#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Missing Time

01-07-2016, 04:09 AM #1
HongKongHoward
Marshall
On par with alien abductions, missing time is a fascinating phenomenon.

I just want to share an interesting experience that I had as a child.

On a Saturday when I was 10 (or thereabout), I had just finished doing my homework for the weekend and wanted to go outside and see if my friends wanted to play in the woods on the hill that backed onto our houses. It was a particularly sunny day outside and very temperate. I said goodbye to my parents and walked outside and 4 doors down to where my two friends lived. Their mom opened the door and when I asked her if my friends were home, she told me that they were already out in the forest with a third friend of ours who lived on the street and suggested I go find them.

As a kid I was very familiar with the layout of the forest because my friends and I would play games there everyday.

As I started climbing I heard voices coming from the top of the hill, and assuming that they were the voices of my friends ran up the hill to greet them. The weird part is when I got to the top of the hill, everything was silent. I couldn't hear the voices of my friends, the birds stopped chirping and this strange feeling of confusion and fear grabbed a hold of me. My head started spinning and I could hardly stand up, but I was afraid so I lurched off deeper into the forest thinking I could lose whatever made me so frightened. But I hadn't taken 10 steps before I realized that the forest looked completely different than I remembered and I had no idea where I was.

Panicked, I stumbled off in a random direction. I remember tripping and falling (and crying), and then nothing.

Some time later I woke up shaking on the lawn of a house. I thought it was my house since it had red bricks (and I was in shock), but then I realized that it wasn't and I was lying in a neighborhood I had never been to before. I ran up to the house and the young couple that opened the door were treated to the sight of an inconsolable 10 year old with a dripping nose. They were concerned (obviously) and they invited me in to meet their daughter (who was just small). They gave me some juice and cookies and offered their phone so I could call my dad.

My dad comes by about 20 minutes later, thanks the couple for looking after me and brings me out to the car. He was absolutely furious with me. Turns out that I had been missing for about 6 hours and it was late in evening at this point (almost night). The place where I turned up was miles away from where I lived and my dad thought that I had gotten into a strangers car and been taken.

Turns out my friends returned to the house about an hour after I left to find them and maintained that they had never seen me or heard me (though I was calling out to them as I climbed the hill) even though they had been playing in the spot that I knew they would be.

To this day I have never been able to remember what happened.

"You can find in a text whatever you bring, if you will stand between it and the mirror of your imagination. You may not see your ears, but they will be there." - Moral, by the Cat
The following 5 users Like HongKongHoward's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper, Trenton, Goku, luna

01-07-2016, 05:08 AM #2
luna
Marshall
HKH...this is simply amazing. I love reading stuff like this, really, and the way you wrote it. I could really feel how scared you must have been, how confusing the whole ordeal was. Just, wow. This is good stuff right here. Your tale is fascinating, I want to read more! I have a few of my own tbh, and I'd share, but as someone who suffered sexual abuse as a child, I'm not sure if it's psychological manifestation rather than actual missing time phenomena. Hm. That said, what do you think of your experience? I know you said you don't remember what happened, but what would your best theory be? I'm just starting to read about this myself, so I'm really curious to hear more! Well, thanks for sharing. Definitely gave me something to look into more now. MT is just the craziest thing.
This post was last modified: 01-08-2016, 01:02 AM by luna.
The following 3 users Like luna's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper, Trenton

01-07-2016, 05:27 AM #3
HongKongHoward
Marshall
(01-07-2016, 05:08 AM)luna Wrote:  HKH...this is simply amazing. I love reading stuff like this, really, and the way you wrote it. I could really feel how scared you must have been, how confusing the whole ordeal was. Just, wow. This is good stuff right here. Your tale is fascinating, I want to read more! I have a few of my own tbh, and I'd share, but as someone who suffered sexual abuse as a child, I'm not sure if it's psychological manifestation rather than actual lost time phenomena. Hm. That said, what do you think of your experience? I know you said you don't remember what happened, but what would your best theory be? I'm just starting to read about this myself, so I'm really curious to hear more! Well, thanks for sharing. Definitely gave me something to look into more now. LT is just the craziest thing.

I'm really not sure luna

The feeling I had as it was happening was like the panic of a fly that had dropped into the nest of a spider. I felt as though I had fallen into another world (like an Alice in Wonderland type of thing), and was at the mercy of whatever had entangled me. My senses had failed me and I could rely on nothing (even my home field advantage had been taken away). It felt like a betrayal of reality. I kept running and running, trying to look for something familiar and would always end up in the same unfamiliar spot. I felt "something" closing in and it clouded my mind.

I know that many people who experience lost time often hear or see things that separate them from company, and then they go missing and turn up remembering nothing (or not at all). It's a bit like the story of the Will o' Wisp. The little glowing ball of light that people claim to see floating in between the trees of swamps at night. Legend goes that people become intrigued (although 'bewitched' might be a better term) and follow the ball of light into the swamp only to drown in the mud. 

Aliens, government mind control, demons; I don't know what it was but it was sure freaky!

The only thing I can say is that although I was very terrified, nothing ended up coming of it and whatever force swept me up that day was gracious enough to dump me on the lawn of some very kind people.

I made this thread hoping people would follow suit and relate their own stories. I am pretty interested in hearing other accounts xD

Thanks for the compliment!
This post was last modified: 01-07-2016, 05:54 AM by HongKongHoward.

"You can find in a text whatever you bring, if you will stand between it and the mirror of your imagination. You may not see your ears, but they will be there." - Moral, by the Cat
The following 4 users Like HongKongHoward's post:
  • The Creeper, Trenton, Goku, luna

01-07-2016, 05:54 AM #4
luna
Marshall
I believe you, and that definitely is freaky. Freaky, but fascinating. Just unreal, and dang. Sorry you had to go through that! I can't imagine what that must have felt like! Scary stuff, this universe is such a crazy, mysterious, unpredictable thing sometimes. The secrets it holds, I doubt we'll ever know them all. Those are all interesting legends and folklore, and yes, they do correlate somehow. I am familiar with the wil-o-wisp.  I wonder if the MT thing is correlated to the alternate universe theory? This almost makes me think of the story of the soldier who teleported. Are you familiar with it? You might be.

Something else this sort of vaguely reminds me of though, is a very old Chinese legend I've heard before so I'll share that instead.

It's of a woodcutter who went out to chop wood. He was notoriously nosy, kind of a busy body, and his wife warned him: mind your own business, do not stop to talk to anyone. Well he tried, and he was pretty successful, staying on track until he got to a clearing and stopped to watch two old men play a game of chess. When noticed the men warned him to leave, but he couldn't. He was too busy instructing them which move to make, watching, advising from the sidelines. When the game finished, the men looked up surprised and upset he was still there. "We told you to leave. We warned you. Go now, it might already be too late." Confused he turned to find his ax, only to see it lying where he left it: severely rusted over and nearly unrecognizable. It had been new that morning. Bewildered and starting to feel uneasy he left for home. But his home was filled with strangers he didn't recognize. In fact his entire village was. Now legitimately scared, a town scribe came to see him. He checked the record books for any trace of a man by his name who had ever lived there before. There was one...a wood cutter who had left his village and went missing never to return again. Several hundred years ago. He protested, this has to be a joke. He had just left that morning! The scribe asked him what happened along the way, and nothing; nothing except that he had stopped to watch two old men play a game of chess. The scribe sighed, shook his head sadly. The men must have been divine beings; time doesn't pass for them as it does mortals. It was then that he remembered his wife's warning, but it was too late. He couldn't go back now.

No; no divine beings to steer us off our known mortal timeline lol, but it's still a fun story. Thanks again for sharing yours! And you're very welcome, I enjoyed the read. Very cool stuff, you always have some great posts HKH!
This post was last modified: 01-08-2016, 01:01 AM by luna.
The following 5 users Like luna's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper, Goku, Trenton, HongKongHoward

01-07-2016, 06:05 AM #5
HongKongHoward
Marshall
Have you ever seen the movie Spirited Away luna? I think you are the kind of person who would get a huge kick out of that film.

One of the best ever made in my opinion

I vaguely remember something about a soldier who ended up miles from his MO and didn't remember what happened. Clearly guns can't protect you from everything xD
This post was last modified: 01-07-2016, 06:07 AM by HongKongHoward.

The following 4 users Like HongKongHoward's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper, Trenton, Goku

01-07-2016, 08:29 AM #6
Goku
Chaplain
Thanks for sharing HKH, I had a similar experience when I was younger and I believe the reason for the time lapse, from the similarity in both our stories, is the fear/terror we felt due to not knowing and/or being lost.

My story is quite short:

I'm around 7 or 8 and it's around 2pm, I went round my Nan's after one Christmas when I had my new bike and was 'playing out' haha, I was told "Not to go too far!" as all children are told, me being me, ended up going around the area taking new turns when I saw one - eventually got lost, began panicking, feeling fear, I didn't know where I was or where my Nan's house was in relation to where I was - I started to cry. I'm now walking up the road holding my bike, a mixture of snot and tears running down my face when a lady stops and asks if I'm alright I respond with a classic "I've lost my mum" - I told her the road name and described what was in the area, she automatically knew where it was so I followed her - turns out I was only around the corner about 15-20 minutes away, walking down my road I notice  it's starting to get dark and the police are outside my Nans where they had called the police because they were scared I had been kidnapped by a stranger. By the time I got home, it was around 5pm - I honestly don't believe I was out that long. I got shouted at by everyone but mainly they was glad I was found safe and sound, they were very grateful to the lady whose name I still don't know because I forgot to ask lol.

For me it was the first time in my life I felt those feelings and I believe because of this, and also because we were young with less knowledge - we were more focused on resolving our fears than what's going on around us simply because it was new to us on an instinctual and conscious level.

I believe you may have even passed out due to anxiety or your body shutting down as a self-rectifying process or something -  I can only speculate, maybe Aliens - glad you got home safe though!

P.S. All Studio Ghibli films are worth watching, especially Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies and Howl's Moving Castle. Big Grin
This post was last modified: 01-08-2016, 12:57 PM by Goku.
The following 5 users Like Goku's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper, luna, Trenton, HongKongHoward

01-07-2016, 02:35 PM #7
HongKongHoward
Marshall
Goku I would for sure agree with you about being lost except that I had intimate knowledge of the surrounding area, and knew where I was, until I didn't. Also doesn't explain me passing out and ending up on the other side of town. I was in a familiar spot when it happened as well (the forest was big but it wasn't huge, and I had explored pretty much every leaf as a kid).

For some reason I felt very apprehensive about going to forest to find my friends even though I knew where they would be, but I continued anyways. Also according to the story of my friends we were literally standing on the same spot when this event happened, but they never saw me or heard me. I had heard their voices from the bottom of the hill but I could find no one at the top.

Also regarding your experience. When listening to accounts of lost time, people always stress that before the event happens they "feel weird" and make a choice or choices that they normally would not make; did something like that happen to sort of "lure" you away? Like an errant thought or thought pattern? It felt like a Jedi mind trick to be honest.

Apparently time flies when you're having fun xD

Thank you for knowing Grave of the Fireflies, easily my second favorite movie!
This post was last modified: 01-07-2016, 02:47 PM by HongKongHoward.

The following 5 users Like HongKongHoward's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper, Goku, luna, Trenton

01-07-2016, 05:37 PM #8
luna
Marshall
AGHHH YES I HAVE. Heart

Okay. Sorry for screaming, but that is one of my absolute all time freaking favorite movies. Howl's Moving Castle is right up there as well. SophieHatter was almost my un tbh, but then I chose Luna. I haven't seen Princess Mononoke or Graves of the Fireflies though. No spoilers pls, but are they good? I'm betting so. Off to YouTube to look for movie clips after this.

High fiving Goku and HKH right here! I love how you just knew I'd like Spirited Away ahahaha XD

Anyway, Goku is right, you could have gotten lost but I feel like wouldn't you have known? I got way lost once when I was six I think at the store and I def knew I was lost. Time did seem to go by pretty fast, and I was really panicked. But not in the sense that I felt I was losing it so to speak, I was pretty aware, or aware enough to finally get the nerve to ask a store employee to page my mom after all my tear stained wandering. Could be because it was a crowded store though and really busy as opposed to empty wooded outdoor areas. But HKH's experience def sounds to me more like twilight zone than simply being confused or misplaced for a moment lol. Hmmmm. Interesting. 

My sister once had a missing time moment I feel like though if I remember correctly. I'll need to ask for more details though before posting anything. Back soon to report later!
This post was last modified: 01-08-2016, 01:03 AM by luna.
The following 3 users Like luna's post:
  • Goku, The Creeper, HongKongHoward

01-07-2016, 06:25 PM #9
Trenton
Justiciar
(01-07-2016, 04:09 AM)HongKongHoward Wrote:  On par with alien abductions, missing time is a fascinating phenomenon.

I just want to share an interesting experience that I had as a child.

On a Saturday when I was 10 (or thereabout), I had just finished doing my homework for the weekend and wanted to go outside and see if my friends wanted to play in the woods on the hill that backed onto our houses. It was a particularly sunny day outside and very temperate. I said goodbye to my parents and walked outside and 4 doors down to where my two friends lived. Their mom opened the door and when I asked her if my friends were home, she told me that they were already out in the forest with a third friend of ours who lived on the street and suggested I go find them.

As a kid I was very familiar with the layout of the forest because my friends and I would play games there everyday.

As I started climbing I heard voices coming from the top of the hill, and assuming that they were the voices of my friends ran up the hill to greet them. The weird part is when I got to the top of the hill, everything was silent. I couldn't hear the voices of my friends, the birds stopped chirping and this strange feeling of confusion and fear grabbed a hold of me. My head started spinning and I could hardly stand up, but I was afraid so I lurched off deeper into the forest thinking I could lose whatever made me so frightened. But I hadn't taken 10 steps before I realized that the forest looked completely different than I remembered and I had no idea where I was.

Panicked, I stumbled off in a random direction. I remember tripping and falling (and crying), and then nothing.

Some time later I woke up shaking on the lawn of a house. I thought it was my house since it had red bricks (and I was in shock), but then I realized that it wasn't and I was lying in a neighborhood I had never been to before. I ran up to the house and the young couple that opened the door were treated to the sight of an inconsolable 10 year old with a dripping nose. They were concerned (obviously) and they invited me in to meet their daughter (who was just small). They gave me some juice and cookies and offered their phone so I could call my dad.

My dad comes by about 20 minutes later, thanks the couple for looking after me and brings me out to the car. He was absolutely furious with me. Turns out that I had been missing for about 6 hours and it was late in evening at this point (almost night). The place where I turned up was miles away from where I lived and my dad thought that I had gotten into a strangers car and been taken.

Turns out my friends returned to the house about an hour after I left to find them and maintained that they had never seen me or heard me (though I was calling out to them as I climbed the hill) even though they had been playing in the spot that I knew they would be.

To this day I have never been able to remember what happened.

I know you're coming in the night like a thief, but I've had some time alone, to hone my lying technique. I know you think that I'm someone you can trust, but I'm scared I'll get scared, and I swear I'll try to nail you back up. So do you think that we could work out a sign, so I'll know it's you and that it's over so I won't even try? I know you're coming for the people like me. We've all got wood and nails, turned out in a hate factory.
The following 5 users Like Trenton's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, Goku, The Creeper, luna, HongKongHoward

01-07-2016, 06:38 PM #10
Trenton
Justiciar
Not sure of the validity of this story. But here's one,

Quote:The disappearances of Mrs. Yurno

During her later years, Josephine Yurno would take a walk every evening at dusk around her beloved neighborhood in Norwich, Connecticut.

On November 12, 1935; she set out as usual and never returned. Extensive searches were conducted by a large team of volunteers and the Norwich police force but no sign of her was ever found.  

Three years later, Mrs. Yurno was found squatting in front of a neighbor’s house, without a mark on her body and in perfect health. When asked where she had been, Mrs. Yurno was unable to understand the question. From her point of view, no time had passed at all.

Against the advice of her neighbors and her doctor, she refused all medical treatment and resumed her life as if nothing had ever happened, including her nightly strolls on the beach. Another neighbor snapped this shot of her in the fall of 1938. Clouds of smoke from piles of burning leaves give it an appropriately eerie feel. On the same date in November, 1940, five years after her initial disappearance, Mrs. Yurno vanished again. This time she was never seen again. 

Source: http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Anomaly

Taken from sixpenceee @ tumblr

I know you're coming in the night like a thief, but I've had some time alone, to hone my lying technique. I know you think that I'm someone you can trust, but I'm scared I'll get scared, and I swear I'll try to nail you back up. So do you think that we could work out a sign, so I'll know it's you and that it's over so I won't even try? I know you're coming for the people like me. We've all got wood and nails, turned out in a hate factory.
The following 5 users Like Trenton's post:
  • HongKongHoward, Thy Unveiling, Goku, The Creeper, luna