#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums

Lazarus David Bowie symbolism

01-13-2016, 08:01 PM #1
Hi, I would like to start a discussion about David Bowie's Lazarus song. 
First of all, I feel very sorry for such a big loss... He's music has been a big influence for lots of people from my generation. Every performer passing away takes a small piece of us down, untill there is nothing left... Undecided

Back to the topic. I have found lots of creepy symbolism in Lazarus clip. I would like to analyse it step by step. 

Did anyone notice why the video is recorced in a square format? Just like to show, that there are no wide perspectives for the main character? 

First we have the entering scene - a big closet with darkness inside. The first thing that comes to mind is that it's David's coffin. It can also be a symbol of the dark side od David's life, which was connected with satanistic occultism. We keep our skeletons in our closets, but if we open the door... Well, here we see two fingers opening them. As far as I am concerned, two fingers represent some kind of deamon. We see a woman's face  appearing from the dark. It's the very same person from previous Bowie's clips, for example Blackstar. In that song, she has a long tail coming out from under her dress It can be a symbol of a mind controlled sex kitten, or simply of a deamon. Creepy, but at first, the woman has a friendly face.
Later, we see Bowie lying on the bed. He looks very bad, his skin is pale and veins are coming out. It seems to be a hospital, and he is covered with a pink blanket. At first he is holding it very tight, not letting it go. He's head is in bandages, so he can't see anything (anymore?). Only small black buttons, the same ones that we can find on a doll or mascot. What did Bowie want to tell us with this particular scene? My first impression is that he is part dead, physically and mentally. He is almost on the other side, but still communicating with ... Well, with us, right?
The whole bed scene - in my opinion - is David's struggle between heaven and hell. At first he is cuddling his blanket and same sinning:
"Look up here, I'm in heaven. 
I've got scars that can't be seen. 
I've got dramma, can't be stollen. 
Everybody knows me now". 

Im guessing that the struggle is his last panic attack, that the day has finally came do die.
He reaches up, just like he was waiting for him to be picked up. But it's not happening.
We can see the presence of the other person in the room, the lady known form Blackstar. She is under the bed. If the bed itself would represent purgatory, I'd say that she is the devil reaching out for David. She was first, she came. We don't see any angels, just David's constant reaching out.
While the woman is reaching out to David, He himself starts to levitate from over the bed, sinning: "Look up here man, Im in danger. Ive got nothing left to loose. Im so high it makes my brain whirl, Dropped my cell phone down below" - who is he sinning this to? God od Satan? It can be interpreted in two different ways... In this scene He is spinning 180 derees, and suddenly the underbed with lady deamon, turnes up side down. Bowie is now facing down, and the space upon him is missing the lady. She just left a shoe. Why?
Can it be that she is a fallen angel? But once the world has turned arround, "it" fell down again, to hell?

Then we see David in a black costume with white stripes. There is a big close up on his face. We can see his eyes, all black. He does't look good at all. Those are his last moments of energy. 
At first I didn't understand why Bowie is dancing so strange (as like he had ever danced like a normal person... Wink ) but now It just came to me, that this is a fast forward of his career, ever since he came to New York.

By the time I got to New York
I was living like a king
Then I used up all my money
I was looking for your ass...

Did Bowie loose all his time and money on finding himself?

This way or no way
You know, I’ll be free
Just like that bluebird
Now ain’t that just like me
Oh I’ll be free
Just like that bluebird
Oh I’ll be free
Ain’t that just like me"

There is no other way, but to go down with the deamon. In one scene, the camera is going backwards, showing a bigger perspective. In this shot we see the deamon standing on one leg. It's foot is pointing in the bed direction. Later we see two feet, one pointing the bed, second, David' black costumed version on the right, near the desk. Is it his soul? His memories? 
We can see that he is writting something down, very fast, chaotic. It might be his will, maybe he hadn't done if yet, maybe its this song's lyrics, maybe he is writting down his last thoughts which will illuminate his memmory? The scull lying on the desk is reminding him, that time is running out...?

Although we know that David is leaving us, no idea where... He is comparing himself to a bluebird. Songwriters have adopted the bluebird as a symbol of happiness and cheer. In my opinion, he is struggeling a lot with this situation, that's why David nr2 is reaching out towards the bed. Is it that the dying David is the mortal version, and David nr2 is the immortal one. That's why he is going backwards, pusshing the bad energy away with his right arm, and pulling himself with his left one to the closet.

I would be very happy with all of you participating in my analysis. I believe that with new perspectives, we can figure out David's last thoughts the right way.
The following 1 user Likes weawe84's post:
  • argus

01-14-2016, 05:27 PM #2
Hi, I agree with you, great analysis. I have actually not been able to look at the whole video until now. Very strong symbology. The whole thing with the videos and his death are frightening.

The one thing I thought of is the hand movement the woman does when she is under his bed. She turns her hand and points her fingers up towards him. This seems to be part of some kind of spell, controlling him even on his death bed.

The striped dress he is wearing reminds me of some faded out Ziggy costume.

The writing scene is just scary. Here he seems to be possessed by the demon woman, just in line with many other artists with help from the demonic side. Interesting that it is the same woman in both videos. Are they supposed to be part 1 and 2? Is lazarus then part 2?

The buttons on his bandage points to so many interpretations, will get back on this.