#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums

Tanakh/Karaite only summary of the afterlife.

03-28-2016, 03:21 PM #1

Quote:Conclusion — The whole system in a nutshell:

Earth-universe created
Eternal life given in Gan Eden
Sin – death as curse
Life shortened to 120 years
Person dies, descends to sheol to sleep as refaim with relatives awaiting generation of the resurrection
End of days come – dead rise
World re-enters perfect state of Gan Eden without death
Earth-universe destroyed

No mention of hell/heaven whatsoever, however, there is no real specific mention of what the 'ressurection' actually achieves, some perhaps may think it means that the dead may rise to live with the mossiach in the post-messiah age in eternal happiness, or perhaps it refers to the traditional day of judgement most clearly clarified by islamic eschatology/talmud/new testament etc.

Whatever the case is, we can infer that the afterlife doesn't have as huge a central importance in the Tanakh anyhow, certainly not as many would like to think.

Let's compare.

The quran has 6,236 verses, hell, or references thereon appear 198 times (rougly every 31.5 verses) , heaven 287 times (roughly every 22 verses). In the Bible

Quote:The Greek word "Hades" itself is in our biblical text 11 times. 10 of those times it is translated as "hell" and once as "grave" in the King James Version.

Here is what Strong's Concordance tells us about this word:

name: Hades or Pluto, the god of the lower regions Orcus, the nether world, the realm of the dead later use of this word: the grave, death, hell...

In the KJV, sheol is translated grave 31 times, hell 31 times and pit 3 times. While some Jews do believe in a place similar to purgatory -- for a time that never exceeds one year -- the word literally means grave. When a person dies they go to hell, to the grave. The Sadducees thought life ended there. Jesus, like the Pharisees, knew the soul is never destroyed.

Like the Pharisees, Jesus would have believed in the resurrection of the dead to the earthly Kingdom once it is established and in reincarnation in at least some cases. These were the beliefs of most Jews of the day (other than the Sadducees who were considered odd for not believing this). This doubtless is what Jesus believed and taught.

Belief in the eventual resurrection of the dead is a fundamental belief of traditional Rabbinic (and Karaite) Judaism. It was a belief that distinguished the Pharisees (intellectual ancestors of Rabbinical Judaism) from the Sadducees (that and that the rabbis embraced the Oral Torah which both the Sadducees and Jesus rejected). The Sadducees rejected the concept, because it is not explicitly mentioned in the Torah (although it is in my opinion strongly implied -- Ezekiel 37 for instance). The Pharisees found the concept implied in certain verses and taught directly in the Oral Torah such as the Babylonian Talmud.

The resurrection of the dead will occur in the messianic age, a time referred to in Hebrew as the Olam Ha-Ba, the World to Come, but that term is also used to refer to the spiritual afterlife. When the messiah comes to initiate the perfect world of peace and prosperity, the righteous dead will be brought back to life and given the opportunity to experience the perfected world that their righteousness helped to create. The wicked dead will not be resurrected according to Jewish authorities. this is one of many areas where I agree with Master Y'shua's reform movement.

We have a pretty clear idea of hell in the new testament and the parable of the rich man and lazarus.

Quote:The Rich Man and Lazarus

19 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’

30 “‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

This references the old law, however according to the karaite only, non-tamud following Jews, the ressurection isn't particularly confounded upon beyond what I have quoted above.

Quote:A similar phrase, “he slept with his fathers”, is used in the rest of the Tanakh. It is interesting to note that this phrase is used both for good and evil kings. Thus, the Tanakhic view seems to be an amoral afterlife, in contrast to Rabbinical doctrine in which the good go to heaven (olam ha’ba) and the bad go to hell (gehenom).

Even the rabbinical talmudist state that

Quote:There is a key argument in the Talmud regarding the length of sentence in Gehinom for sinners and the widely accepted view is that with rare exception the longest sentence does not exceed twelve months. In this sense Gehinom is more like purgatory than eternal damnation.

Contrast this to revelations chapter 20

Quote:10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

The rabbi states that

Quote:Throughout this rabbinic literature there are various descriptions of the nature and punishments of Gehinom mostly associated with fire. Many of these descriptions find similar parallels in Hellenistic literature and the punishments described reflect judicial procedures at the time of their composition such as the concept of “measure for measure”.

Might add more later.

Every Man, and every Woman is a star.
Love, Be Joyful, and Die daily...behold all opposites as necessary complements, and rejoice!