#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
9th Planet Potentially Discovered in the Solar System

01-20-2016, 04:58 PM #1
Hex
Wanderer
Astronomers say a Neptune-sized planet lurks beyond Pluto

Quote:(20 January 2016) Astronomers from the California Institute of Technology (CIT) announced on Wednesday that they have found evidence to suggest that our solar system does indeed have a ninth planet -- a rather enormous one at that. This as-of-yet unnamed planet, which is being referred to as "Planet Nine" for the time being, is thought to be between five and ten times the size of the Earth and orbits so far beyond Pluto that it circles the sun just once every 10,000 to 20,000 years.

The CIT team, comprised of astronomers Michael Brown and Konstantin Batygin, have not directly observed the planet, but instead have inferred its existence based on the unusual movements of dwarf planets located in the outer solar system. As the team reports in the Astronomical Journal, these planetoids appear to be influenced by the gravity of an unseen celestial body.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/20/astro...th-planet/
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/01/f...anetx-1987

"We check and repress the divinity that stirs within us, to fall down and worship the divinity that is dead without us."
--  Henry David Thoreau, 1851

My Site: www.intelligentinfinity.net

The following 7 users Like Hex's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper, Serendipity, Goku, Sidhuriel, All Creation, Loki

01-21-2016, 03:25 AM #2
Sidhuriel
Chaplain
Ah, they found the place the aliens are going to come from Wink

Darkness cannot drive out darkness
Only light can do that
Hate can't drive out hate
Only love can do that
Heart
The following 3 users Like Sidhuriel's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper, peacebeuponall

01-21-2016, 05:12 AM #3
Goku
Chaplain
Thanks for the share bro, this is really great news.

I love how we thought we'd fully explored our Solar System then BOOM, another planet shows up. It just goes to show how little we still know about what's out there.

Quote: Sidhuriel:

Ah, they found the place the aliens are going to come from

I doubt that Sid, this sounds like fear mongering, no offence Big Grin (Unless you were joking ofc, then my bad)

Aliens are more likely to come from planets that at least look inhabitable, a Gas giant having inhabitants would be extremely surprising.
This post was last modified: 01-21-2016, 05:13 AM by Goku.
The following 5 users Like Goku's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper, Tarikko, Serendipity, Sidhuriel

01-21-2016, 07:14 AM #4
Sidhuriel
Chaplain
(01-21-2016, 05:12 AM)Goku Wrote:  
Quote: Sidhuriel:

Ah, they found the place the aliens are going to come from

I doubt that Sid, this sounds like fear mongering, no offence Big Grin (Unless you were joking ofc, then my bad)

Aliens are more likely to come from planets that at least look inhabitable, a Gas giant having inhabitants would be extremely surprising.

A bit of both my friend; it's called sarcasm Smile

Darkness cannot drive out darkness
Only light can do that
Hate can't drive out hate
Only love can do that
Heart
The following 4 users Like Sidhuriel's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper, Tarikko, Goku

01-21-2016, 07:35 AM #5
Serendipity
Justiciar
Pluto, you will always be my ninth planet <3

On a serious note though, just like Goku said, this shows how little we know about the universe. It's mindblowing actually. Thanks for the info! 

"Happiness only real when shared" - Christopher McCandless
The following 4 users Like Serendipity's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper, Tarikko, Goku

01-21-2016, 07:45 AM #6
Goku
Chaplain
(01-21-2016, 07:14 AM)Sidhuriel Wrote:  A bit of both my friend; it's called sarcasm Smile

My apologies then Smile
The following 3 users Like Goku's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper, Sidhuriel

01-21-2016, 07:54 AM #7
Goku
Chaplain
(01-21-2016, 07:35 AM)Serendipity Wrote:  Pluto, you will always be my ninth planet <3

On a serious note though, just like Goku said, this shows how little we know about the universe. It's mindblowing actually. Thanks for the info! 

They are discussing whether to call this Planet, once it's visibly seen, Pluto, in honour of the original Pluto which I think is a good idea.
This post was last modified: 01-21-2016, 08:20 AM by Goku.
The following 3 users Like Goku's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper, Serendipity

01-21-2016, 08:39 AM #8
Riddler
Chaplain
but, is it flat?!!?

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 

if it isn't , it's a NASA fake image Big Grin 

aaaanyyyhooo

read 'bout it couple days ago yeah, very cool stuff. i agree that pluto should be concidered a planet either way.
even if the terminology perhaps doesnt fit that for a planet, imho, its simple, you have planets, moons and suns/stars.
i understand why one would call something a dwarf, a giant, a gasbody, or whatever. but imho, you simply take a galaxy and you have the sun [or 2] at the centre, then you have the relative planets with their moons, and in that galaxy you have asteroids, meteroids etc.

what DOES surpise me still, though is how it's possible there can be a 'hidden' planet in our galaxy. i mean how is that even possible if telescopes can see so far, and there are sattelites like hubble sent out in space. how can we know or make out distant galaxies, discover keplar-whatever planets similar to earth [supposedly], but there is still a planet hidden in our very own galaxy?

doesnt make any sense imho.

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout ‘Save us!’ And I'll whisper ‘No
------------
----------------------------------------------
The following 5 users Like Riddler's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, celle76, peacebeuponall, Tarikko, Scimitar

01-21-2016, 12:42 PM #9
All Creation
Marshall
(01-21-2016, 08:39 AM)Riddler Wrote:  but, is it flat?!!?

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 

if it isn't , it's a NASA fake image Big Grin 

aaaanyyyhooo

read 'bout it couple days ago yeah, very cool stuff. i agree that pluto should be concidered a planet either way.
even if the terminology perhaps doesnt fit that for a planet, imho, its simple, you have planets, moons and suns/stars.
i understand why one would call something a dwarf, a giant, a gasbody, or whatever. but imho, you simply take a galaxy and you have the sun [or 2] at the centre, then you have the relative planets with their moons, and in that galaxy you have asteroids, meteroids etc.

what DOES surpise me still, though is how it's possible there can be a 'hidden' planet in our galaxy. i mean how is that even possible if telescopes can see so far, and there are sattelites like hubble sent out in space. how can we know or make out distant galaxies, discover keplar-whatever planets similar to earth [supposedly], but there is still a planet hidden in our very own galaxy?

doesnt make any sense imho.

This certainly is cool, indeed. Regarding not detecting it until now, there are several factors contributing to that. First off, if this planet is much further away from the sun than the others, it will be receiving and reflecting a lot less light than the others. Also, if it is made of materials that absorb most of the light it gets and only reflects a little of it back, that too will make it much dimmer and more difficult to detect. And if it is much further away from the other planets and is not very massive, its gravity will not really have much effect on the other planets. Also, is the 5 to 10 times the size of Earth 5 to 10 times the diameter, which would make it close to the size of Jupiter or Saturn, or 5 to 10 times the volume, which would make it considerably smaller than Neptune, and a lot less massive?
The following 7 users Like All Creation's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, celle76, The Creeper, Serendipity, Scimitar, Goku, Riddler

01-21-2016, 02:48 PM #10
Riddler
Chaplain
good points man, great post!

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout ‘Save us!’ And I'll whisper ‘No
------------
----------------------------------------------
The following 2 users Like Riddler's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, All Creation