#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
I need some answers about Islam

12-08-2015, 06:28 AM #1
Mockingjay
Knight
Hey guys/girls;

On one hand I'm quite happy to have found a religion that seems to have a logical system that makes sense to me; the trinity of Christianity was always confusing for me and eternal hellfire made no sense to me either.

Apparently; Islam is pure monotheism and the Hellfire is only a temporary punishment for most wrongdoers. So far so good for me. Buuut; I stiltl have some questions.

I have talked to a lot of Muslims ; and they seem to agree that the people of the Book (Jews; Christians etc) will not enter Heaven if they believed in Jesus as a saviour. However; the Muslims on this forum tell me that true Christians will go to heaven too. Which is it?

How about all the rules I've read about in Islam? Yesterday I read that basically everyone who believes there is only One  God is a Muslim according to Islam; so that would count me in. However; if I read about practising Islam I get so much information that if you don't pray 5 times a day you're not a Muslim. If you're a woman you're not allowed to marry a non Muslim. If you're a woman you must wear a headscarf. Etc etc. Things I struggle with. 

Is this just a conservative view; or real Islam? All people I spoke to seem to think that the more rules you follow; the more Islamic you are. This always irked me as petty; as what is between me and God should be personal and how I interpret his dialogue with me should not be restricted. 

I have declared that I believe in One God yesterday because I am certain and sincere about that; but I can't deny I am still confused about how I would give that a place in my life.

Please tell me about your beliefs and how you implement them.
The following 5 users Like Mockingjay's post:
  • The Creeper, Scimitar, Tarikko, erucysae, shahah25

12-08-2015, 07:12 AM #2
shahah25
Squire
Salam

Good important questions!!

Quote:I have talked to a lot of Muslims ; and they seem to agree that the people of the Book (Jews; Christians etc) will not enter Heaven if they believed in Jesus as a saviour. However; the Muslims on this forum tell me that true Christians will go to heaven too. Which is it?

Well, certainly there is judgement day before going to heaven or hell, and God ask people what they have done with their lives. A good news is that it is not equal but it is just  and the judging is based on opportunities .

It means if you had more opportunities to become a good person and don't use it well, you will punish more.
Another example is If you borned as a pagan in a far island with no communication with outside, then it won't be asked why you didn't became a Muslim or believed in god. only your actions toward other people will be important. Allah won't ask us more than our potency.
So because I borned as Muslim and learned many thing years ago and you became Muslim yesterday, I have more Responsibilities than you have.  More knowledge brings more responsibility. Because when you know more truth you must act better.
It is like school. No one ask a first grade to answer the fifth grade questions. but if a fifth grade can't answer them, then he/she has a problem.

more answers in next post.
This post was last modified: 12-08-2015, 07:16 AM by shahah25.
The following 6 users Like shahah25's post:
  • The Creeper, Trenton, Scimitar, erucysae, Mockingjay, Tarikko

12-08-2015, 07:18 AM #3
erucysae
Justiciar
Salaam Mockingjay Smile

In the Name of God, the Lord of Mercy, the Giver of Mercy.

Great questions with great answers Insha'Allah.
I just wanted to talk about the Shahada.

When you take your Shahada, the declaration of faith, it isn't only declaring your belief in the One God, it is also the acceptance of Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) as God's prophet, the last prophet.
In depth you are declaring the acceptance of the lineage of prophets before him, and also declaring the belief in all of His Books (Torah, Gospel, Zabur (Psalms of David)), so not just the Qur'an. These revelations were sent to the different prophets in accordance to their specific time on earth. The Qur'an is the LAST testimony of God so it applies to all mankind from the time of revelation until the Day of Judgement.
So by this you're also declaring the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (may peace and blessings be upon him).
These are the verbally transmitted record of his teachings, permissions, disapprovals, sayings, deeds etc. And we must follow these (to the best of our ability) as a true guide and way of life of attaining God's Mercy in the strive for His Paradise. It IS the prescribed way of life. And there is pure wisdom behind it all. God wants the best for us and not the worst.
We are living in a period of time where it is much, much harder. So many distractions and illusions, and Satan will stop at nothing. So these prescribed rules, in light of God's magnitudinal knowledge of mankind throughout the whole existence of time, are for the betterment of our eternal souls.
The hijab, the prayers, even though He knows you to your core, these are tools to attain the best, because you will be judged on every single thing. Do not go against His laws. Believe that He wants the best for you.
So strive hard, for we cannot underestimate the weight of these efforts and deeds on the Scales at the End.

“Surely! Allah wrongs not even of the weight of an atom (or a small ant), but if there is any good (done), He doubles it, and gives from Him a great reward.”
[an-Nisa 4:40]

I'm sure our brothers and sisters will answer your specific questions thorough, insha'Allah.

~Eru x

By the time, verily, man is in loss.

RIDDLER, GO AWAY LOL

~LV
The following 5 users Like erucysae's post:
  • The Creeper, Scimitar, shahah25, Tarikko, Mockingjay

12-08-2015, 07:18 AM #4
Mockingjay
Knight
(12-08-2015, 07:12 AM)shahah25 Wrote:  Salam

Good important questions!!

Quote:I have talked to a lot of Muslims ; and they seem to agree that the people of the Book (Jews; Christians etc) will not enter Heaven if they believed in Jesus as a saviour. However; the Muslims on this forum tell me that true Christians will go to heaven too. Which is it?

Well, certainly there is judgement day before going to heaven or hell, and God ask people what they have done with their lives. A good news is that it is not equal but it is just  and the judging is based on opportunities .

It means if you had more opportunities to become a good person and don't use it well, you will punish more.
Another example is If you borned as a pagan in a far island with no communication with outside, then it won't be asked why you didn't became a Muslim or believed in god. only your actions toward other people will be important. Allah won't ask us more than our potency.
So because I borned as Muslim and learned many thing years ago and you became Muslim yesterday, I have more Responsibilities than you have.  More knowledge brings more responsibility. Because when you know more truth you must act better.
It is like school. No one ask a first grade to answer the fifth grade questions. but if a fifth grade can't answer them, then he/she has a problem.

more answers in next post.

This sounds really fair and logical; is there any Islamic scripture that backs this up?
The following 4 users Like Mockingjay's post:
  • The Creeper, Scimitar, shahah25, Tarikko

12-08-2015, 07:26 AM #5
Mockingjay
Knight
(12-08-2015, 07:18 AM)erucysae Wrote:  Salaam Mockingjay Smile

In the Name of God, the Lord of Mercy, the Giver of Mercy.

Great questions with great answers Insha'Allah.
I just wanted to talk about the Shahada.

When you take your Shahada, the declaration of faith, it isn't only declaring your belief in the One God, it is also the acceptance of Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) as God's prophet, the last prophet.
In depth you are declaring the acceptance of the lineage of prophets before him, and also declaring the belief in all of His Books (Torah, Gospel, Zabur (Psalms of David)), so not just the Qur'an. These revelations were sent to the different prophets in accordance to their specific time on earth. The Qur'an is the LAST testimony of God so it applies to all mankind from the time of revelation until the Day of Judgement.
Hmm; I wonder if I truly did Shahada yesterday then; because I declared God to be one and was convinced about that. I also am convinced that Muhammad was one of his messengers. I took litterally that that is all you are declaring; but this seems to be much more. I guess I should read and know about Islam further before I can truly declare myself a Muslim by this standard Undecided  I just thought reading from other's posts that believing in One God was enough.

So by this you're also declaring the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (may peace and blessings be upon him.
These are the verbally transmitted record of his teachings, permissions, disapprovals, sayings, deeds etc. And we must follow these (to the best of our ability) as a true guide and way of life of attaining God's Mercy in the strive for His Paradise. It IS the prescribed way of life. And there is pure wisdom behind it all. God wants the best for us and not the worst.
The Sunnah are the books about Muhammad's way of life right? And the rules specified therein are what a Muslim should follow right? Is practicing the Sunnah required to call yourself a Muslim?

The hijab, the prayers, even though He knows you to your core, these are tools to attain the best, because you will be judged on every single thing. Do not go against His laws. Believe that He wants the best for you.
So strive hard, for we cannot underestimate the weight of these efforts and deeds on the Scales at the End.
But are these laws; or recommendations? That is unclear to me; on one hand I am told that all you need to be a Muslim is belief in what the Shahada entails; but when I delve deeper people tell me what you are saying here; that everything in the Sunnah is a law too. And that scares me because I see how far it is removed from me.

“Surely! Allah wrongs not even of the weight of an atom (or a small ant), but if there is any good (done), He doubles it, and gives from Him a great reward.”
[an-Nisa 4:40]
That is a beautiful verse Heart

I'm sure our brothers and sisters will answer your specific questions thorough, insha'Allah.

~Eru x
  • The Creeper, Scimitar, shahah25, erucysae

12-08-2015, 07:40 AM #6
Tarikko
Chaplain
Assalam Jay,

I just went home for lunch and going back to the office soon... I'll reply to your queries once I'm back God willing

“The lies (Western slander) which well-meaning zeal has heaped round this man (Muhammad) are disgraceful to ourselves only.”

― Thomas Carlyle, On Heroes, Hero Worship and the Heroic in History

The following 4 users Like Tarikko's post:
  • The Creeper, Scimitar, Mockingjay, shahah25

12-08-2015, 07:49 AM #7
erucysae
Justiciar
I understand what you're saying, I'm going to ask Tarikko to answer these for you on behalf of me for he will give you an indepth explanation, if he doesn't mind that is lol. He might aswell cover it in one post rather than a back and forth between all of us. Insha'Allah Smile

Remember the first word that was revealed to prophet Muhammad was IQRA- Read. Seek knowledge. Always.

~Eru x

By the time, verily, man is in loss.

RIDDLER, GO AWAY LOL

~LV
The following 5 users Like erucysae's post:
  • The Creeper, shahah25, Scimitar, Tarikko, Mockingjay

12-08-2015, 08:09 AM #8
shahah25
Squire
Quote:How about all the rules I've read about in Islam? Yesterday I read that basically everyone who believes there is only One  God is a Muslim according to Islam; so that would count me in. However; if I read about practising Islam I get so much information that if you don't pray 5 times a day you're not a Muslim. If you're a woman you're not allowed to marry a non Muslim. If you're a woman you must wear a headscarf. Etc etc. Things I struggle with.

It took 23 years for our prophet (pbuh) to teach Islam completely. So you don't have to start all the practices at once.
Concepts of Islam are two parts  (based on  Twelver Shias that I am one, but not very different from Sunnies view)
you can read it from here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Pillars_of_Islam (you can see that the difference is more in categorizing)

I said in another post that when you do good deeds you have done more than half. So for beginning I suggest try to be kinder person. Help more, smile more etc.
Meanwhile study more about Islam. when you learned a concept completely , it is time for start it's practices. And I suggest start with salat (prayer) It gives you a wonderful peace, relaxation, tranquility or thing like this. we call it in Islam saqinah. It is like you are under protection of a powerful person and nothing can hurt you.
Hijab is a hard ,
The following 1 user Likes shahah25's post:
  • Scimitar

12-08-2015, 08:12 AM #9
Mockingjay
Knight
(12-08-2015, 07:59 AM)shahah25 Wrote:  
Quote:How about all the rules I've read about in Islam? Yesterday I read that basically everyone who believes there is only One  God is a Muslim according to Islam; so that would count me in. However; if I read about practising Islam I get so much information that if you don't pray 5 times a day you're not a Muslim. If you're a woman you're not allowed to marry a non Muslim. If you're a woman you must wear a headscarf. Etc etc. Things I struggle with.

It took 23 years for our prophet (pbuh) to teach Islam completely. So you don't have to start all the practices at once.
Concepts of Islam are two parts  (based on  Twelver Shias that I am one, but not very different from Sunnies view)
you can read it from here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Pillars_of_Islam (you can see that the difference is more in categorizing)

I said in another post that when you do good deeds you have done more than half. So for beginning try to be kinder person. Help more,

Thank you this sounds very good to me and reasonable Big Grin
This post was last modified: 02-04-2016, 06:51 AM by Mockingjay.
  • The Creeper, shahah25, Scimitar, Tarikko

12-08-2015, 08:30 AM #10
Scimitar
Grand Commander
Exempt.

One only pays the zakaat, if they have assets worth over a certain amount. The zakaat is based on the total worth of the assets - 2.5% of that worth is calculated as zakaat.

If you are under the earnings threshold, are poor, etc - you do not pay zakaat.

But you can receive it.

Scimi

Out beyond ideas
of wrong-doing,

and right-doing,

there is a field...

...I'll meet you there.
€

Jalaluddin Rumi
The following 4 users Like Scimitar's post:
  • The Creeper, shahah25, Mockingjay, Tarikko