#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Credit card acceptance without interest payments

01-10-2016, 11:53 AM #1
peacebeuponall
Peasant
Hello Everyone,

Sorry for mostly being a lurker and for not participating as much as I would like to. I literally work 24/7 everyday and while i read many posts and fervently "like" these I do worry about not being able to follow through with back and forth replies due to time constraints.

I assume that some of you are business owners or entrepreneurs who might face the same issues as I am in relation to accepting debit or credit card payments due to religious or other considerations.

My company manages some boutique hotels and vacation rental homes and until last month had managed to avoid accepting credit card payments.

Our customer base has significantly changed with the acquisition of more properties with a predominantly international target audience whereby accepting credit card payments  has become inevitable.

I was wondering whether anyone is aware of alternatives to typical merchant accounts which are inseparable from dealing in interest/riba. 

I understand that this is likely quite tricky in the sense that even if such alternatives did exist and I could pay some kind of agreed upon fee to use the service on my end there would still be the fact that my guests are also using credit cards and paying interests to stay at my properties.

I am very curious to hear how anyone with a religious or other predisposition against paying or accepting interests is able to operate internationally minded businesses.

Granted that hospitality would likely not rank highest as chosen field of "religious" people however on a personal level I do believe there are ways to navigate around some of the other challenges.

Thank you for your time and best wishes to all.

Mariam
The following 2 users Like peacebeuponall's post:
  • Scimitar, Trenton

01-10-2016, 07:16 PM #2
Trenton
Justiciar
Not sure, but this PDF may have some insight. It's a bit complicated, but it seems it might have an answer to your predicament.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w...kzn0Z1ynew

I know you're coming in the night like a thief, but I've had some time alone, to hone my lying technique. I know you think that I'm someone you can trust, but I'm scared I'll get scared, and I swear I'll try to nail you back up. So do you think that we could work out a sign, so I'll know it's you and that it's over so I won't even try? I know you're coming for the people like me. We've all got wood and nails, turned out in a hate factory.
The following 3 users Like Trenton's post:
  • Goku, peacebeuponall, Scimitar

01-10-2016, 07:22 PM #3
Scimitar
Grand Commander
That was a good download, I browsed over it - gonna give it a whirl later.

@Peacebeuponall, have you tried IslamQA? There's 5 search pages of interest/usury related rulings

Scimi

Out beyond ideas
of wrong-doing,

and right-doing,

there is a field...

...I'll meet you there.
€

Jalaluddin Rumi
The following 3 users Like Scimitar's post:
  • Goku, Trenton, peacebeuponall

01-10-2016, 11:37 PM #4
peacebeuponall
Peasant
According to Islam Q&A "(b)   It is permissible for the issuing bank to take commission from the business on the cardholder’s purchases, so long as the business sells it for the same price as transactions for cash."

Thanks a million Trent & Scimi! It was news to me that "punishment" for dealing in usury in the Bible is exclusion from heaven or death according to Trent's download. 

That was a good download, I browsed over it - gonna give it a whirl later.

@Peacebeuponall, have you tried IslamQA? There's 5 search  pages of interest/usury related rulings

Scimi
[/quote]
The following 2 users Like peacebeuponall's post:
  • Goku, Trenton

01-14-2016, 06:19 AM #5
Chemseddine
Peasant
Abu Huraira reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “A time will come upon people when they will consume usury.” They said to him, “Is that all of the people?” The Prophet said, “Whoever does not take from it will be afflicted by its dust.”
Source: Musnad Ahmad 10191
Grade: Sahih (authentic) according to As-Suyuti and Ahmad Shakir
عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ أَنّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ يَأْتِي عَلَى النَّاسِ زَمَانٌ يَأْكُلُونَ فِيهِ الرِّبَا قَالَ قِيلَ لَهُ النَّاسُ كُلُّهُمْ قَالَ مَنْ لَمْ يَأْكُلْهُ مِنْهُمْ نَالَهُ مِنْ غُبَارِهِ
10191 مسند أحمد بن حنبل مسند العشرة المبشرين بالجنة باقي مسند المكثرين من الصحابة
المحدث السيوطي خلاصة حكم المحدث صحيح
We are living in a time where it's almost impossible to avoid it,and even if you don't take or pay it you will be afflicted by it's" dust"
The following 1 user Likes Chemseddine's post:
  • peacebeuponall