#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums

Victor Frankenstein and Gods ambiguous purpose of mortality.

02-22-2016, 05:03 PM #1
I just finished watching Victor Frankenstein and it got me thinking, about why we as humans if there is a God are created mortal, and Im talking in a broad general sense here so please feel free to weigh in. For example The movie Frankenstein addresses and make some interesting point's. Victor, has a watch that has a sentiment that reminds him that if there is a God, he created us weak and ultimately mortal and that is not good enough.

I found it fascinating, now in the christian religion,  It is often said mortality is the result of sin in the garden of eden.  But is there more to it, if we look at just what mortality means. It means that, no matter how intelligent you are, no matter how strong you are, you ultimately answer to death. I kind of theorize that, this is something God if he exists possibly intended, because if we can do everything ourselves what do we need God for? Paul speaks of a thorn placed in his side, God would not remove it stating his grace is enough, and I remember reading someone deducing that, the reason why God allowed it to remain was so that Paul would remain humble and understand he needed God. Is it possible God has done the same thing.

Im not making this about Christianity because in all honest, I'd like to hear philosophical arguments rather than religious, if one says that death is a product of organism decay that's fine, I understand that. But if there is some God to you, and you believe in the advancement of technology to promote immortality what purpose was the mortality, to advance in knowledge if so what purpose does our death then serve.

I hear people talk of advancement and becoming Godlike technological immortals, or even genetically enhanced organism's and if you endorse that, do you think that it's possible that if humanity advances to this, then there are drawbacks that we have not considered such as frankenstein didn't that really outweigh this development as ourselves in our finite human foresight cannot see it.

If you believe that God is distant and is freely accepting, what purpose did he have for death? Death is unnatural according to Christian beliefs, we were actually not supposed to die, we messed that up, but one would think that if you believe God is a distant freely accepting being not concerned with "sin" or "punishment" intended it that way, and he didn't wish to serve a purpose, why did he create us that way.