#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
"Tinseltown"

01-08-2016, 09:02 PM #1
sophiaponders
Chaplain
I never really thought about this until today.. but I was surfing around the net and came across this quote:
"Strip away the phony tinsel of Hollywood and you find the real tinsel underneath."
Which is usually attributed to Oscar Levant (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Levant)

It made me start to think.. why is one of Hollywood's nicknames 'Tinseltown'?
Just to make sure I wasn't thinking crazy, I checked the origin of Tinsel- and it is 100 percent undeniably historically correlated to Christmas at the time they started calling Hollywood 'Tinseltown'.
I'm sure they never decorated the trees on the streets of old Hollywood with tinsel except for at Christmas- so why that particular reference? They could have called it a zillion other things to do with light and reflection. But they picked a Christmas decoration.
This post was last modified: 01-08-2016, 09:18 PM by sophiaponders.

If you are interested in Palestine feel free to join my group https://www.facebook.com/groups/101464189944996/
The following 1 user Likes sophiaponders's post:
  • Thy Unveiling

01-08-2016, 09:29 PM #2
DiscoStu
Marshall
Tinsel is shiny, and shiny implies fresh and new and luxurious. You look at tinsel and get the impression you are looking at something expensive like sparkling diamonds. You look closer, though, and find it's only cheap plastic.
The following 3 users Like DiscoStu's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, cameronjcw, sophiaponders

01-08-2016, 09:34 PM #3
sophiaponders
Chaplain
(01-08-2016, 09:29 PM)DiscoStu Wrote:  Tinsel is shiny, and shiny implies fresh and new and luxurious. You look at tinsel and get the impression you are looking at something expensive like sparkling diamonds. You look closer, though, and find it's only cheap plastic.

Yeah, I get that.. but I don't think that the elite in Hollywood like to think of themselves as cheap plastic. One would think they would have picked 'goldentown' or 'diamondtown' or something. And.. it is a Christmas decoration. I just find it strange Huh
This post was last modified: 01-08-2016, 09:46 PM by sophiaponders.

If you are interested in Palestine feel free to join my group https://www.facebook.com/groups/101464189944996/
The following 1 user Likes sophiaponders's post:
  • Thy Unveiling

01-10-2016, 10:18 AM #4
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
There's always lots of tinsel to be thrown around. For months after removing the tree and thinking you've cleaned it all up, you'll still be finding it in the unlikeliest of places. Perhaps it's a reference to how they view actors and wannabe actors...

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

There's only one true judge and that's God; so chill and let Our Father do His job
The following 1 user Likes Thy Unveiling's post:
  • sophiaponders