#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Is Neil DeGrasse Tyson a liar?

01-20-2016, 05:53 AM #1
oktocus
Squire
Famous astrophysicist Neil De Grasse Tyson claims the earth is pear shaped/oblate spheroid, i.e. its a little wider at the equator owing to its spin.
Refer to this video

Yet, NASA photos (that we must dogmatically accept as being genuine) show a perfectly spherical shaped earth.
[Image: 1972_earth.jpg]

Earth cant simultaneously be a perfectly spherical AND an oblate spheroid/pear shaped.
Neil and NASA can't both be simultaneously correct.

So who is lying? Neil or NASA?
This post was last modified: 01-20-2016, 05:55 AM by oktocus.
The following 2 users Like oktocus's post:
  • Lunar0, LleoOneiro

01-20-2016, 06:21 AM #2
Tarikko
Chaplain
The earth is shaped like an Ostrich egg

As for Neil.. Well he is famous.

He wouldn't have been given the chance to go on tv, "educate" the people unless he was favorably looked upon by that group

Mixing lies with truth..

I'm not saying that everything he teaches is a lie.. Do your duty and filter info

The best liars tell near truth Smile

“The lies (Western slander) which well-meaning zeal has heaped round this man (Muhammad) are disgraceful to ourselves only.”

― Thomas Carlyle, On Heroes, Hero Worship and the Heroic in History

The following 2 users Like Tarikko's post:
  • khadeejah, Trenton

01-20-2016, 07:17 AM #3
Goku
Chaplain
He is not wrong.

As per the many previous threads, if gravity was uniform everywhere then yes, it would be a perfect sphere however, it is not, therefore it is more an oblate or prolate spheroid.
The following 3 users Like Goku's post:
  • khadeejah, Tarikko, Loki

01-20-2016, 07:18 AM #4
Kme0601
Squire
(01-20-2016, 05:53 AM)oktocus Wrote:  Famous astrophysicist Neil De Grasse Tyson claims the earth is pear shaped/oblate spheroid, i.e. its a little wider at the equator owing to its spin.
Refer to this video

Yet, NASA photos (that we must dogmatically accept as being genuine) show a perfectly spherical shaped earth.
[Image: 1972_earth.jpg]

Earth cant simultaneously be a perfectly spherical AND an oblate spheroid/pear shaped.
Neil and NASA can't both be simultaneously correct.

So who is lying? Neil or NASA?

Richard Mentock had the best description of why the term pear-shaped can be used to describe earth, that I could find. 
"There are seven 3-degree spherical harmonics, one of which is the so-called "pear-shape".  Not only is the pear-shape two orders of magnitude smaller yet than even the almost unnoticeable 2-degree, there are other 3-degree harmonics that are a bit bigger than it!  The pear-shape was the first 3-degree harmonic to be measured, by analyzing the effect of the earth's gravity field on the orbits of the first artificial satellites in the late fifties, and it caused a stir.  A lot of people, geophysicists and non-geophysicists alike, responded to the idea that earth could have such an odd and asymmetrical shape, in even the slightest way.  But it is extremely slight, relative to the spherical shape of the earth."
The following 1 user Likes Kme0601's post:
  • Loki

01-20-2016, 02:46 PM #5
Riddler
Chaplain
what is this, another covert attempt on a flat earth topic?
seriously, WTF is this shiz

btw, is it me, or is this planet turning more and more into a red planet - the green is disappearing on a rapid rate as it seems.
This post was last modified: 01-20-2016, 02:49 PM by Riddler.

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout ‘Save us!’ And I'll whisper ‘No
------------
----------------------------------------------
The following 1 user Likes Riddler's post:
  • Tarikko

01-21-2016, 05:52 AM #6
oktocus
Squire
(01-20-2016, 07:17 AM)Goku Wrote:  He is not wrong.

As per the many previous threads, if gravity was uniform everywhere then yes, it would be a perfect sphere

But NASA's own photographs show a perfect sphere.

Both NASA and Neil can't be simultaneously correct.

Quote:however, it is not, therefore it is more an oblate or prolate spheroid.

If it is more of an ''oblate or prolate spheroid'', then why does NASA show us photos of a completely spherical earth?

If Neil DeGrass is speaking the truth, then it makes NASA out to be liars.
This post was last modified: 01-21-2016, 05:59 AM by oktocus.

01-21-2016, 07:33 AM #7
Goku
Chaplain
(01-21-2016, 05:52 AM)oktocus Wrote:  If it is more of an ''oblate or prolate spheroid'', then why does NASA show us photos of a completely spherical earth?

If Neil DeGrass is speaking the truth, then it makes NASA out to be liars.

NASA could potentially be lying about the photo, however, it's a photo - it could just be down to the angle/perspective it was taken from.

01-21-2016, 08:41 AM #8
Riddler
Chaplain
this flat earth stuff is getting really out of control.

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout ‘Save us!’ And I'll whisper ‘No
------------
----------------------------------------------
The following 2 users Like Riddler's post:
  • Tarikko, Goku

01-21-2016, 09:14 AM #9
oktocus
Squire
(01-21-2016, 08:41 AM)Riddler Wrote:  this flat earth stuff is getting really out of control.

It is out of control because millions are waking up to it.

Those who place their trust in NASA will do what they normally do: mock it; and if that doesn't work, stifle the discussion.

01-21-2016, 12:14 PM #10
All Creation
Marshall
As I mentioned previously, the equatorial bulge due to Earth's rotation is only a few miles, very tiny compared to the size of Earth, so it certainly will not be noticeable in pictures taken from afar.
The following 1 user Likes All Creation's post:
  • Goku