#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Sailor Moon

03-05-2016, 11:26 PM #1
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
Been watching a re-dubbed and re-mastered version of Sailor Moon this past week. Hadn't seen it in many years. This show is a bit of an anime soap opera with some freaky villains and fighting. It's also full of fairly blatant imagery and a bit of a feminist agenda where the males are weaker, or abusive narcissists. (Although Tuxedo Mask/Mamo-Chan does have a strong affect on Sailor Moon/Usagi, but that's mostly because she loves him so much. When she's upset because of him, she has no fight in her. When he shows her positive attention, he empowers her. Mostly he throws roses, saves Chibiusa, and says stuff. I hear he's more of an asset in the manga. I have never read the manga, so I cannot confirm or deny this.)

Anyways, since I currently only recently have watched the second half of season 2 (Sailor Moon R) because I didn't realize it wasn't the full season I was buying until it was too late and in the dvd player at home and I was watching it, that's pretty much all I can really truly comment on right now.

Here is the opening theme for Sailor Moon R. At least for the second half of the season, anyways.

Starts off like a nightmare (with a flash from, we later find out, their future), then Sailor Moon is "born" amongst a bunch of warped clocks (I assume representing some time confusion. Which there actually is a lot of in this show.) The majority of the opening theme focuses on time confusion, in its own way. Sailor Moon and her friends running through swinging pendulums, their door (which allows them to pass from the present to the future etc) is at the end of a twisting, ribbony "road" with enemies on the other side, Sailor Pluto (their guardian of time) appears with Chibiusa who holds the key which allows her to travel through time (but apparently only if she recites an incantation to Chronos...), then they show flashes of their future selves. It's also like watching an acid trip.

Then there's the constant winking and Satanic hand signals for no apparent reason whatsoever. Reciting the same speech she always says (she's very Team Rocket in this regard): devil horns. Doing an attack? Devil horns. Being cute and posing for no reason? Wink. Giving advice? Wave one finger and wink. Oh, can't forget their V-for-Victory peace signs! They do those almost as often as they wink and flash horns. (The opening theme for season 1 shows a bit of this, along with black and white cats, possible possessions, and alters-type stuff)

Without getting much into the storyline, I couldn't help but wonder just how traumtizing and damaging it must be to be Chibiusa. That little pink haired girl is exposed to a lot of insane crap, despite everyone trying to protect her. No wonder she succumbed so easily to literal brainwashing to become Wicked Lady...although they never explain why she goes from being maybe 6 to a fully formed vixen when she turns darkside. Small or grown, they also do a lot of weird borderline incestuous stuff (its worse in Sailor Moon S when she knows Usagi and Mamoru are her parents. At least in Sailor Moon R they haven't figured it out yet, so its limited to a kids crush and Usagi's jealousy seems insane...) Anyways, here's the devil brainwashing an already traumatized and confused Chibiusa:

There's one episode where the villains make everyone sick through inoculations and medicine.
One where they infect the food.
One with mind control.
One where they try to hypnotize and borderline rape Usagi.
There's the Satanic-flipping of stuff. Black Moon clan; they all have upside down black crescent moons whereas Sailor Moon and Chibiusa have shining golden crescent moons like smiles...occasionally. They're basically like them, but different.
The Black Moon girls put a huge importance on hair and makeup. But they dress horribly. One even has nipples built right into her....i don't even know what to call it, boob armour?
Then again, there's a lot of sexualization on this show.

This is definitely not a show for kids if you're not watching the first-English-dub.

Also, the one thing that's bugged fans for years: how stupid is everyone around these girls? They don't look any different when they transform. Their hair alone should be a dead give-away. My goodness, how do they recognize anybody if they change clothes or hairstyles?

Unrelated, while browsing on Amazon, I stumbled across something truly disturbing. I honestly hope that anybody who orders this item is automatically registered in a sexual predators database. I was trying to find it to post the link here but Amazon doesn't want to work atm. Anyways, it was a body pillow case with a nude Chibiusa on it and her nether-regions um...idk man, there was some weirdness going on and its obviously designed for disturbed people to do disturbing things with.

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

There's only one true judge and that's God; so chill and let Our Father do His job
The following 3 users Like Thy Unveiling's post:
  • The Creeper, markymark1991, sophiaponders

03-06-2016, 08:55 PM #2
dzubmarinara
Marshall
i think u have to keep in mind Japan has different cultural norms than the west..
their censorship and stuff is a bit..weird..
The following 2 users Like dzubmarinara's post:
  • Lotte, Thy Unveiling

03-06-2016, 10:54 PM #3
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
Yes, thus the reason alien tentacle hentai is so huge over there...they're not allowed to draw male organs. But the censored lady part on the body pillow wasn't what disturbed me; it was the fact that a body pillowcase clearly designed for sexual purposes was featuring a cartoon character who is approximately between the ages of 6-8 years old. I wasn't as perturbed by the one featuring Sailor Moon who, while being a teenager in the series, resembles a woman. But somebody wanting to use the image of child to aid in their...uh self-manipulation...should be kept under watch when there's kids around.

There's only one true judge and that's God; so chill and let Our Father do His job
The following 2 users Like Thy Unveiling's post:
  • The Creeper, dzubmarinara

03-07-2016, 12:27 AM #4
dzubmarinara
Marshall
now that's super creepy
The following 2 users Like dzubmarinara's post:
  • The Creeper, Thy Unveiling

03-07-2016, 09:53 PM #5
Scimitar
Grand Commander
I'm wondering if Sailor Moon is worth peeling back that anime curtain for, once again...

...TU, if I'm not mistaken, you like this one, right? Can you recommend?

Ya big bro, Scimi Heart

Out beyond ideas
of wrong-doing,

and right-doing,

there is a field...

...I'll meet you there.
€

Jalaluddin Rumi
The following 2 users Like Scimitar's post:

03-07-2016, 10:43 PM #6
mrgrimm
Marshall
I remember Sailor Moon from back in the day. Kind of more a girls show though, so I was never really that interested...but i did watch it a few times because hey, what guy isn't going to pay at least a little bit of attention to girls in short skirts kicking butt! LOL.

Tv series aren't really my thing, only a handful are my taste. Two cartoons do come to mind that I do like - Pokemon and Avatar the last air bender series, I liked the original runs of those shows the best.
The following 3 users Like mrgrimm's post:
  • The Creeper, Scimitar, Thy Unveiling

03-07-2016, 11:01 PM #7
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
@Scimi: Yes, I do like this show Smile it's really trippy watching it now that I'm older. I would recommend watching either the newer dubs (2015, I think) or Japanese with English subtitles. The show is kinda formulaic and predictable at times, but I do like the storyline and overall I think the girls are decent role models with their kind hearts and message of love. They're kinda like Batman where they'll fight their enemy, but they don't want to kill them. Instead, they'll often try to help them turn their lives around. That show actually has had me tearing up a few times. I'm becoming a real softie Confused

Just reading about the storylines throughout the series is fascinating. I haven't seen much past the third season (Sailor Moon S), or even actually seen my favourite scout, Sailor Saturn, in action but her storyline is pretty interesting...confusing, at times, but I guess things do get confused when you have as much going on as she does. If I recall correctly, she's really sickly but also has healing powers (which she can't use on herself), her dad basically makes a deal with the devil to save her, she ends up possessed by some Mistress 9, her dad ends up sorta insane or enslaved or under mind control (idk, maybe I'm confusing him now with another foe), and Saturn "irl" is best friends with Chibiusa so there's many layers at work. And that's just Saturn's story. Although, of all the Sailors, she probably has the most in-depth storyline. Chibiusa has a sad one, too, for being so young. When I was 12, I didn't think much of what she goes through. As an adult, I want to hug her and tell her everything is going to be alright. She comes along in season 2/Sailor Moon R.

Why'd you have to ask me about this show, Scimi? I could blather on all day about it!

I plan on biting the bullet and getting the entire series off Amazon once I get a prepaid credit card... It'll be expensive, but well worth it!
This post was last modified: 03-07-2016, 11:08 PM by Thy Unveiling.

The following 2 users Like Thy Unveiling's post:
  • The Creeper, Scimitar

03-07-2016, 11:06 PM #8
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
(03-07-2016, 10:43 PM)mrgrimm Wrote:  I remember Sailor Moon from back in the day. Kind of more a girls show though, so I was never really that interested...but i did watch it a few times because hey, what guy isn't going to pay at least a little bit of attention to girls in short skirts kicking butt! LOL.

Tv series aren't really my thing, only a handful are my taste. Two cartoons do come to mind that I do like - Pokemon and Avatar the last air bender series, I liked the original runs of those shows the best.

Yeah, it definitely is more of a girls show.

Did you find Pokémon got a little hard to keep up with after the first season or so? Brock is there, then he isn't and its some Tracey guy, then Tracey's gone and Brock's back, then Misty disappears and who th are these other kids that follow him around? So many characters going in and out...smh kids shows should not be this confusing! Ah, well, it's not as mind boggling as trying to figure out wtf is up with Yu-Gi-Oh. Split personalities with mismatched voices and possible hallucinations, maybe schizophrenia, idk...that show is WAY too confusing!!!

The following 3 users Like Thy Unveiling's post:
  • The Creeper, Scimitar, mrgrimm

03-07-2016, 11:20 PM #9
mrgrimm
Marshall
(03-07-2016, 11:06 PM)Thy Unveiling Wrote:  Yeah, it definitely is more of a girls show.

Did you find Pokémon got a little hard to keep up with after the first season or so? Brock is there, then he isn't and its some Tracey guy, then Tracey's gone and Brock's back, then Misty disappears and who th are these other kids that follow him around? So many characters going in and out...smh kids shows should not be this confusing! Ah, well, it's not as mind boggling as trying to figure out wtf is up with Yu-Gi-Oh. Split personalities with mismatched voices and possible hallucinations, maybe schizophrenia, idk...that show is WAY too confusing!!!

Haha, yes there are several later versions of Pokemon that I know of with completely different characters besides Ash and his Pokemon. I am only familiar with the original crew that you mentioned, then Pokemon Black and White, Then Pokemon XY. I do miss some of Brock's antics Wink  but the others I mentioned are pretty good too. Black and WHite and XY are especially good because of the upgrades to the animation, makes it much more enjoyable to watch!

I must thank my 8 year old daughter for all this though, because if not for her then I would probably not be into this stuff these days!

I'll leave your Sailor Moon thread now, don't want it to get derailed on the topic of Pokemon!!! Big Grin
The following 2 users Like mrgrimm's post:

03-07-2016, 11:35 PM #10
FlixKandish
Chaplain
TU, the live action PGSM is waaaay better than the cartoon, imo ofc. It veers from the show a bit but stays pretty true to the comic, aside from a surprise character. You can't watch it online anymore , unfortunately, but there's a bootleg on ebay for ~$20, for the whole season. PGSM was only one season, with a reunion movie and sailor v back story.
The following 2 users Like FlixKandish's post: