#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
"The male Pill is coming - and it's going to change everything"

06-19-2015, 03:39 PM #1
Hex
Wanderer
So yeah, I just came across this:

The male Pill is coming - and it's going to change everything

(18th June 2015) Telegraph Wonder Women campaign: New forms of male contraception are estimated to hit the market in a few years and - unlike women's options - most won't contain hormones. Aaron Hamlin explains why you need to care

Quote:Male contraception is coming.

Vasalgel is a non-hormonal male contraceptive owned by the medical research organisation the Parsemus Foundation. It’s poised as the first FDA (Food and Drug Administration panel) approved male contraceptive since the condom.

What's more, it's estimated to hit the US market around 2018-2020 - and could change the way we view contraception for ever.

It's easy, too. One injection would last for years. Research tells us that at least half of men would use it.

Vasalgel is essentially a polymer that’s injected under local anesthetic into the man’s sperm-carrying tubes, accessible through the scrotum — not in his penis or testicles as some authors have erred. It works by blocking sperm and is expected to be reversible through a second injection that dissolves the polymer.

We’ll know for sure its length of efficacy and whether it’s fully reversible after the medical trials, which begin in 2016.

Another advantage of Vasalgel is that while it blocks sperm, other fluid can still pass through. This should reduce any risk of pain due to back pressure, an occasional issue with vasectomies. This could make Vasalgel a best-seller, even among men seeking a permanent contraceptive option.

Full article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-...thing.html

"We check and repress the divinity that stirs within us, to fall down and worship the divinity that is dead without us."
--  Henry David Thoreau, 1851

My Site: www.intelligentinfinity.net

The following 1 user Likes Hex's post:
  • VC

06-19-2015, 03:43 PM #2
RiderOfKarma
Marshall
So its like a clotting gel? Like glue?

06-19-2015, 03:56 PM #3
gooner4life
Knight
This is not a pill. I don't see how anyone can actually want to inject something into their body on purpose, especially not directly into their sperm tubes.

There is still the risk of back pressure, it's just reduced

06-19-2015, 04:10 PM #4
Loki
Chaplain
The big thing that concerns me is the idea that my nuts are trying to push out sperm and it's hitting a wall. Where does it go? Does the article say? I feel like it would be incredibly uncomfortable after a while and possible harmful to your gonads.

I'm totally open to taking birth control of some sort though as long as it is deemed safe. I don't want to make a baby almost as much as my girlfriend doesn't want to birth one.

“Life is neither good or evil, but only a place for good and evil.”
Marcus Aurelius

"In my opinion, there is a more scientific approach we can take to all hot-button issues. We do this when we stop demonizing the opposing viewpoints or victimizing ourselves, and we acknowledge and account for our own biases and emotions to the best of our ability."
--- Elliott C. Morgan

06-19-2015, 04:11 PM #5
gooner4life
Knight
(06-19-2015, 04:10 PM)Loki Wrote:  The big thing that concerns me is the idea that my nuts are trying to push out sperm and it's hitting a wall. Where does it go? Does the article say? I feel like it would be incredibly uncomfortable after a while and possible harmful to your gonads.

I'm totally open to taking birth control of some sort though as long as it is deemed safe. I don't want to make a baby almost as much as my girlfriend doesn't want to birth one.
A condom is over 99% likely to stop a kid. You'd have to be ridiculously unlucky (Or doing something way too kinky) for it to split or something

06-19-2015, 04:14 PM #6
Hex
Wanderer
Did a bit of looking round, and found a pretty nice article talking about this back in 2011. Seems the technology it is based on (RISUG) was first successfully trialled in 1993 with 100% success, and has been developed for the past 30 years (Only issues seem to be it was in India and had difficult gaining international traction):

Quote:"The procedure is known by the clunky acronym RISUG (for reversible inhibition of sperm under guidance), but it is in fact quite elegant: The substance that Das injected was a nontoxic polymer that forms a coating on the inside of the vas. As sperm flow past, they are chemically incapacitated, rendering them unable to fertilize an egg."

"In human tests, RISUG performed extremely well. In the first clinical trial of 17 men, published in 1993, all the subjects who received above a certain dosage became azoospermic—that is, they produced no viable sperm. By 2000, it was in Phase III clinical trials in India, the final stage before approval. The compound was injected into 139 men, and the early results looked promising. In May 2002, it was announced that RISUG was on track for approval in India and would be rolled out on a limited basis within six months."
http://www.wired.com/2011/04/ff_vasectomy/all/

"We check and repress the divinity that stirs within us, to fall down and worship the divinity that is dead without us."

The following 1 user Likes Hex's post:
  • VC

06-19-2015, 04:15 PM #7
Hex
Wanderer
(06-19-2015, 04:11 PM)gooner4life Wrote:  A condom is over 99% likely to stop a kid. You'd have to be ridiculously unlucky (Or doing something way too kinky) for it to split or something
Condoms also feel meh.

06-19-2015, 04:15 PM #8
Loki
Chaplain
(06-19-2015, 04:11 PM)gooner4life Wrote:  
(06-19-2015, 04:10 PM)Loki Wrote:  The big thing that concerns me is the idea that my nuts are trying to push out sperm and it's hitting a wall. Where does it go? Does the article say? I feel like it would be incredibly uncomfortable after a while and possible harmful to your gonads.

A condom is over 99% likely to stop a kid. You'd have to be ridiculously unlucky (Or doing something way too kinky) for it to split or something

I've only had one rip once. But condoms have become ridiculously uncomfortable as I've gotten older, when I was like 18 I didn't mind wearing one at all, but nowadays it's terribly uncomfortable. So if given the chance to prevent impregnation another way I'm down.

Marcus Aurelius

"In my opinion, there is a more scientific approach we can take to all hot-button issues. We do this when we stop demonizing the opposing viewpoints or victimizing ourselves, and we acknowledge and account for our own biases and emotions to the best of our ability."
--- Elliott C. Morgan

06-19-2015, 04:16 PM #9
gooner4life
Knight
(06-19-2015, 04:15 PM)Loki Wrote:  
(06-19-2015, 04:11 PM)gooner4life Wrote:  

I've only had one rip once. But condoms have become ridiculously uncomfortable as I've gotten older, when I was like 18 I didn't mind wearing one at all, but nowadays it's terribly uncomfortable. So if given the chance to prevent impregnation another way I'm down.
Fair enough, guess being young has its advantages Smile

06-19-2015, 04:19 PM #10
Loki
Chaplain
(06-19-2015, 04:14 PM)Hex Wrote:  Did a bit of looking round, and found a pretty nice article talking about this back in 2011. Seems the technology it is based on (RISUG) was first successfully trialled in 1993 with 100% success, and has been developed for the past 30 years (Only issues seem to be it was in India and had difficult gaining international traction):

Quote:"The procedure is known by the clunky acronym RISUG (for reversible inhibition of sperm under guidance), but it is in fact quite elegant: The substance that Das injected was a nontoxic polymer that forms a coating on the inside of the vas. As sperm flow past, they are chemically incapacitated, rendering them unable to fertilize an egg."

"In human tests, RISUG performed extremely well. In the first clinical trial of 17 men, published in 1993, all the subjects who received above a certain dosage became azoospermic—that is, they produced no viable sperm. By 2000, it was in Phase III clinical trials in India, the final stage before approval. The compound was injected into 139 men, and the early results looked promising. In May 2002, it was announced that RISUG was on track for approval in India and would be rolled out on a limited basis within six months."
http://www.wired.com/2011/04/ff_vasectomy/all/

So that makes it sound sort of like once there is a block in the tubes your body tells your testes, "Hey man, quit producing sperm, you'll end up hurting us." And your nuts just hang onto all the sperm for you until you tell it otherwise. This would even be beneficial for incredibly religious virgins, the ones that believe ejaculating is sinning because it's killing sperm. Now they will be able to spank it to their heart's content.

Marcus Aurelius

--- Elliott C. Morgan