#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Home Schooling

01-11-2016, 12:21 PM #1
justjess
Chaplain
After much deliberation I am filing my letter of intent to homeschool my son with the state today. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with homeschooling and perhaps advice on how to go about it so that your child is actually getting a quality education.. I have been putting this off for years out of some sort of fear I guess and have finally come to the conclusion that the public school system is entirely inadequate and unable to provide my son with even a basic education and wants nothing more than an inroads into our family life to try to monitor us and my son and set him up for a lifetime of bulkshit because he is not a damn obedient drone... The whole thing is actually kinda nerve wrecking though since I never even questioned the benefit of public schooling before dealing with this with my son. He has a borderline genius iq and is failing out of school and all they care about is his inability to keep his mouth shut when people disrespect him. It's been a nightmare... Anyway advice experience anything would be much appreciated

01-11-2016, 12:30 PM #2
Todd
Chaplain
Home schooling is a perfectly valid form of education....but it's not for everybody.  I know or have known many people who do or have home schooled their children.   At the K-6 grade level the parent doing the home schooling really needs to be capable...not everyone is.  I don't mean they need a teaching degree or anything like that, but they must do plenty of research and having a teaching mentality.  Above that, if the child is a self learner, home schooling through a credited, respectable curriculum is effective with little input, other than accountability from the parent.  

How old is your son?  Sounds to me like he is a good candidate for home-schooling.  Not to get all up in your personal business, but if you have a good relationship with him and keep him accountable to put the work in, I believe it could be a great thing for your son, as it sounds like the public school system is not doing him much good.  

A Beka Academy has a good reputation as a home school curriculum if you don't mind something from a Christian Perspective.
This post was last modified: 01-11-2016, 12:31 PM by Todd.

Then shall the king say to those on his right hand, Come ye, the blessed of my Father, inherit the reign that hath been prepared for you from the foundation of the world;

And the king answering, shall say to them, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as ye did to one of these my brethren -- the least -- to me ye did
The following 7 users Like Todd's post:
  • MaryJane, doubleshot, bbsion, Thy Unveiling, Tarikko, khadeejah, Kung Fu

01-11-2016, 12:38 PM #3
Kung Fu
Chaplain
(01-11-2016, 12:21 PM)justjess Wrote:  After much deliberation I am filing my letter of intent to homeschool my son with the state today. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with homeschooling and perhaps advice on how to go about it so that your child is actually getting a quality education.. I have been putting this off for years out of some sort of fear I guess and have finally come to the conclusion that the public school system is entirely inadequate and unable to provide my son with even a basic education and wants nothing more than an inroads into our family life to try to monitor us and my son and set him up for a lifetime of bulkshit because he is not a damn obedient drone... The whole thing is actually kinda nerve wrecking though since I never even questioned the benefit of public schooling before dealing with this with my son. He has a borderline genius iq and is failing out of school and all they care about is his inability to keep his mouth shut when people disrespect him. It's been a nightmare... Anyway advice experience anything would be much appreciated

Since I live in Canada and the laws and rules surrounding home schooling will probably vary, I can't tell you much besides the fact that your son will be much better off being home schooled.

My aunt's son throughout his beginning years of elementary school was extremely intelligent and scored nearly perfect in every report card. However, as the years went on his marks were going down the drain to the point where he was almost failing near the end of his elementary school years. That's when my aunt decided to home school him. He's now 26, my age, an engineer, and leads an adult competitive chess program for people who want to play competitive chess. He attributes all of it to the home schooling he received from the age of 12 and onward from his aunt and math tutor. He told me that 6 hours of home schooling was equivalent to a week's worth of public schooling.
This post was last modified: 01-11-2016, 12:48 PM by Kung Fu.

Prophet Muhammad (SallAllahu alaihi wasalam) said:

"My similitude and that of the life of this world is that of a traveler who took a rest at mid-day under a shade of a tree and then left it."       (Ahmad, at-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah and al-Hakim)

The following 8 users Like Kung Fu's post:
  • damien50, Trenton, Thy Unveiling, Goku, Loki, Tarikko, khadeejah, Todd

01-11-2016, 12:47 PM #4
Kung Fu
Chaplain
(01-11-2016, 12:30 PM)Todd Wrote:  A Beka Academy has a good reputation as a home school curriculum if you don't mind something from a Christian Perspective.

My sister-in-law went to a private Islamic school and the quality education they get there is fantastic. Blew my mind away when I seen the level of math, science, and etc. they were dealing with at their age. If I only had a choice to send my kid to Catholic school or public school, I would pick the Catholic school every singly time.

"My similitude and that of the life of this world is that of a traveler who took a rest at mid-day under a shade of a tree and then left it."       (Ahmad, at-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah and al-Hakim)

The following 6 users Like Kung Fu's post:
  • damien50, Thy Unveiling, justjess, Tarikko, khadeejah, Todd

01-11-2016, 12:52 PM #5
justjess
Chaplain
My son is 12 Todd and I have numerous professional teachers in my family thankfully so should I hit some sort of wall with this homeschooling thing I do have trusted resources I can turn to (first and foremost my mom who is a retired teacher). And yeah me and my son have a fantastic relationship and always have. I know parents sometimes just say that but it's honestly the truth. I will look into the place you suggested, thank you.

That's great about your cousin Kung fu, I would be perfectly happy with whatever my son decided to pursue whether academic or trade. I just want him to engage and be interested in something. You might actually appreciate this... One of the final straws for me was when he came home from school and told me that 911 and Isis were caused by jealousy of our (I assume American) money. My and his dad just looked at each other amazed. The legal requirements in New York are pretty relaxed. I did find it interesting that I am legally required to teach him "patriotism" though.. Not sure I can actually comply with that and think the requirement is absolute bulkshit and just more evidence that they are trying to brainwash these kids.
The following 6 users Like justjess's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, Goku, Todd, Loki, khadeejah, Kung Fu

01-11-2016, 01:05 PM #6
Kung Fu
Chaplain
(01-11-2016, 12:52 PM)justjess Wrote:  My son is 12 Todd and I have numerous professional teachers in my family thankfully so should I hit some sort of wall with this homeschooling thing I do have trusted resources I can turn to (first and foremost my mom who is a retired teacher). And yeah me and my son have a fantastic relationship and always have. I know parents sometimes just say that but it's honestly the truth. I will look into the place you suggested, thank you.

That's great about your cousin Kung fu, I would be perfectly happy with whatever my son decided to pursue whether academic or trade. I just want him to engage and be interested in something. You might actually appreciate this... One of the final straws for me was when he came home from school and told me that 911 and Isis were caused by jealousy of our (I assume American) money. My and his dad just looked at each other amazed. The legal requirements in New York are pretty relaxed. I did find it interesting that I am legally required to teach him "patriotism" though.. Not sure I can actually comply with that and think the requirement is absolute bulkshit and just more evidence that they are trying to brainwash these kids.

I truly wish you the best with this seeing as I'm a big advocate for any type of schooling besides public schooling. Public schooling kills the creativity of our kids, turns them into idiots, turns them against their parents, and much more. I know you might not think much of this but I'll pray to God to help you with this part of your journey and help you with whichever decision you decide to take, which I hope will be home schooling Smile

The following 5 users Like Kung Fu's post:
  • Tarikko, justjess, Thy Unveiling, Todd, khadeejah

01-11-2016, 01:23 PM #7
luna
Marshall
Do you know of any other homeschooled kids in the area? From an actual home schooled kid's perspective (I did switch to public school eventually, but for my younger educational years and middle school I was) it makes a difference to the kid to make those connections. I enjoyed being able to chat with and get together with other homeschooled kids for stuff, educational and non. We had something in common and could relate to each other and I formed some really great lasting friendships.

Obviously he can still be friends with his old public school mates, but I just thought I'd point out something in my own experience. Idk if that helps, good luck though!
The following 6 users Like luna's post:
  • Tarikko, khadeejah, Thy Unveiling, justjess, Goku, Todd

01-11-2016, 02:03 PM #8
Lady
Chaplain
I home-schooled my children until high school. I did not have an degree in Education at the time, however, I now do and work in the public schools. I have many mixed feelings about both types of schooling mainly because I think we all have been so brainwashed about "how to educate" children.
I really think that it pays to do some studying and observation of different types of education. By that I mean, go to any school  that will allow you to and observe teachers and classrooms of all ages. I have a huge interest in "project-based" education as well as the philosophy behind Montessori education. Take what you find is good and helpful, and leave what will not work.

Involve your child in every possible educational event-whether it is sight-seeing on vacation to a famous author's hometown, or a local science fair, a visit to the symphony, or calculating the batting scores of a favorite baseball team-anything that will grab and engage your child's interest and challenge his mind.  

If your child is having trouble in public school, find out why. I think many students with behavior issues are children who are bored with the class material, tired of sitting and listening to teachers drone on (ha! I have done it to students myself!) and aren't getting the hands-on learning that they need.

If you want to discuss more, you can PM me!

The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.  Jeremiah 31:3
The following 4 users Like Lady's post:
  • Goku, khadeejah, Thy Unveiling, justjess

01-11-2016, 03:47 PM #9
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
Thank you for this thread, Jess! I've been debating on homeschooling myself. It's still a couple years off for Wee Miss, but public schools here have been going steadily downhill for years. Currently (at least, last I heard) there's some work-to-rule thing going on where teachers are doing the bare minimum required of them. The elementary teachers were going to strike. It seems teachers in Ontario are often striking. I don't think they're too happy with the limitations on what they can/have to teach, but I think there's other things at play as well. Regardless, strikes and quality of education aren't really an issue with homeschooling or private.

You seem to have everything in place like your son is clearly meant to be homeschooled and receive the best education from his family. When you have to bring him in for the quarterly (or whatever its called) tests they make homeschooled kids do (I think they still do this. They want to make sure your kid is learning what they want them to know...) and they ask about patriotism, I'd recommend saving the hassle and tell him "They want you to believe 9/11 wasn't a hoax, that America's the greatest country ever, and that our votes count." I hate suggesting for kids to lie, but sometimes it's necessary. It's so much harder when they're extra pure Sad

If money wasn't an issue, I'd probably go the Montessori route myself. But I don't have teachers in my family, and I honestly don't think I'd be a very good teacher. She and I get along great most of the time, but sometimes we also need time outs from eachother. We're too much alike and its not always a good thing.

Luna does bring up a good point about the social aspect. I've heard of homeschooling groups in the area that will get together for field trips or different classes. I'm not sure exactly how you'd go about joining them, but I'm sure you could inquire with someone in the homeschooling community.

KF, where was this Islamic school? Somewhere in the GTA? Did it cost the family a lot to send her there? I might take this convo to pm if it was in the GTA and fairly affordable...

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

There's only one true judge and that's God; so chill and let Our Father do His job
The following 3 users Like Thy Unveiling's post:
  • Goku, khadeejah, justjess

01-11-2016, 04:16 PM #10
justjess
Chaplain
I just moved to this state so I don't really know anyone except my in laws and certainly not any homeschooled kids. All the kids in my husbands family go to catholic school (they aren't Catholic but they are Christian).. My oldest nephew goes to a boarding school in another state because he was failing out of high school. Sending my son away will never be an option for me and I simply cannot afford private catholic school right now nor am I sure those kids get any better of an education atleast in NYC. I helped one of my nephews with his homework and was not impressed though it did seem more difficult then my sons atleast. I can look into homeschool groups though, and I have definitely thought about doing so. He is involved with sports and sees his cousins who are all in the same age group regularly and has some good friends from growing up he sees as well but I do see the benefit of having kids going through the same thing so I will definitely add that to my list of things to do.

They only have to do annual Evals here. Even those make me nervous because pretty much as soon as you decide to homeschool the school cuts u off completely and doesn't help u at all. No telling me what the benchmarks are or anything.

There is a "free/democratic" school out here which is kinda like a Montessori but again, money. I can't afford it so even though I thought it would be perfect for him I put it out of my mind. It's a damn shame that the public school systems only offer really one option and if your kid doesn't fit that mold oh well. The alternative schools for kids with behavioral issues aren't actually different models just slightly altered dumbed down versions of regular public school. I wish I'd never sent him there at all.. They took a kid who loved to learn and completely killed that in him.
The following 2 users Like justjess's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, khadeejah