#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Open Carry Legal in Texas Jan 1st.

12-31-2015, 12:56 AM #1
FlixKandish
Chaplain
What do yall think about open carry of a firearm becoming legal in Texas here on Friday? 

A lot of businesses in my city are opting out, but the biggest grocer chain isn't. It's becoming kind of a thing online right now tho we will have to wait till the law goes into affect to see what the real drawbacks are.

Personally I think it's a bad idea and reminiscent of the wild west. What about you?
The following 6 users Like FlixKandish's post:
  • sophiaponders, Riddler, Thy Unveiling, Loki, Trenton, Goku

12-31-2015, 09:08 AM #2
Goku
Chaplain
(12-31-2015, 12:56 AM)FlixKandish Wrote:  What do yall think about open carry of a firearm becoming legal in Texas here on Friday? 

A lot of businesses in my city are opting out, but the biggest grocer chain isn't. It's becoming kind of a thing online right now tho we will have to wait till the law goes into affect to see what the real drawbacks are.

Personally I think it's a bad idea and reminiscent of the wild west. What about you?

Bad idea.

Having a gun in the open provokes the use of it more times than not, I'd assume there probably will be an increase in gun crimes/incidents within your state.

As you said, it's reminiscent of the Wild West when you had the outlaws and cowboys.
The following 7 users Like Goku's post:
  • sophiaponders, Tarikko, Thy Unveiling, Loki, FlixKandish, Trenton, Sidhuriel

12-31-2015, 09:45 AM #3
mrgrimm
Marshall
Some states already have open carry, Kentucky for example is one of those states. I would like to see some research proving that Kentucky shooting rates are higher than any other non-open carry state. Come take a walk through my city and you will see it does not resemble the "wild west" at all.
The following 7 users Like mrgrimm's post:
  • Kme0601, Claire Rousseau, umphreak, Kung Fu, Thy Unveiling, The Creeper, Trenton

12-31-2015, 09:49 AM #4
Scimitar
Grand Commander
Bad idea, gung ho policies like this seek to show the world how advanced the Americans are whils ironically looking like they live in times 200 years past... like, yeah, uber fail for the USA lol.

Stick it to the man.

Scimi

Out beyond ideas
of wrong-doing,

and right-doing,

there is a field...

...I'll meet you there.
€

Jalaluddin Rumi
The following 7 users Like Scimitar's post:
  • sophiaponders, Tarikko, Thy Unveiling, xoa., The Creeper, Trenton, Goku

12-31-2015, 09:56 AM #5
Loki
Chaplain
There is a chance it doesn't change much, I imagine most Texans were already carrying concealed. The only time I see it becoming an issue is if there is a new bad cop shooting in Texas of a young unarmed black male and the race tensions spike while both black and white citizens are carrying guns around in the open. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Actually, and I just thought about this, I'm kind of worried about how the cops in some of those counties will respond to young black men who are open carrying. That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen all by itself.

“Life is neither good or evil, but only a place for good and evil.”
Marcus Aurelius

"In my opinion, there is a more scientific approach we can take to all hot-button issues. We do this when we stop demonizing the opposing viewpoints or victimizing ourselves, and we acknowledge and account for our own biases and emotions to the best of our ability."
--- Elliott C. Morgan
The following 8 users Like Loki's post:
  • Tarikko, Thy Unveiling, The Creeper, xoa., FlixKandish, Trenton, Scimitar, Goku

12-31-2015, 03:47 PM #6
Lisa
Chaplain
(12-31-2015, 12:56 AM)FlixKandish Wrote:  Personally I think it's a bad idea and reminiscent of the wild west. What about you?

So you think more people will be shooting each other because the firearms aren't concealed anymore?

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.  1John 4:1

Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8
The following 2 users Like Lisa's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper

12-31-2015, 04:01 PM #7
The Creeper
Chaplain
I thought everyone in Texas already just walked around toting guns. They don't already just walk around with all their guns out? You learn something new everyday.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool – William Shakespear
The following 2 users Like The Creeper's post:
  • Tarikko, Thy Unveiling

12-31-2015, 05:31 PM #8
spaides
Knight
(12-31-2015, 12:56 AM)FlixKandish Wrote:  What do yall think about open carry of a firearm becoming legal in Texas here on Friday? 

I think so that a few nutcases misuse them and they can hype them star anti gun hysteria and create the required atmosphere to disarm everyone.
The following 2 users Like spaides's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper

12-31-2015, 09:37 PM #9
That1kid
Marshall
There will be fools that decide to brag about their weapons and may even threaten each other but I ultimately think if you're going to threaten someone with a gun, it'll be really foolish. The other person has a gun on them too, why threaten them? Not everyone has a gun but revealing their weapons in the open, will make them think twice before doing something stupid. I think it's good that Texas has open carry weapons.

Matthew 6:34
"Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is it's own trouble."
The following 5 users Like That1kid's post:
  • Kme0601, Claire Rousseau, MissMiami, Thy Unveiling, The Creeper

01-01-2016, 08:23 AM #10
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
Many years ago I was quite close with someone in North Carolina, and he told me they were allowed to carry guns so long as they were visible. I thought that was freakin' strange. He explained that people walking around with their gun visible (at least in NC) aren't looking to use it on anyone. They aren't going to pull a robbery or anything like that. He said that gun violence and crime was actually quite low where he lived, and anyone looking to misuse a gun usually keeps it concealed.

I still don't understand why anyone feels the need to carry a gun everywhere. Especially if they're not planning to use it. If I was walking around with a gun and everyone else is too, just wtf are you "protecting" yourself from?

Loki brings up a good point about racial profiling. Flix or any other Texan can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been led to believe that Texas is a very racist (and homophobic) state. If that's the actual case, then yeah anyone with skin that isn't on the pale side really should avoid carrying a gun.

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

There's only one true judge and that's God; so chill and let Our Father do His job
The following 1 user Likes Thy Unveiling's post:
  • The Creeper