12-24-2015, 07:16 AM #1
spaides
Knight
Videos 

Articles -  

Sports is a Corporate Circus   

Sports greatest hypnotic distraction

Sports a weapon of Mass Distraction
This post was last modified: 12-24-2015, 07:18 AM by spaides.
The following 7 users Like spaides's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, Isaiah53, Allegedly, Tarikko, Kung Fu, Foggy D., The Creeper

12-26-2015, 08:27 AM #2
spaides
Knight
Aldous Huxley. Bread and Circus technique - 

The following 3 users Like spaides's post:
  • Isaiah53, Allegedly, Tarikko

12-26-2015, 10:05 AM #3
mrgrimm
Marshall
I admit (being an athlete myself) that watching a physically gifted and talented person play their sport is pretty cool - but seems that a lot of people are just downright obsessed with the college and professional teams and players and cancel all plans to dedicate to watching the sporting event.

Professional sports is a huge waste of energy/resources/intellectual ability. It also supports the major corporations that are destroying the planet.

Think about all the sports casters that are fluent and present themselves well but all they do is ramble on about field goals home runs and touchdowns all day...pathetic.
The following 3 users Like mrgrimm's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, Allegedly, Tarikko

12-26-2015, 10:40 AM #4
xoa.
Justiciar
Tbh, isn't every form of entertainment like TV etc a tool of mass distraction?

I love watching sports but I wouldn't allow myself to get obsessed to the stage of no return. 

You gotta have self control.   Cool

"Our lives end when we become silent about things that matter" - Martin Luther King Jr

An Arab poet said:

The vast ocean feels no harm
                  When the boy pitches into it a rock.
The following 4 users Like xoa.'s post:
  • Jlinxsky, Thy Unveiling, Allegedly, Tarikko

12-26-2015, 12:27 PM #5
Kung Fu
Chaplain
It's not only a tool for distraction but it also gets you to think a certain a way and feel a certain way. It creates this kind of tribal mind like thinking and a "us" verses "them" mentality.

Prophet Muhammad (SallAllahu alaihi wasalam) said:

"My similitude and that of the life of this world is that of a traveler who took a rest at mid-day under a shade of a tree and then left it."       (Ahmad, at-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah and al-Hakim)

The following 4 users Like Kung Fu's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, Allegedly, Tarikko, The Creeper

12-28-2015, 11:56 AM #6
Allegedly
Marshall
Yes, sports is a tool for distraction and control. There is nothing wrong with watching a game for R&R, but when you become a fan(atical) about it then you have lost control. The world would be a lot different if groups of people got together for a few hours each week to talk politics, news, issues and such then continued the conversation all week through forums. Instead we have groups getting together to watch/talk games then continue talking trivial nonsense all week through forums. Useless eaters.
The following 1 user Likes Allegedly's post:
  • Thy Unveiling

12-29-2015, 04:33 AM #7
Briandao
Chaplain
(12-28-2015, 11:56 AM)Allegedly Wrote:  Yes, sports is a tool for distraction and control. There is nothing wrong with watching a game for R&R, but when you become a fan(atical) about it then you have lost control. The world would be a lot different if groups of people got together for a few hours each week to talk politics, news, issues and such then continued the conversation all week through forums. Instead we have groups getting together to watch/talk games then continue talking trivial nonsense all week through forums. Useless eaters.

I'm a big fan of football, especially my team Helsingborg. It hasn't stopped me from engaging in the kinds of things that VC is all about.

Oh, btw. Politics is just a show. Don't see the point of wasting time on that either.

And no disrespect to all you religious people, but is there anything that divides people more than religion on a world-wide scale?
This post was last modified: 12-29-2015, 07:13 AM by Briandao.

"I ain't 'tryina' preach, I believe I can reach but your mind ain't prepared, I see you when you get there" - Coolio
The following 3 users Like Briandao's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, Goku, Serendipity

12-29-2015, 10:43 AM #8
truthordare
Marshall
I became fanatical about soccer as a kind of release from my flat Earth beliefs
The following 3 users Like truthordare's post:
  • Tarikko, Goku, Trenton

12-29-2015, 06:17 PM #9
All Creation
Marshall
I too like to watch sports, and being from the New York area, it is the Mets (baseball), Jets (American football), Islanders (hockey), and Knicks (basketball) for me. I usually just watch parts of games, if at all, and rarely commit to watching an entire game, though I do check the scores afterwards. It is good to have some kind of entertainment, rather than working or being bored all the time, as long as no one, human or animal, is forced into it against their will. But I do realize how people can become obsessed with it and make it the prime focus of their lives, and I have sometimes started falling into that state myself, so I can also see how it can be a distraction from other issues. I have seen how people get raucous, even to the point of rioting, when their team wins or getting all bent out of shape when their team loses, like with soccer (or football as it is called outside the US and Canada) hooligans in Europe. In fact, I remember a story in the local news back in 2007 where a man went ballistic and beat his mother to death because the Mets lost a game! I was absolutely shocked at that. Now I do not like when my teams lose either, and can feel frustration and annoyance for a while, but I am not going to go all crazy and beat people up over it. Some people really do need to get some control over themselves.
The following 1 user Likes All Creation's post:
  • Thy Unveiling

01-02-2016, 05:44 AM #10
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
I always found sports boring and pointless. Watching them. Playing them. I was always like "Why?" But everyone else seems to like them, so this always alienated me even more from the crowd. I was quite glad that in grade 7/8 I had a friend just as disinterested...and the gym teacher gave up on forcing us two to participate. That was pretty awesome! Though we were interested when they were having us wrestle...until we found out they weren't going to let us girls wrestle the boys. Dang! Where's the fun in that?

But yeah. Sports fanatics. Effing insanity!

I will say Super Bowl parties sound like a good place to get your eat on. If I liked meat, I'd probably love to be invited to one. But most sports nuts seem love their meat and beer. Neither of which I consume. Beer tastes gross.

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

There's only one true judge and that's God; so chill and let Our Father do His job