#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Facebook Ego

03-25-2016, 07:46 AM #1
Hex
Wanderer
Cool excerpt by Eckhart. You can of course apply this to all forms of social media:

"We check and repress the divinity that stirs within us, to fall down and worship the divinity that is dead without us."
--  Henry David Thoreau, 1851

My Site: www.intelligentinfinity.net

The following 8 users Like Hex's post:
  • Vytas, Aiylish, Serveto, Goku, Serendipity, Loki, Sidhuriel, Scimitar

03-25-2016, 07:58 AM #2
Scimitar
Grand Commander
in 2011 I made a video about facebook lol, then took it down because it wasn't exactly fitting in any playlist... wish I still had that vid. Doubt you'll remmeber Hex but it was the one with both my voice and Cosmic Intuitions on it too. Was kinda epic lol.

Good vid,

Scimi

Out beyond ideas
of wrong-doing,

and right-doing,

there is a field...

...I'll meet you there.
€

Jalaluddin Rumi
The following 5 users Like Scimitar's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, Tarikko, Aiylish, Loki, Hex

03-25-2016, 03:09 PM #3
Aiylish
Justiciar
Really good video....Ijust shared it on my really lame Facebook lol. I find that most people only care about how many likes they can get and now use it as a way of feeling validated. I stopped using it awhile ago because I realized how much I was not missing, heck I wasn't missing anything at all. 

Facebook sucks and can ruin your life. It's a place to complain about mostly politics I find, or things people have issues with. Also, I find that the people who get the most attention are the narcissists who plaster their face with makeup and upload and post tons of selfies everyday.
The more conformed and artificial you are, the more people love you it seems. 
Most though use it now the same way we use the forums.
The following 4 users Like Aiylish's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, Scimitar, damien50, Hex

03-25-2016, 06:10 PM #4
Vytas
Justiciar
Facebook helps me to acquire more information from people who have similar interests, im member of many groups, with fake name and profile picture, rarely comment and never post, no friends...Settings helps me to avoid information which i don't want to see almost completely, only some adds are unavoidable...For me facebook is something between google and newspaper... But off course author of video is right, for majority it is a tool for massaging their ego, if not facebook than something else, until there is demand there will be supply...
The following 4 users Like Vytas's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, Scimitar, Hex, Aiylish

03-26-2016, 12:28 AM #5
ilovemusic
Squire
I'm glad I deleted all my social media. It's nothing but a waste of time and popularity contest
The following 5 users Like ilovemusic's post:
  • Hex, Thy Unveiling, Sidhuriel, Tarikko, Scimitar

03-26-2016, 07:46 AM #6
mrgrimm
Marshall
The key is to use facebook as a tool. I have an account that I get on only a couple times a month to see what people have for sale/trade. With this new account I have not accepted any friends, only joined these particular "groups" that random local people make their listings in. It avoids the problems associated with a full blown social account ( like I had several years ago when FB first came out - how worthless!)

I think just about anyone, no matter how strong willed, could fall victim to some kind of ego issues when they are inundated with something like a facebook stream day after day.
The following 5 users Like mrgrimm's post:
  • Hex, Vytas, Thy Unveiling, Scimitar, Tarikko

03-26-2016, 07:39 PM #7
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
Vids don't want to load on my phone atm so will have to add that to the "watch later" list...

I can see your point about the ego-massage or bizarre sense of comfort people can get from Likes etc. Facebook honestly doesn't "feel right" for me when I don't see Creeper or Trenton in my notifications (usually because they haven't been on in a while.) But once I see them there, particularly Creeper (of course. Trenton's more like probably my sibling in a parallel universe.) It's not even a validation thing, I don't think. Just got so used to seeing them there that it isn't the same not seeing them there. Sometimes it's so depressing not seeing my husband, if it's been a few days, that I immediately close Facebook and message him on WhatsApp ...where we talk every day every chance we get. So it's absolutely ridiculous that his absence from the forums or Facebook actually bums me out! Tongue

But I'm not hating Facebook this time around. I think I need to weed out a couple people from my friends list but haven't fully decided on that yet. People I know from offline; not really sure how much I trust them. My friends list was supposed to stay tiny, yet since joining these forums it's gotten surprisingly big compared to what I wanted it to be...but I love so many awesome people from here! Heart

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

There's only one true judge and that's God; so chill and let Our Father do His job
The following 1 user Likes Thy Unveiling's post:
  • Hex

03-27-2016, 12:05 PM #8
Serendipity
Justiciar
So I take it that you won't be getting a Facebook account anytime soon? Tongue

"Happiness only real when shared" - Christopher McCandless
The following 1 user Likes Serendipity's post:
  • Hex

04-01-2016, 06:01 PM #9
iamunbroken
Squire
(03-25-2016, 07:46 AM)Hex Wrote:  Cool excerpt by Eckhart. You can of course apply this to all forms of social media:

Sorry to derail a little bit, but your signature had me trippin' for a good minute thinking there was a bug on my screen! haha love it Big Grin
The following 1 user Likes iamunbroken's post:
  • Vytas