#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums

How and Why music affects us?

11-03-2015, 06:34 PM #1
I know that with age music affects me much less. When I was young music truly affected my mood. Faster tempo to me was exciting and I know it has to do with associating heartbeat tempo with excitement and perhaps hormones play a role.
Rock and Roll music in my exp. generally made me rather angry for no reason it seems. 
Music in the car influenced my driving even.
Also I recall hearing about frequencies making us sleepy or more alert, depending on beats per sec.
The following 6 users Like sarcasm's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, Lotte, Goku, , Trenton, distractobot

11-03-2015, 08:54 PM #2
An article detailing a piece of this mystery,

Why songs such as Adele's music makes us cry:

The music industry uses binaural beats and other factors as well for programming us. Even more so than the actual garbage littered through the lyrics or accompanying music videos.

The most high exalting and I ain't halting 'til I die of exhaustion and inhale my exhaust fumes.
The following 7 users Like Trenton's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, Lotte, sarcasm, Serendipity, Goku, , distractobot

11-03-2015, 08:59 PM #3
I really do think you and a lot of others are on to something when bringing this up. Frequencies in tv shows and music have an affect on us, nefarious or not.

When I was in school, I had a very respected and quite brilliant teacher tell us about how certain tempos not only affect our brains but also our endocrine systems and our musculature. He explained that when we work out listening to music, there's an added bonus to our calorie burn, due to the brain chemistry being manipulated by the music. This is the reason why we get chills or want to dance or whatever it is you feel. For example techno and rap have such high rpms and deep bass that it causes the muscles to constrict and relax, so it's better for physical tasks in comparison to classical, which seems to affect the brain more intellectually than physically. 

On a more VC note, it makes sense that rock and roll would make you angry, a lot of it's lyrics are written to make you feel angry ontop of already there angst. Doesn't help that they do devil shit to the records, either. And I feel you on how certain music makes you drive differently. Some songs make me feel like I'm in a fast&furious remake. Ha.
The following 3 users Like distractobot's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, , Trenton

11-04-2015, 06:32 AM #4
Discussed this with a friend ages ago.

Check this link to teach yourselves about the different brainwaves, frequency ranges, what's associated with each range and how the Brain is effected by each:

Sound is like the taste of our ears.

If I could have background music in life, I probably would.
The following 6 users Like Goku's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, Hex, sarcasm, distractobot, Serendipity, Trenton

11-05-2015, 11:40 AM #5
If I could have background music in life, I probably would.
Might get old, but would not mind the occasional sound effect.. maybe a slide whistle?

Am I controlling my brain or it controls me?
I guess TV entrains the brain, hypnotycally almost via induction of a receptive learning alpha state.
The following 2 users Like sarcasm's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, Trenton

11-14-2015, 11:15 PM #6
Here's a detailed explanation from the excellent Montalk site:
This post was last modified: 11-14-2015, 11:16 PM by TheyLive. Edit Reason: link

We will be victorious! So c'mon!
The following 1 user Likes TheyLive's post:
  • Thy Unveiling

12-05-2015, 11:00 PM #7
Tv did not have much variety in times of The Beatles, early on in their career, so they had way more attention focused on them then.
One group today probably could not garner the same level of attention. But I wondered whether this "Tavistock" Institute steered that, at least since I heard of that Inst.
The following 1 user Likes sarcasm's post:
  • Thy Unveiling

12-15-2015, 09:13 AM #8
What really worries me it's the frequency we listen to..our grandpa's/ma's didn't used to listen so much music in their youth and now we do, a lot, with headphones blasting. I wonder if 1/3 of world's future elderly aren't going to be deaf when they get to their 60's

Knowledge is power.
The following 1 user Likes SpiralArchitect's post:
  • Sidhuriel

12-15-2015, 09:32 AM #9
Kung Fu
And this is precisely why, I don't listen to music or at least anything mainstream. The crap the elite produces literally alters your mind and, therefore, your decisions and and your behaviour.
This post was last modified: 12-15-2015, 09:32 AM by Kung Fu.

Prophet Muhammad (SallAllahu alaihi wasalam) said:

"My similitude and that of the life of this world is that of a traveler who took a rest at mid-day under a shade of a tree and then left it."       (Ahmad, at-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah and al-Hakim)