#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
A butterfly flutters by

01-03-2016, 03:49 PM #1
JackTrades
Knight
A butterfly flutters by and the butterfly is me. He flies and flutters from flower to flower. And reaching a flower stopping just long enough to drink the nectar. Flies long distances to get a taste from as large a variety of tastes.
Me, i am the same. I fly from experience to experience and learning from all of them. This way my hunger for knowledge (any kind) is temporarily satisfied. 
I have been thinking lately why i have this need to know things. A desire to figure out how stuff works. Always curious. Maybe i am as a certain L. Gaga sings, born this way, but today i also figured out the external motivation that i got at an early age.

There is a much used phrase in Dutch. At least much used around me because of my name. The phrase goes; "Joost mag het weten!" Loosely translated it means Joost will know. It is used to express the fact you don't know something. This phrase was really used a lot around me when i was young, people seemed to think it a funny joke to say it and then look at me. Were they really expecting an answer? I did not know, i was only 2 or 3 or whatever.
So my guess is that at one time or another i had enough of this phrase and started to see it as a challenge. If they think i know everything, then i will become this person that knows everything.

And so the journey started. My main question became WHY. I had to figure out how everything works. My curiosity was kindled and that fire would not be put out again. Although they tried.  I love my family a lot and would do anything to help them, but unfortunately they were the first group trying to stifle this flame.
Our country's (and family's) motto (not mine) is another Dutch phrase; "Doe maar gewoon, dan doe je al gek genoeg". Act normal, then you are already acting crazy enough. This phrase is typical of Dutch nature. Not a completely stupid idea, because it gives the Dutch a healthy mistrust of authority, but unfortunately it also gives the Dutch a mistrust for the out of the ordinary. We are a conservative lot. Achievements are belittled, brought down back to earth.
My curiosity did, and still does, not fit very well with the rest of my family.
I have by now gotten used to it of course and just keep quiet about many subjects that i believe in. I know i won't be able to convince them of my point of view and i certainly do not believe in theirs.
The next attempt at smothering my ignited curiosity came when school happened. I don't know of any other institute that is so not interested in curiosity! Very strange really as we are supposed to learn and be educated over there. But society only want children to learn what they want them to know. Curious people are difficult. Being an average pupil (was not interested to do my best, did not get challenged to try), school life was mainly boring.
Ok it got me interested in more subject then i was before. I discovered history, biology, science, geography. All mighty interesting, but most of my teachers were not able to convince me of going their way.
Then i was fortunate enough to discover books. Books you can just read and then make up your own mind about it. Nobody tells me how to think about a book or how to interpret it. Reading became even more interesting when i discovered the science-fiction genre. Now here was a genre that truly knows no bounds. There is nothing it cannot write about, no subject not suitable.
To this day i love science fiction stories. They have taught me so much.

Anyway, to make a long story a lot shorter. This is how i am. Always curious, always hungry to figure out what i don't understand. It is an interesting way of living your life i must say. Not always easy but most definitely always interesting. And i don't plan to change this anytime soon. I plan to be curious all my life. An unchanging goal in my life that will guaranty an always changing life.

Pease, Curiosity and Diversity to you all

"Breathe in, Breathe out"
The following 2 users Like JackTrades's post:
  • Goku, xoa.

01-03-2016, 04:36 PM #2
Xmas3
Knight
Very cute.  Not sure how you brought a butterfly into it, but it was still poetic I guess. 

My own personal problem with wanting to know stuff all the time, is that you cannot carry it over into the next body you're born into. 

Meaning you learn and learn and learn all sorts of things, just so you can have a very valuable collection of knowledge stuffed into a brain that dies and rots away and retains none of the information. 

Or does it remember stuff in the DNA?  Perhaps.

01-03-2016, 05:21 PM #3
JackTrades
Knight
(01-03-2016, 04:36 PM)Xmas3 Wrote:  Very cute.  Not sure how you brought a butterfly into it, but it was still poetic I guess. 

My own personal problem with wanting to know stuff all the time, is that you cannot carry it over into the next body you're born into. 

Meaning you learn and learn and learn all sorts of things, just so you can have a very valuable collection of knowledge stuffed into a brain that dies and rots away and retains none of the information. 

Or does it remember stuff in the DNA?  Perhaps.
I feel i do this stuff just to keep my life interesting. If i would stop i would be sooo bored!

The following 1 user Likes JackTrades's post:
  • Goku

01-03-2016, 05:30 PM #4
Xmas3
Knight
Yep, I hear ya.  All the earth and all in it is our hobby.
The following 2 users Like Xmas3's post:
  • Goku, xoa.

01-03-2016, 08:25 PM #5
xoa.
Justiciar
Refreshing to read JackTrades! 

I love learning new things. I try and learn something new every day, be it a new word in another language or as you said, just to figure out WHY things are as they are etc. 

The world is full of things, ideas and trials waiting to be discovered. Smile

"Our lives end when we become silent about things that matter" - Martin Luther King Jr

An Arab poet said:

The vast ocean feels no harm
                  When the boy pitches into it a rock.

01-04-2016, 10:05 AM #6
JackTrades
Knight
(01-03-2016, 08:25 PM)xoa. Wrote:  Refreshing to read JackTrades! 

I love learning new things. I try and learn something new every day, be it a new word in another language or as you said, just to figure out WHY things are as they are etc. 

You are never too old to learn. I once saw an interview with this 93 year old sushi cook, and the thing I remember most about it (this guy is the best one in Tokyo) is what he said at one point: "I am still learning how to make the perfect sushi and still have lots to learn." I was blown away by that comment (heard it 25 odd years ago). Living proof you are never too old to learn!

• Goku

01-04-2016, 08:01 PM #7
Xmas3
Knight
(01-04-2016, 10:05 AM)JackTrades Wrote:  

You are never too old to learn. I once saw an interview with this 93 year old sushi cook, and the thing I remember most about it (this guy is the best one in Tokyo) is what he said at one point: "I am still learning how to make the perfect sushi and still have lots to learn." I was blown away by that comment (heard it 25 odd years ago). Living proof you are never too old to learn!

That's all well and good but what does 93 year old sushi taste like???

[url=//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/][/url]

01-06-2016, 12:43 PM #8
JackTrades
Knight
(01-04-2016, 08:01 PM)Xmas3 Wrote:  
(01-04-2016, 10:05 AM)JackTrades Wrote:  

That's all well and good but what does 93 year old sushi taste like???

[url=//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/][/url]
Would not know because I don't eat fish myself! Big Grin

• Xmas3