#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Symbolism in games

06-12-2015, 07:25 AM #1
fnd
Squire
There is really not much material here at VC about symbolism and occult agendas in video games apart from two articles about transhumanism (Call of Duty and Deus Ex), so i guess it would be interesting to hear some other stories about occult themes hidden in games. 

An interesting thing about Deus Ex that VC didn't mention is that the game is heavy about conspiracy theories and predicted 9/11, altought the creators claims that the game could not render the WTC in the first level of the game. Here is a video where the protagonist's brothers reveal a conspiracy (spoiler alert) :

Another interesting source is the Game Theory videos channel on Youtube, there's plenty of symbolism interpretation videos. Here's one about Final Fantasy games being anti-religion:

06-12-2015, 08:15 AM #2
Tarikko
Chaplain
As an avid gamer and fellow "truther" i can confirm that video games, just like any other entertainment medium, are replete with symbolism. From World of Warcraft, Age of Conan, Lord of the Rings, THE SECRET WORLD... and so on.

The Elder Scrolls Lore is all about the Jinn (Daedra), dark entities, human sacrifice, magic... you see the Elite's print and beliefs everywhere...

If only i didn't enjoy gaming so much Smile
This post was last modified: 06-12-2015, 08:16 AM by Tarikko.

“The lies (Western slander) which well-meaning zeal has heaped round this man (Muhammad) are disgraceful to ourselves only.”

― Thomas Carlyle, On Heroes, Hero Worship and the Heroic in History

06-12-2015, 09:14 AM #3
Loki
Chaplain
(06-12-2015, 08:15 AM)Tarikko Wrote:  As an avid gamer and fellow "truther" i can confirm that video games, just like any other entertainment medium, are replete with symbolism. From World of Warcraft, Age of Conan, Lord of the Rings, THE SECRET WORLD... and so on.

The Elder Scrolls Lore is all about the Jinn (Daedra), dark entities,  human sacrifice, magic... you see the Elite's print and beliefs everywhere...

I'm not big on the symbolism stuff personally, so I don't often post in these sorts of threads. Something I noticed recently though which I found funny is that Halo 5 will feature a team hunting down Master Chief and the team will be codenamed "Osiris". I found this funny because the latest Destiny expansion (a game made by Bungie, the original creators of Halo) includes a new PvP game type called The Trials of Osiris and if you compete well enough in the Trials you get cool new Egyptian themed armor pieces.

I just found it interesting or humorous that 343 Industry is made to look like they are copying Bungie by using the name Osiris for an element of their game which is following in the footsteps of Bungie before them. What is odd though is this random use of Egyptian theology/imagery whereas previously much of the theology in video games has been very Norse heavy I feel like, especially in Halo with armors named after Mjolnir and Gungnir.

“Life is neither good or evil, but only a place for good and evil.”
Marcus Aurelius

"In my opinion, there is a more scientific approach we can take to all hot-button issues. We do this when we stop demonizing the opposing viewpoints or victimizing ourselves, and we acknowledge and account for our own biases and emotions to the best of our ability."
--- Elliott C. Morgan

06-12-2015, 09:28 AM #4
Tarikko
Chaplain
(06-12-2015, 09:14 AM)Loki Wrote:  
(06-12-2015, 08:15 AM)Tarikko Wrote:  As an avid gamer and fellow "truther" i can confirm that video games, just like any other entertainment medium, are replete with symbolism. From World of Warcraft, Age of Conan, Lord of the Rings, THE SECRET WORLD... and so on.

The Elder Scrolls Lore is all about the Jinn (Daedra), dark entities,  human sacrifice, magic... you see the Elite's print and beliefs everywhere...

I'm not big on the symbolism stuff personally, so I don't often post in these sorts of threads. Something I noticed recently though which I found funny is that Halo 5 will feature a team hunting down Master Chief and the team will be codenamed "Osiris". I found this funny because the latest Destiny expansion (a game made by Bungie, the original creators of Halo) includes a new PvP game type called The Trials of Osiris and if you compete well enough in the Trials you get cool new Egyptian themed armor pieces.

I just found it interesting or humorous that 343 Industry is made to look like they are copying Bungie by using the name Osiris for an element of their game which is following in the footsteps of Bungie before them. What is odd though is this random use of Egyptian theology/imagery whereas previously much of the theology in video games has been very Norse heavy I feel like, especially in Halo with armors named after Mjolnir and Gungnir.

We are still ruled by the Pharaohs, Loki...they didn't disappear.. they just kept immigrating from one place to another, assimilating and integrating into society... Lurking in the shadows and pulling the strings
This post was last modified: 06-12-2015, 09:28 AM by Tarikko.

“The lies (Western slander) which well-meaning zeal has heaped round this man (Muhammad) are disgraceful to ourselves only.”

06-12-2015, 11:08 AM #5
Corvus Metus
Marshall
(06-12-2015, 08:15 AM)Tarikko Wrote:  The Elder Scrolls Lore is all about the Jinn (Daedra), dark entities,  human sacrifice, magic... you see the Elite's print and beliefs everywhere...

I wouldn't look too deep into the symbolism of any video game set in a fantasy/swords and sorcery setting.  While you'll obviously find some, I believe in most cases there is no insidious intent.  While I can't speak for everyone, as an unpublished author of fantasy fiction, while I put thought into my symbolism, there is no ill intent.

There is an organization in my world whose symbol is a heraldic-looking candle, with a flame that is in the shape of an eye.   If I ever finish my novel (instead of scraping it and starting over as I'm prone to doing) and by some freak chance it becomes the next Game of Thrones, I'm sure that sites like VC would pick up on it.  However, I chose it because it makes sense.  The organization, a militant wing to the main church in the setting, view themselves as watchers in the darkness; in the case of their group, it symbolizes how they see themselves as vigilant protectors and a light in the darkness.

That's not to say that there cannot be symbolism, however, sometimes I think people overthink things. 

I mean, trying to find NWO symbolism in Dues Ex? This is a game, all about conspiracy theories, where the antagonist in the first game game and Human Revolution, is the Illuminati.
This post was last modified: 06-12-2015, 11:18 AM by Corvus Metus.

I've come to see in the Land of the Free,  there's only a future for the chosen few.
Billy Bragg - To Have And To Have Not

06-12-2015, 11:30 AM #6
Tarikko
Chaplain
Corvus,

If this "group" permeated Hollywood, the music industry, the showbiz, the governments, the media and most importantly hijacked religion...

You can bet your ass they also permeated the gaming industry Smile
This post was last modified: 06-12-2015, 01:29 PM by Tarikko.

06-12-2015, 11:38 AM #7
Loki
Chaplain
(06-12-2015, 11:08 AM)Corvus Metus Wrote:  
(06-12-2015, 08:15 AM)Tarikko Wrote:  The Elder Scrolls Lore is all about the Jinn (Daedra), dark entities,  human sacrifice, magic... you see the Elite's print and beliefs everywhere...

I wouldn't look too deep into the symbolism of any video game set in a fantasy/swords and sorcery setting.  While you'll obviously find some, I believe in most cases there is no insidious intent.  While I can't speak for everyone, as an unpublished author of fantasy fiction, while I put thought into my symbolism, there is no ill intent.

There is an organization in my world whose symbol is a heraldic-looking candle, with a flame that is in the shape of an eye.   If I ever finish my novel (instead of scraping it and starting over as I'm prone to doing) and by some freak chance it becomes the next Game of Thrones, I'm sure that sites like VC would pick up on it.  However, I chose it because it makes sense.  The organization, a militant wing to the main church in the setting, view themselves as watchers in the darkness; in the case of their group, it symbolizes how they see themselves as vigilant protectors and a light in the darkness.

That's not to say that there cannot be symbolism, however, sometimes I think people overthink things. 

I mean, trying to find NWO symbolism in Dues Ex? This is a game, all about conspiracy theories, where the antagonist in the first game game and Human Revolution, is the Illuminati.

I've been saying this for years. People who don't write their own fantasy fiction don't understand how common it is to pick symbols and motifs because they make sense for the character or the setting and not out of any ill intent or occult ritual or otherwise nefarious reasons. This is the case with the majority of fantastical entertainment and then people just overanalyze the material, way more than the author themselves did in most cases.

“Life is neither good or evil, but only a place for good and evil.”
Marcus Aurelius

"In my opinion, there is a more scientific approach we can take to all hot-button issues. We do this when we stop demonizing the opposing viewpoints or victimizing ourselves, and we acknowledge and account for our own biases and emotions to the best of our ability."
--- Elliott C. Morgan

06-12-2015, 11:42 AM #8
Corvus Metus
Marshall
(06-12-2015, 11:30 AM)Tarikko Wrote:  Corvus,

If this "group" permeated Hollywood, the music industry, the showbiz, the governments, the media...

You can bet your ass they also permeated the gaming industry Smile

I'm not saying they didn't.

I'm just saying, as an author of fantasy fiction, I know that when it comes to the genre no matter what form of media, often symbolism isn't insidious.  I won't speak for every author, but I can speak for authors I know and myself.  As I said, if ever finish my novel, and someone was to look over it they would find "symbolism".  However, the symbolism would literally just be used to tell a story with no real meaning, aside from what I, the author, gave it.

Sometimes, I think people forget intent means something.

I've come to see in the Land of the Free,  there's only a future for the chosen few.
Billy Bragg - To Have And To Have Not

06-12-2015, 11:55 AM #9
fnd
Squire
"I mean, trying to find NWO symbolism in Dues Ex? This is a game, all about conspiracy theories, where the antagonist in the first game game and Human Revolution, is the Illuminati."

A game about conspiracy without symbolism would be even stranger. And if i remember correctly(spoiler incoming), in the first game there is the option to aid the illuminaty, so the status quo could be maintained. This is not the optimal ending BTW, the best ending is the Deus Ex ending, where a man and AI becomes one, a hint to transhumanism. There is also the whole 09/11 bit that it's still inconclusive to me.

A recent game i played with some strange symbolism:

The blonde girl hairstyle always cover one eye, and she is a victim of science tests
This post was last modified: 06-12-2015, 12:09 PM by fnd.

06-12-2015, 07:11 PM #10
The Creeper
Chaplain
Games consoles are just another way to expose us to the same symbols and ideas as the rest of the media. They work better than regular tv in that the person playing actually becomes the protagonist rather than just relating to them. That said, I used to love Abe's Odysee and Doom back in the 90s and I have probably spent years of my life playing Morrowind since someone mentioned the Elder Scrolls earlier. Area 51 by Midway was a good game as well. GTAV has a lot of symbolism and references to the current world system.

The assassins creed games have some symbolism and a very NWOish storyline involving the templars. I stopped playing them before they went into colonial times, I always thought that the main logo/symbol looks a bit like a masonic compass to me.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool – William Shakespear