The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Beware of Forum trolls and Operatives

01-30-2016, 01:51 AM #1
spaides
Knight

01-30-2016, 02:10 AM #2
Portent
Marshall
(01-30-2016, 01:51 AM)spaides Wrote:  How Covert Agents Infiltrate the Internet to Manipulate, Deceive, and Destroy Reputations

https://theintercept.com/2014/02/24/jtrig-manipulation/

I read the entire article and I am glad that I did. Everyone who participates in any online community should read this article. Intelligence Agencies are actively seeking to control the narrative online. This is a double edged sword for me. On the one hand I hate the fact that first world governments are engaging in these operations. On the other hand it means that when I seek to expose them and their agenda, they themselves think it important enough to throw their money and resources to subvert people like me.
The following 2 users Like Portent's post:
  • The Creeper, Kme0601

01-30-2016, 03:40 AM #3
Kme0601
Squire
(01-30-2016, 01:51 AM)spaides Wrote:  How Covert Agents Infiltrate the Internet to Manipulate, Deceive, and Destroy Reputations

https://theintercept.com/2014/02/24/jtrig-manipulation/

Great Topic! The charts were helpful putting clearer visuals to what I've seen around online communities. 
 ACNO Key Skill Strands, Gambits for Deception & Identifying and Exploiting Fracture Points. 
Breaks it down quite clearly. 

I have come across what I consider to be Operatives in most moderated communities. When a member is genuinely interested in participating for the sake of learning and discussions with opinions allowed, yet are accused or dismissed or out right ignored because someone more 'in the know' has dismissed their validity , is a good 1st clue that the community IS in ' THE GAME.'  jmo

01-30-2016, 03:54 AM #4
spaides
Knight
BBC 2006 article 

US plans to 'fight the net' revealed

[b]A newly declassified document gives a fascinating glimpse into the US military's plans for "information operations" - from psychological operations, to attacks on hostile computer networks.[/b]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4655196.stm
This post was last modified: 01-30-2016, 03:55 AM by spaides.
The following 3 users Like spaides's post:
  • Portent, The Creeper, Kme0601

01-30-2016, 08:48 AM #5
Kme0601
Squire
(01-30-2016, 03:54 AM)spaides Wrote:  BBC 2006 article 

US plans to 'fight the net' revealed

[b]A newly declassified document gives a fascinating glimpse into the US military's plans for "information operations" - from psychological operations, to attacks on hostile computer networks.[/b]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4655196.stm

Thanks for posting this! 
So this Information Operations Road Map began 13 years ago.  

{"Strategy should be based on the premise that the Department [of Defense] will 'fight the net' as it would an enemy weapons system," it reads.

The slogan "fight the net" appears several times throughout the roadmap.

The authors warn that US networks are very vulnerable to attack by hackers, enemies seeking to disable them, or spies looking for intelligence }

Makes me wonder who would be considered an enemy today than. And would anyone inadvertently searching intelligence be considered an enemy. 
This article, coupled with the original article you posted is a 'and here it is folks' for those who've been saying it's coming/already done. 
The following 2 users Like Kme0601's post:
  • Portent, The Creeper

01-30-2016, 01:51 PM #6
xoa.
Justiciar
All I can say is, scum. The lot of them. 

Thanks for posting this! Smile

"Our lives end when we become silent about things that matter" - Martin Luther King Jr

An Arab poet said:

The vast ocean feels no harm
                  When the boy pitches into it a rock.
The following 2 users Like xoa.'s post:
  • Portent, The Creeper