#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Hannibal Season II [SPOILERS]

05-28-2015, 10:38 AM #1
RiderOfKarma
Marshall
I think the creator of this show (who also made another one of my faves Wonderfalls) might be a VC fan! He definitely has read about MKULTRA and its techniques. The second season hinges on the fact that (pre-arrest and still practicing) Psychiatrist Hannibal Lecter has taken his friend and patient, FBI consultant on serial killers Will Graham, under his control and used him as a scapegoat for his own cannibal killing spree.

Protagonist Will Graham behind the antlers of the stag, a symbol for seeing the world through the will of his handler Hannibal.

For those who don't follow the show, I recommend sticking it out through the first season to get to the awesome MKUltra motifs in the second. If you're here you're familliar w/the whole method by now so I won't go into the history.  (Best clip I could find is a fan video to NIN, so feel free to mute if you're not a fan):

Here we have a direct storyline of psychiatrist using drugs, torture, and strobe lights (which allude to electric shock therapy) to create mind controlled killers. Also the familiar pain/comfort relationship the victim has with their abusive handler.

Ostensibly, Hannibal is a character representing a the worst parts of our society. Much like the zombies in media represent social ills that need addressing (but we feel helpless to do so). First racism in the 60's, and now the dread that comes with the economic gutting of our society and the feeling of doom generated by climate change that we are walking, zombie-like, through and towards an eventual break down of society where hordes of people will riot and then turn on eachother. He is a very wealthy man, a pillar of the arts and charity community, and a doctor no less. He is trusted by his patients, and afforded respect by our institutions... But he is going to eat us alive.

There is something delightful about watching Hannibal subvert the palates wealthy self-styled foodies and wine snobs with proteins harvested from human victims. As if to say I know what you all are better than you yourselves would care to admit. Class Warfare Cannibals greedily gobbling up the lives of unpeople that don't really matter.

This mirrors our current predicament, where the laws don't apply to the rich. Indeed they can run massive child sex slave rings, sometimes with and still always shielded by the police themselves. We just saw another huge case of this in the UK. We've seen it in the Vatican. It seems that wherever there's massive wealth and power, there's also child abuse. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/20...er-up.html

Swearing on a bible in front of a flag, a double symbol of how the powerful ruling class drape themselves in symbols of good only to pervert them. And how they can easily turn them on us as punishment for disobedience.

Not only are they immune from prosecution, our economic and judicial cannibals in the 1% are devouring our lives, cannibalizing our wages and the  expecting accolades and respect for how enlightened they are.

The stag imagery is so strong this season too. It appears very heavily in the protagonists hallucinations created by Dr. Lecter. What does it mean? There is some hint that it was really Will all along, as he and the straight up animal version lay looking at eachother bleeding out.

Aww stag...

But I don't think so. He was clearly having these only after Hannibal began 'treating' him. To me this means he can't seperate himself from the image Hannibal has chosen to project on him. So what does the stag symbolize?

My wild guess is that Hannibal is one of the surviving lebensborn:

Quote:"Nazi Germany appropriated many pre-Roman European symbols, such as runic symbols, in an attempt to glorify an idealized "Aryan/Norse" heritage. One of these was the so-called "life rune" (from the German Lebensrune), also known as the Elhaz or Algis rune. Elhaz means "elk" and in early Europe this symbol had meanings related to stags or hunting, as well as honor, nobility, or protection. The Nazis used the symbol in various contexts, including the SS's Lebensborn project, which encouraged SS troopers to have children out of wedlock with "Aryan" mothers and which kidnapped children of Aryan appearance from the countries of occupied Europe to raise as Germans."
http://www.adl.org/combating-hate/hate-o...-rune.html

Again we see the link to nobility, the ruling class, so I think its a shoe that fits. Since the show takes place in 2014 this doesnt really jive w/hannibals age (though it would in the time of the orignal books/films). What else could it be? I think in some way Hannibal is a relic of those programs, perhaps a son of a Nazi scientist brought over in Operation Paperclip and used in MKULTRA?

Here's one where he seems to be a mockery of Shiva, the destroyer. A little on the nose, but neat looking anyways.

Another interesting symbol is the messed up clock Will draws thinking he's doing so normally. This is caused by a form of brain fever Hannibal causes with a cocktail of medications.

Repeatedly, Will is asked to draw the current time on the face of a clock. He sees himself as drawing normally.

The result however, is obviously off.
Hannibal has successfully seperated his patient from reality, and gained control without his knowledge.

This brings images of Alice in Wonderland to mind, as do some of the more comical presentations of the Hannibal Stag in a suit and tie. The effect, as some fan art here has picked up on as well, is paired with the clock. To me this is a play on the white rabbit, with the antlers of Hannibal as rabbit ears.

Overall, I think most VC readers would get a kick out of this show. Its fascinating to see MKULTRA go mainstream on NBC, I remember the days not too long ago when talking about it got you slapped with the vapid conspiracy theorist label.

So did you see the show? What do you think the stag symbolizes?
This post was last modified: 05-29-2015, 05:03 PM by RiderOfKarma.

05-28-2015, 12:11 PM #2
RiderOfKarma
Marshall

Also, Season 3 is starting very soon, but there's still time to catch up!