#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Imaginary Friends

10-21-2015, 09:02 AM #1
Loki
Chaplain
I'm not honestly sure this is the right forum for this specific thread but it's close enough I think and this topic deals with ghosts and spirits.

So my question is: Who here had an imaginary friend when they were a child? And what can you remember about them?

First I'll give my own answer and then I'll explain why I thought up this thread and why this interests me.

I can't recall ever having an imaginary friend. I remember hearing about them via TV shows and such but never had one of my own. I did pretend to fight people that weren't there using my imagination I'm sure. My younger cousin and I would often patrol my grandma's old apartment complex pretending to be various heroes and fighting villains we couldn't see. Until recently I thought that imaginary friends were the same as what we were doing. A lonely kid (or maybe not lonely) would concoct a friend to play with in their imagination and would just pretend that they were talking to someone else while really only talking to themself out loud.

Now recently I've been listening to a podcast called Real Ghost Stories Online. It is hosted by a guy named Tony Brueski who just really enjoys spooky stories and the idea of ghosts and such so he made a podcast where people could call in and write in like a radio program and he would play back or read their "real ghost stories." It's a fun show and gives you a lot to think about because while some stories will be made up of course, many stories sound potentially real or at the very elast the callers/writers believe whole heartedly that they happened.

So about 50 episodes or so in Tony's wife Jenny joins the show as a co-host (they do it out of the studio in their house) and offers another perspective on things. She also claims to be somewhat sensitive to the paranormal but not in a braggy way, more in a "I hate that I can sense these things" kind of way. So anyway, on a recent episode I listened to they got on the topic of imaginary friends. They both had imaginary friends growing up but Tony talks about how he clearly remembers imagining a friend and pretending they are there using his imagination. Jenny on the other hand recalls that she knows exactly what her friend looked like and would actually see him sitting there playing with her or talking to her. It's at this point that she realizes that that is entirely different from her husband's experience as a child and begins to wonder out loud if maybe she'd been playing with and talking to a ghost boy, which of course creeps her out.

So what do you guys think? Are most imaginary friends creations of the mind or are they more often than we realize a spirit from the other side interacting with us because kids are reportedly much more sensitive to such things and often able to see things adults can't?

“Life is neither good or evil, but only a place for good and evil.”
Marcus Aurelius

"In my opinion, there is a more scientific approach we can take to all hot-button issues. We do this when we stop demonizing the opposing viewpoints or victimizing ourselves, and we acknowledge and account for our own biases and emotions to the best of our ability."
--- Elliott C. Morgan
The following 2 users Like Loki's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, Goku

10-21-2015, 09:26 AM #2
Goku
Chaplain
I think it's all in the brain.

The 'imaginary friend' episode stems from loneliness, in my opinion, and the power/extent of a child's imagination is basically limitless so I'd go as far as saying children can convince themselves of their own imagination - due to their innocence and lack of knowledge.

If your an Only Child then I'd assume you'd may be more susceptible to creating an 'Imaginary Friend'.
The following 3 users Like Goku's post:
  • BaronAmity, Thy Unveiling, Loki

10-21-2015, 09:35 AM #3
Loki
Chaplain
(10-21-2015, 09:26 AM)Goku Wrote:  I think it's all in the brain.

The 'imaginary friend' episode stems from loneliness, in my opinion, and the power/extent of a child's imagination is basically limitless so I'd go as far as saying children can convince themselves of their own imagination - due to their innocence and lack of knowledge.

If your an Only Child then I'd assume you'd may be more susceptible to creating an 'Imaginary Friend'.

That's what I think generally as well. We know very little about the brain really, so who is to say what it is really capable of, especially when it is the unfiltered mind of a child.

The creepy thing is how she recounted actually seeing the boy sitting next to her and speaking to him. It's hard for me to imagine that level of imagination, though I don't dismiss it being possible. Any time I imagined things as a child I knew what I wanted to be seeing but I never actually saw anything physically, it was always in my mind's eye. So for those who actually saw something in the room with them either have an amazing brain that is capable of projecting hallucinations that they can interact with or perhaps there is actually something paranormal making itself known to them.

My beliefs on ghosts still fluctuate wildly, so I'm not really sure which I believe to be the case.

Marcus Aurelius

"In my opinion, there is a more scientific approach we can take to all hot-button issues. We do this when we stop demonizing the opposing viewpoints or victimizing ourselves, and we acknowledge and account for our own biases and emotions to the best of our ability."
--- Elliott C. Morgan
  • Thy Unveiling, Goku

10-21-2015, 09:49 AM #4
Lisa
Chaplain
People should be careful what they let into their lives. There are spiritually dark forces that can have negative affects on your thinking. The Bible warns about such things.

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.  1John 4:1

Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8
The following 1 user Likes Lisa's post:
  • Thy Unveiling

10-21-2015, 09:54 AM #5
Loki
Chaplain
(10-21-2015, 09:49 AM)Lisa Wrote:  People should be careful what they let into their lives. There are spiritually dark forces that can have negative affects on your thinking. The Bible warns about such things.

We are talking about kids possibly talking to ghosts, not having séances.

Marcus Aurelius

--- Elliott C. Morgan
  • Thy Unveiling, Goku

10-21-2015, 10:00 AM #6
Lisa
Chaplain
(10-21-2015, 09:54 AM)Loki Wrote:  
(10-21-2015, 09:49 AM)Lisa Wrote:  People should be careful what they let into their lives. There are spiritually dark forces that can have negative affects on your thinking. The Bible warns about such things.

Same thing.

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.  1John 4:1

Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8

10-21-2015, 10:03 AM #7
Loki
Chaplain
(10-21-2015, 10:00 AM)Lisa Wrote:  

Same thing.

Nope... not even a little bit. Nice try though Wink

Marcus Aurelius

--- Elliott C. Morgan
  • Thy Unveiling, Goku

10-21-2015, 10:05 AM #8
Lisa
Chaplain
(10-21-2015, 10:03 AM)Loki Wrote:  

Same thing.

Why do you think that?

10-21-2015, 10:31 AM #9
Goku
Chaplain
(10-21-2015, 09:35 AM)Loki Wrote:  That's what I think generally as well. We know very little about the brain really, so who is to say what it is really capable of, especially when it is the unfiltered mind of a child.

The creepy thing is how she recounted actually seeing the boy sitting next to her and speaking to him. It's hard for me to imagine that level of imagination, though I don't dismiss it being possible. Any time I imagined things as a child I knew what I wanted to be seeing but I never actually saw anything physically, it was always in my mind's eye. So for those who actually saw something in the room with them either have an amazing brain that is capable of projecting hallucinations that they can interact with or perhaps there is actually something paranormal making itself known to them.

My beliefs on ghosts still fluctuate wildly, so I'm not really sure which I believe to be the case.

Yeah, I wouldn't put it passed the imagination of a Child.

It all falls under parapsychology anyway, which is pseudoscience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parapsychology
The following 2 users Like Goku's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, Loki

10-21-2015, 10:34 AM #10
Loki
Chaplain
(10-21-2015, 10:05 AM)Lisa Wrote:  
(10-21-2015, 10:03 AM)Loki Wrote:  

Same thing.

Why do you think that?

Because a child seeing a ghost is not something they can control or invite. As mentioned in the entirety of the thread, these children simply think this is a friend no one else can see (assuming they really are seeing a ghost and not a figment of their imagination). On the other hand a séance is something that would specifically be asking spirits to communicate with the living. The two things are vastly different.

Your original warning seems a little out of place because this thread is discussing our potential past where we were children and either creating imaginary friends or seeing ghosts and thinking those are imaginary friends. We can't change what we might have seen as children, and children typically have no real understanding of ghosts or spirits which is why they wouldn't be troubled by potentially speaking to a ghost.

Marcus Aurelius

--- Elliott C. Morgan
The following 1 user Likes Loki's post:
  • Thy Unveiling