#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Wayward Pines

06-24-2015, 04:14 PM #1
jeterj1107
Peasant
I haven't read the books, but what is everyone's thoughts on the Fox Series, Wayward Pines? I've found some things very interesting about the show thus far:

* Ethan Burke works for the Secret Service, and like him, 2 fellow agents end up in Wayward Pines. One is killed when he doesn't follow the rules, and the other is still alive because she "plays by the rules." Do we find it surprising that the US Government is a part of this -- perhaps spearheading this process?

* No one just walks into Wayward Pines, but rather ends up there after some type of traumatic event. Each person is fitted with a microchip to track their movement throughout the town. Everyone is under constant surveillance, through planted cameras and microphones. Why are these people being watched if there are larger issues at hand?

* The town has a Reckoning when someone doesn't follow the rules, where they are killed in front of the entire town. It seems the townsfolk are controlled by fear. They are told to always answer the phone when it rings, and to not speak of the past. What trauma has everyone gone through?

* The teens of the town are referred to as The First Generation, and are told the "truth" during a very creepy orientation process. Candles are lit at the end of the ceremony -- does this have any relation to the bearor of light, Prometheus, etc.? What is everyone's thoughts about the principal of this school also being a hypnotist? Why not tell "the truth" to everyone, including the adults?

Please feel free to add your thoughts, or correct me if I'm wrong about anything. Thanks!

-J2

06-26-2015, 09:37 PM #2
AnswersISeek
Squire
(06-24-2015, 04:14 PM)jeterj1107 Wrote:  I haven't read the books, but what is everyone's thoughts on the Fox Series, Wayward Pines? I've found some things very interesting about the show thus far:

* Ethan Burke works for the Secret Service, and like him, 2 fellow agents end up in Wayward Pines. One is killed when he doesn't follow the rules, and the other is still alive because she "plays by the rules." Do we find it surprising that the US Government is a part of this -- perhaps spearheading this process?

* No one just walks into Wayward Pines, but rather ends up there after some type of traumatic event. Each person is fitted with a microchip to track their movement throughout the town. Everyone is under constant surveillance, through planted cameras and microphones. Why are these people being watched if there are larger issues at hand?

* The town has a Reckoning when someone doesn't follow the rules, where they are killed in front of the entire town. It seems the townsfolk are controlled by fear. They are told to always answer the phone when it rings, and to not speak of the past. What trauma has everyone gone through?

* The teens of the town are referred to as The First Generation, and are told the "truth" during a very creepy orientation process. Candles are lit at the end of the ceremony -- does this have any relation to the bearor of light, Prometheus, etc.? What is everyone's thoughts about the principal of this school also being a hypnotist? Why not tell "the truth" to everyone, including the adults?

Please feel free to add your thoughts, or correct me if I'm wrong about anything. Thanks!

-J2

I HAVE read the books, and I won't ruin it for you, but I think a great analogy has been setup in the story as far as how humankind's early existence developed. You are watching "God" and his "Creation". Remember, think metaphorically as you watch it. Full Disclosure: I'm agnostic/atheist.
This post was last modified: 06-29-2015, 03:31 AM by AnswersISeek.

06-27-2015, 11:43 PM #3
TekTek
Squire
Actually I didn't know about this show prior to your post, so I checked it out. Hmm, smacks of Twin Peaks, X-Files and The Prisoner. Interesting so far. I am only on the third episode, but I like what I have seen and am intrigued as to what is really going on.

07-06-2015, 04:00 PM #4
jeterj1107
Peasant
Thanks guys. Good follow-up posts.

07-06-2015, 04:24 PM #5
SheWatches
Justiciar
I'm sure the books are good but anything FOX adopts will be given the media conglomerate's own self-serving spin. I'm as suspicious of its entertainment offerings as I am of its "news."

It's one thing to promote atheism/agnosticism by religion-bashing (& I'm saying this from a Pagan, not neocon perspective) in a show via comedy, which Fox's prime time cartoons do a good job of in a soul-deadening way... one needs to be aware that the end goal of spinning such shows is not just belittling religion but mocking human spirituality.

How do they get the "m" on the M&M?