#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Pink Floyd - The Wall, gruesome nightmares

11-20-2015, 01:16 PM #1
Trenton
Justiciar
So I found out recently about a phenomenon I'd wanted an answer to my whole life. And I was disturbed.

I've been asked a couple times here on VC if I've been subject to media brainwashing, and I never had a concrete answer. It's a bit frightening to learn about something that happened to me (and many others) and that I do not remember it at all.

I spoke in my first thread, about how my father and mother would explain rightnfrom wrong to me at a young age. And that they would show me very adult oriented material given my maturity at such a young age. But this one freaks me out.

My father is a huge fan of Pink Floyd, and I know their "Dark side of the moon" and "the wall" albums by heart. We would sing them together (and as a child, I couldn't really talk til I was 4 years old but I could repeat lyrics no problem)

When I was a little kid, I was disturbed because I would have these recurring daydreams, and thought I was evil or crazy. They disturbed me to my core. I would see my mom being grinded up in a giant hellish meat grinder, very detailed and up close. Just, eyes wide open during the day hallucinations.

They were so vivid and scary I thought I must "secretly want mom dead" or something.

I was talking to my partner about this a few weeks ago, about my daymares, and they said to me

"Did you ever watch The Wall?"

I said "No, though I really love the album, I don't remember if I've seen it, most likely though as a kid, I can kind of remember some clips, but I may have just seen parts on VH1"

They then continued "There's a part in that movie where children are jumping into a giant meat grinder, and apparently lots of kids had nightmares after watching it."

I realise now I must have watched it with my dad as a toddler. He totally would've shown me that movie.

I'm creeped out I watched something so iconic, and don't remember it, only because it was so disturbing I had to block it out.

Has anyone else watched "The Wall" ?

If so, did it mess with your head?

And are there any other 'iconic' movies (like fantasia) or anything that gave lasting emotional problems?

It's so creepy that so many people end up with permanent nightmares and mental issues after seeing a film. Filmography is a very powerful brainwashing tool.

I know many folks needed hospitalization after watching The Exorcist, for instance.

I know you're coming in the night like a thief, but I've had some time alone, to hone my lying technique. I know you think that I'm someone you can trust, but I'm scared I'll get scared, and I swear I'll try to nail you back up. So do you think that we could work out a sign, so I'll know it's you and that it's over so I won't even try? I know you're coming for the people like me. We've all got wood and nails, turned out in a hate factory.
The following 1 user Likes Trenton's post:
  • sophiaponders

11-20-2015, 02:43 PM #2
Riddler
Chaplain
you'll be surprised to know i've seen exactly the same and had the same nightmares.
you dont neccesarily have to have seen the movie, iirc the famous track had the same meatgrinder cartoon.

i actually had it doubled up as i recall seeing some weird disney-like cartoon on tv once where some goofy-like figure was put through a meat grinder into a cube and through some sort of machine and turned into whatever, i dunno, i only know it plagued me for quite a while, terrorising nightmares.

weird enough, i also saw Alien & Aliens from a much too young age and i thought it was amazingly cool and really never had a nightmare about that. Did with ET tho.

but yes, the pink floyd thing is very recognisable, and im sure there's more to it than meets the eye.

i actually at later lifetime HAVE seen the wall. I do admit its a 'good' movie though.

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout ‘Save us!’ And I'll whisper ‘No
------------
----------------------------------------------
The following 1 user Likes Riddler's post:
  • Trenton

11-20-2015, 07:25 PM #3
justsomegirl
Squire
My dad let me watch Nightmare on Elm Street when I was 8 years old. I was so terrified to fall asleep, I'd lay in bed all night thinking "1,2 Freddy's coming for you..." I'd focus so much on it that I'd end up having horrible nightmares full of Freddy Kruger anyways.

If any one hasn't seen the movie, basically Freddy Kruger kills teenagers in their dreams and then they die in real life.

When you're little that stuff just imprints on you for years. I think anything associated with sleep can be extra traumatic. I don't think I slept well for many years after that, way beyond an age I should be scared of a character from a movie.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant
The following 2 users Like justsomegirl's post:
  • Trenton, sophiaponders

11-20-2015, 09:44 PM #4
sophiaponders
Chaplain
the first time in my whole life that i ever had an anxiety attack was while watching one of their films. (i think it was called saucer full of secrets) i literally thought i was having a heart attack and had to go to hospital. there was other bad stuff going on in my life at the time too.. but it all fit together and freaked the f* out of me. i've never listened to them since.
This post was last modified: 11-20-2015, 09:48 PM by sophiaponders.

If you are interested in Palestine feel free to join my group https://www.facebook.com/groups/101464189944996/
The following 1 user Likes sophiaponders's post:
  • Trenton

11-20-2015, 10:42 PM #5
DiscoStu
Marshall
I don't know why I remember this, but when I was younger I watched Siskel and Ebert's review show. I loved it because we rarely went to movies when I was young back in the 80s that was pretty much the only place you could preview current movies. 

Well, they reviewed The Wall, and the scene they showed was the meat grinder scene. I'm ten at the time, and yeah it creeped me out. In college I went to see the whole film at a midnight show but the sound was so loud we had to leave after twenty minutes. It wasn't until about ten years ago I finally saw the whole thing.

I can't say I had nightmares as a result of that first exposure, but it might explain why I haven't really gotten into Pink Floyd.
The following 1 user Likes DiscoStu's post:
  • Trenton

11-21-2015, 05:31 AM #6
cookie
Marshall
(11-20-2015, 09:44 PM)sophiaponders Wrote:  the first time in my whole life that i ever had an anxiety attack was while watching one of their films. (i think it was called saucer  full of secrets)  i literally thought i was having a heart attack and had to go to hospital. there was other bad  stuff going on in my life at the time too.. but it all fit together and freaked the f* out of me. i've never listened to them since.

Saucer full of secrets - a movie?
Gosh, that one must've slipped my Floyd collection Huh
This post was last modified: 11-21-2015, 05:32 AM by cookie.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person,
Your behaviour does.