#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums

The Percocet Peddling Puppets

12-20-2015, 12:04 AM #1
Hello everyone! This is my first post and the reason I decided to join this community in the first place. My partner and I have been discussing this phenomena the past few days, and I realized I needed to explore this idea further, with likeminded individuals. Hope this is informative and thought-provoking, and I do apologize for the length! 

Within the past few years, the prescription opiate Percocet has been referenced in popular songs, mostly by African American hip hop and rap musicians. Most famously, Nicki Minaj referenced the drug in “No Flex Zone (Remix)” in which she raps “pop a perc now I'm on lift off.” In another song titled “Want Some More,” Minaj states “I popped a Perc and I said thank you.” 

Minaj is not the only popular hip hop artist to glamorize the casual recreational use of Percocet. Below, I list the songs I’ve discovered that include at least one reference to the drug:

“Digital Dash” (2015) by Future and Drake: 
“In the driveway on a perc I was sideways on a perc”

“Jump Out the Face” (2015) by Meek Mill featuring Future:
“I just took a perc now I'm on another level”
(Note that this is the very first line of the song) 

“This Side” (2014) by ASAP Ferg featuring YG:
“And I just pop me a perc”

“Groupies” (2015) by Future
“I pop me a perc, it's a movie”

“Amazing” (2015) by Young Thug featuring Jacques 
“How many times have I popped a perc pill?”

“The Middle Finger” (2015) by Wale
“Pop a perc, I could merk through the pain though”

“Fuck Nigga” (2014) by Waka Flocka Flame
“We got that Perc we got that Xanax we got-gotta smoke”

“Str8 Like That” (2015) by Meek Mill featuring 2 Chainz 
“Y'all niggas smoking on dirt, I'm on probation poppin on Perc”

Artists like Future, Drake, 2 Chainz, and Waka Flocka Flame are very much part of the current hip hop zeitgeist. It may even be argued that Drake is the most popular hip hop artist right now, so his involvement with a song is certainly carefully considered by himself and his management, which made a joint decision that a song with a reference to Percocet is not only acceptable, but profitable. 

This is interesting considering the current epidemic of opiate abuse in the United States. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) which is under the National Institute of Health, around 2.1 million Americans were addicted to prescription opioids in 2012. Obviously, the number of people afflicted with addiction to opioids/opiates is significantly higher than this. The US government does not wish to instill fear in its citizens (unless of course it’s convenient for them) and has good reason to publish statistics not reflected by reality. Ultimately, the government makes a lot of money from addiction to prescription painkillers because it makes Big Pharma money. What makes Big Pharma happy makes Big Brother happy! Regardless, the admitted statistics are startling enough as is. America has a huge problem with prescription opioid addiction, and in many areas of the country (for instance, Appalachia) the problem is only worsening. 

So why are so many hip hop and rap artists promoting the use of this addictive, destructive substance? I have two theories as to why that I would like to share with you:

1. The primary abusers of prescription opioids are white Americans. As previously mentioned, the Appalachian region of the United States is particularly stricken with the addiction to and abuse of prescription opioids (as well as the nearly inevitable descent into street heroin addiction). Places like Kentucky, Tennessee, and West Virginia are rife with poverty, and where there’s poverty, there’s a profit to be made. Poor, unhealthy, depressed, and trapped in rural towns with nowhere to go and nothing to do, many resort to abusing prescription opioids in order to cope with the pain and boredom of their lives. 

This is great news for Big Pharma, which has made it their mission to get as many Americans hooked on as many pills as possible. The abuse potential of opioids is not a coincidence, it’s the reason they were manufactured and distributed in the first place. Unfortunately for Big Pharma, they have not been able to tap into every market…yet. That’s where African American musicians who have mass appeal (who doesn’t listen to Drake?) come in. These musicians have great influence over the African American community, who are brainwashed into believing that there is camaraderie and shared culture between them and bourgeoise puppets like Nicki Minaj. 

Repeatedly referencing Percocet is sending the message that the drug is a common and glamorous part of African American culture, youth culture, and the world of entertainment. What goes on in Hollywood is perceived by the masses as ‘cool’ and something worth emulating. What sort of impact will desensitizing an extremely addictive drug like Percocet have on a society which is already experiencing immeasurable harm from opioid abuse?

2. Unlike some psychedelic substances such as LSD, DMT, mescaline, and peyote which tend to “expand the mind” and cause the user to question the reality they’ve been taught, opioids merely numb the mind and the body, causing the user to “nod out” and become consumed by the drug, rather than being a consumer of it. Psychedelic substances are by and large, nearly impossible to become addicted to and have very little addictive potential (if any, it is still controversial in the scientific community as to whether one may be “addicted” to a psychedelic). While psychedelics are not without harm, comparatively they are much safer than opioids. Yet, they are not referenced in mainstream pop, hip hop, and rap music. 

Yes, the 60s and 70s brought about a plethora of music exploring the experiences of psychedelics, but that was then and this is now, and psychedelics rarely if ever make a positive appearance in the media, and you won’t catch Katy Perry out and about with “DMT: The Spirit Molecule” in her hand. Psychedelics aren’t referenced because they aren’t produced by Big Pharma. The bourgeoisie doesn’t stand to make a profit off the promotion of these substances. While LSD takes some considerable skill to make, the other substances are found right in nature. The relationship between psychedelics and humans is much more organic than that of opioids. Nature doesn’t stand to make a profit off your once a year shroom trip, but a whole lot of people have a whole lot to gain if you develop an addiction to a prescription pill that they manufacture. This isn’t innocent drug exploration by youth and curious minds, this is deliberate propaganda aimed at numbing the hearts and minds of an already numb population, and taking every cent that they can along the way. 

Addiction deprives individuals, families, and communities of emotional labor, economic resources, and the stability needed to have a healthy, fulfilling, and happy life. This serves Big Brother well. What else do those on top fantasize about than a dumbed down, numbed out mass of worker bees, struggling to support whatever pill habit they happen to have? If you or a loved one is consumed by addiction and where to get the money and resources necessary to support that addiction, will they have the time and energy to invest in anything else? 

On an end note, I would like to add that “Molly” is also being referenced a lot in mainstream music. While pure MDMA is relatively safe and may even offer psychotherapeutic benefits, the “MDMA” bought on the street is almost never pure (and often has little to no MDMA in it) and is quite dangerous, especially for those who mix it with alcohol and other drugs. Once again, a dangerous drug is being peddled by the media, and once again safer substances are ignored or demonized, such as LSD. 
The following 4 users Like lakshmi's post:
  • SunshineMama, Foggy D., cameronjcw, Trenton