#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
What is Truth?

02-29-2016, 05:36 AM #1
That1kid
Marshall
If you were following the thread sPEktral made about the question, "If religion was a contributor to the world's problems?", it got derailed into another topic. Which I find to be something really good to discuss. TRUTH, what is it? Many people all over know their own Truths from their lives and the experiences they have gained from them. People like myself, who believe in God, The Creator of the universe, resides with Him, THE TRUTH. By definition, there is only ONE TRUTH. There is no such thing as many truths and there is no such thing as many paths that will lead to Truth. The path is narrow, not wide. To understand what Truth means, we must know it's origin. For to know the Truth, is to understand our own existence, reality, and our nature as human beings.

My own thoughts on this will be explained as thorough as can be. I believe some of the things that were said from my fellow Christians in that thread, may have already been said. I don't know entirely because I decided to read up on some back and forth comments from one's replying on pages 10 to whatever it is now.

As a Christian, I believe in Jesus Christ. I believe He is the Only begotten Son of God, I believe that he died and rose again. I believe He sacrificed himself on the Cross and was crushed under the full force of God's Wrath to satisfy the demands of justice and therefore appeasing the Wrath of God. And makes it possible for a righteous God to forgive the iniquities of men. In His righteousness, in His justice, God condemns the world. God sends the law, and the law, aggravates the matter, even on purpose. It displays our sins in living color, it shows us that we are condemned. Those of you who seek to save yourselves by keeping the law, all of creation testifies against you. It's an impossibility. You have broken every law at every point.The law just makes you that much more guilty. In His righteousness God condemns the world and in His Grace, He designs a plan of salvation and what is that plan? God becomes a man. The Son of God incarnate.And he walks on this Earth, as a man. He is fully God, He is fully Man, the two natures are not confused or mixed, one is not diminished for the sake of the other. He is truly God and truly Man and he walks on this Earth as a Man. Then as a Man, as your Brother, He lives an absolutely perfect life. He's the only one of whom God can say, "This is my beloved Son, whom I am well pleased, behold he does all things well." The Gospel begins with God. The Origin of Truth begins with God and through His Son, Jesus Christ. That's why in scripture it says

Quote:John 1:1,14

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us. And we beheld His glory, a glory as of an only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.

In the beginning was the Word. Jesus
And the Word (Jesus) was with God.
And the Word (Jesus) was God.
And the Word (Jesus) became flesh. And dwelt among us, and we beheld his glory, glory as of the only begotten from The Father, full of grace and Truth.

My understanding of why people don't know the Truth and think they do from their experiences in life and what they have grown up to know, is because of Sin.  This is what we all have in common, SIN. I said this in Spek's thread but I didn't elaborate on it like I am now but you have to understand that if Sin is the common problem among humanity, then it is the one thing that is separating us from God, THE TRUTH.  You see the whole problem really comes back to the nature of God. God is Just, God is Holy, God can not violate His attributes. He can not do something that contradicts Himself. He is a righteous God. We are not good because we are evil. To remind you all again, the problem is Sin, that's why we can't see the Truth. Also, in order to come to the Truth, we must repent and believe in the Gospel, to believe in Jesus Christ.

Quote:Acts 17:30
The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent,

Quote:John 14:6

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

I have a bit more but I just wanted to get this thread going. I'll try to be on tomorrow, in the mean time, what do you all think?
This post was last modified: 02-29-2016, 05:49 AM by That1kid.

Matthew 6:34
"Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is it's own trouble."
The following 2 users Like That1kid's post:
  • MissCherokee, Open-Minds

02-29-2016, 05:59 AM #2
Tarikko
Chaplain
Salam kid,

Truth is "subjective", but from a Muslim point of view, God is the ultimate truth.
This post was last modified: 02-29-2016, 07:29 AM by Tarikko.

“The lies (Western slander) which well-meaning zeal has heaped round this man (Muhammad) are disgraceful to ourselves only.”

― Thomas Carlyle, On Heroes, Hero Worship and the Heroic in History

The following 2 users Like Tarikko's post:
  • Alex, Scimitar

02-29-2016, 06:12 AM #3
Armas
Marshall
The truth is...........

God does not need to sacrifice anything to forgive you. Smile

Have a good day.
The following 6 users Like Armas's post:
  • Alex, Kung Fu, Yahda, Scimitar, Tarikko, Sidhuriel

02-29-2016, 06:33 AM #4
Fides et Ratio
Marshall
(02-29-2016, 06:12 AM)Armas Wrote:  The truth is...........

How inspiring.

"Then spake Jesus unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth Me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life" (John 8:12)
The following 1 user Likes Fides et Ratio's post:
  • damien50

02-29-2016, 06:38 AM #5
Sidhuriel
Chaplain
Truth is subjective.

There is no objective truth; because all of us perceive the world/and reality differently. We might have common perceptions with our neighbour; and we might not. That depends on how our particular brain works; and how it processes the information it gets.

Several things can be stated as facts; due to overwhelming evidence for them and because all of us process those things as a truth. For instance; we can all agree that it's true that the sun provides daylight. That's because we all receive the same information from the sun; and we all perceive the sun in the same way.

That same can't be said about the unseen-the realm of God and the angels and djinn. We don't see it; so all of us have a different experience of it. That also causes most of us to have a different name for it; or a different religion we adhere to. Through our subjective experiences- we places the unseen things in a frame that fits our state of mind- and call that truth if it aligns with all of our perceptions.

The Qu'ran says that the very nature of faith or religion is to believe in that which we cannot see and accept it as truth .We cannot see God; yet His truth is manifested to us through the magnitude of creation. We cannot grasp the enormity of the Universe; but we can believe it is there. That is faith.

God ; taken in this context - is the ultimate answer to everything- and therefore the definition of truth. At least; such is my definition of it.

Islam means nothing more than to submit yourself to God; and live according to His rules.
This post was last modified: 02-29-2016, 06:39 AM by Sidhuriel.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness
Only light can do that
Hate can't drive out hate
Only love can do that
Heart
The following 4 users Like Sidhuriel's post:
  • Kung Fu, Scimitar, Tarikko, Armas

02-29-2016, 07:06 AM #6
Armas
Marshall
(02-29-2016, 06:33 AM)Fides et Ratio Wrote:  
(02-29-2016, 06:12 AM)Armas Wrote:  The truth is...........

How inspiring.

Of course it is. Smile
The following 3 users Like Armas's post:
  • Kung Fu, Scimitar, Tarikko

02-29-2016, 07:13 AM #7
Armas
Marshall
I don't think truth is subjective. Anything can be subjective except truth. That is why it is called truth.

There is no different views of truth. There is no multiple truths. There is only one truth.

So I do agree with the OP on that.
This post was last modified: 02-29-2016, 07:16 AM by Armas.
The following 4 users Like Armas's post:
  • MissCherokee, Kung Fu, Scimitar, Tarikko

02-29-2016, 07:33 AM #8
Scimitar
Grand Commander
(02-29-2016, 06:38 AM)Sidhuriel Wrote:  Truth is subjective.

There is no objective truth;

not all truth is subjective. There are undeniable and essential truths. Things no one can deny. Like colour. or love. Or poverty. These things exist. And they are unanimously agreed upon by real people to be "real". Therefore, truth.

When you say truth is subjective - that's not entirely accurate - the word "truth" is subjective, dependent on its usage.

Scimi

Out beyond ideas
of wrong-doing,

and right-doing,

there is a field...

...I'll meet you there.
€

Jalaluddin Rumi
The following 1 user Likes Scimitar's post:
  • Tarikko

02-29-2016, 07:40 AM #9
Sidhuriel
Chaplain
(02-29-2016, 07:33 AM)Scimitar Wrote:  
(02-29-2016, 06:38 AM)Sidhuriel Wrote:  Truth is subjective.

There is no objective truth;

not all truth is subjective. There are undeniable and essential truths. Things no one can deny. Like colour. or love. Or poverty. These things exist. And they are unanimously agreed upon by real people to be "real". Therefore, truth.

When you say truth is subjective - that's not entirely accurate - the word "truth" is subjective, dependent on its usage.

Scimi

Would look good on you if you read on past my first sentence. Because I then go on to say what you just said here Wink

Only light can do that
Only love can do that
Heart
The following 2 users Like Sidhuriel's post:
  • Tarikko, Scimitar

02-29-2016, 07:41 AM #10
Sidhuriel
Chaplain
(02-29-2016, 07:13 AM)Armas Wrote:  I don't think truth is subjective. Anything can be subjective except truth. That is why it is called truth.

There is no different views of truth. There is no multiple truths. There is only one truth.

So I do agree with the OP on that.

There is only one truth- care to elaborate? I've been looking for that all my life you know. And I think I have found it. Yet somehow I have the suspicion that your truth will not be the same as mine? Smile

Only light can do that
Only love can do that
Heart
The following 1 user Likes Sidhuriel's post:
  • Scimitar