine!  Smile ], I would like to be able to make as much money as possible. If I know I have excellent product to sell, I want to sell it to everyone regardless of their age, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, political ideology, religious status, or whatever. At the end of the day, I need the money!

"If we knew our power, we wouldn't get arrogant when we got two pennies
If we knew our power, we would see what everybody sees, that we're rich already!"
(Akala)