#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Ghost stories

06-04-2015, 12:20 PM #1
The Creeper
Chaplain
Ever since ancient times and across all continents people have been telling stories about seeing the spirits of the dead. A lot of religions mention a soul that continues to exist after the death of the physical body. If you hear enough of these stories you may begin to notice some common themes. Loved ones appearing in dreams, young children and animals responding to "invisible" things, shadow people, poltergeists the list goes on.

When I started researching the paranormal many years ago I came across this website
http://theshadowlands.net/ghost/experiences.html
The site has not been updated since 2013 and I know it is possible that some of the stories could be fake but I think the sheer volume will speak for itself.

I have had one serious encounter which was what drove me to look into this subject as more than just ghost stories. I have also known of things happening to other people that I know. This kind of thing can be rather disturbing and creepy but it is still an interesting topic to delve into at times. There is a fine line between mental illness and strange encounters that can be hard to define but you will know when you have seen something.

You don't have to post any personal encounters if you dont want to, having been through it I can understand. This thread is more for any information or theories about this phenomena that people may like to share.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool – William Shakespear
The following 3 users Like The Creeper's post:
  • Trenton, Thy Unveiling, Tarikko

06-04-2015, 12:34 PM #2
RiderOfKarma
Marshall
(06-04-2015, 12:20 PM)The Creeper Wrote:  Ever since ancient times and across all continents people have been telling stories about seeing the spirits of the dead. A lot of religions mention a soul that continues to exist after the death of the physical body. If you hear enough of these stories you may begin to notice some common themes. Loved ones appearing in dreams, young children and animals responding to "invisible" things, shadow people, poltergeists the list goes on.

When I started researching the paranormal many years ago I came across this website
The site has not been updated since 2013 and I know it is possible that some of the stories could be fake but I think the sheer volume will speak for itself.

I have had one serious encounter which was what drove me to look into this subject as more than just ghost stories. I have also known of things happening to other people that I know. This kind of thing can be rather disturbing and creepy but it is still an interesting topic to delve into at times. There is a fine line between mental illness and strange encounters that can be hard to define but you will know when you have seen something.

You don't have to post any personal encounters if you dont want to, having been through it I can understand. This thread is more for any information or theories about this phenomena that people may like to share.

I'm definitely excited to read through your link, love ghost stories. Very fun topic. I have no personal experiences, sadly, but I hope you and others have some to share!
The following 1 user Likes RiderOfKarma's post:
  • Thy Unveiling

06-04-2015, 12:41 PM #3
SabethaPenguin
Marshall
(06-04-2015, 12:20 PM)The Creeper Wrote:  Ever since ancient times and across all continents people have been telling stories about seeing the spirits of the dead. A lot of religions mention a soul that continues to exist after the death of the physical body. If you hear enough of these stories you may begin to notice some common themes. Loved ones appearing in dreams, young children and animals responding to "invisible" things, shadow people, poltergeists the list goes on.

One of my friends has had multiple creepy encounters. I'm scpetic when it comes to ghosts, although there is stuff that happened to me which I can't explain. But she, daaamn.

She lived in an apartment with her boyfriend and she was positive it was haunted. Above the door to a little balcony was a window, which always fell open when her boyfriend was not around. The window had a little lock, but it kept on falling open. She also believed their bedroom to be haunted, so she refused to enter it alone. She did do it once, only once, because he had forgotten to turn the bedlamp off. As soon as she enters, the lamp exploded. (she didn't touch anything except for the door)

Her stepdad commited suicide about 3 years back. Recently, she had a very lucid dream in which her stepdad visited her to tell her he loved her and her mom, but that he had an inoperable brain tumor which was causing him massive headaches. He told her also that he wanted to visit before, but he didn't felt like she was ready for it. He said he would go see her mom, too.
A week later, she visits her mom, and the first thing she say is "I had this weird dream, daddy visited me and told me about a tumor". Creepy part is, the scans or medical results are nowhere to be found because the internal system had a breakdown in which thousands of data were lost.

I wouldn't post this if I weren't sure she isn't lying. She's probably the sweetest and most honest person I know, and we've been friends for years. I suggested she should go see a medium, or even become one.

“The world outside had its own rules, and those rules were not human.”
The following 1 user Likes SabethaPenguin's post:
  • Thy Unveiling

06-04-2015, 01:09 PM #4
Loki
Chaplain

I've always found ghosts to be a very interesting concept and generally speaking I think there has to be some reality to it. Perhaps it's some form of mass hysteria, but as much of a skeptic as I tend to be ghosts have always been a very real possibility to me. Now demons on the other hand I'm very iffy about, that delves more into religious ideas and concepts and personal interpretation of experiences I think.

I've only had one experience which I considered paranormal and then another experience where it was just weird and probably my mind playing tricks on me. When I have some more time I might share.

“Life is neither good or evil, but only a place for good and evil.”
Marcus Aurelius

"In my opinion, there is a more scientific approach we can take to all hot-button issues. We do this when we stop demonizing the opposing viewpoints or victimizing ourselves, and we acknowledge and account for our own biases and emotions to the best of our ability."
--- Elliott C. Morgan

06-04-2015, 01:35 PM #5
The Creeper
Chaplain
From what I have gathered we are all born with the ability to sense these things but we lose this ability as we grow older as we are all told that ghosts are not real. Some of us regain this ability later in life, either accidentaly or on purpose and some people just never lose it. Think of it like being tuned into a radio frequency from another country.

The dream part I find interesting as I have known two people who have had weird dreams about dead reletives. One was my aunt who dreamed she was in my grandmas flat where my grandma asked her what happened to all her stuff (she died instantly of some kind of brain thing after having a stroke a few months before). The other was a friend of mine who was really upset when his dad died. After a long period of grieving he started having some strange dreams, until he had this one weird dream where he had a conversation with his dad about him being dead and he was told that everything is ok. After that he seemed to start feeling a bit better about the situation. I have heard that grieving too much can keep spirits in this world as they don't like seeing their loved ones so upset.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool – William Shakespear
The following 2 users Like The Creeper's post:
  • Trenton, Thy Unveiling

06-04-2015, 01:50 PM #6
Loki
Chaplain
Do you all put any stock into ghost hunting shows? I'm not sure I do but I still find them entertaining and some of the evidence they get, if it isn't faked, can be quite compelling. Other evidence they obviously try to oversell or subliminally influence us to believe. The idea that some of those groups find as much evidence per Hunt as they do is what makes it all unbelievable of course, which is unfortunate. but how boring would an hour of television where a group of dudes walk around talking to themselves be if they found nothing interesting?

Oh, also if you guys like ghost stories, check out this podcast: Anything Ghost. It's a very interesting listen a lot of the time and Lex Wahl asks that all stories be personal and real tales of experiences except for the Halloween episode. Of course I'm sure some are made up but if even half are real that would be amazing. Plus the music he injects gives the whole thing a cool creepy atmosphere.

“Life is neither good or evil, but only a place for good and evil.”
Marcus Aurelius

"In my opinion, there is a more scientific approach we can take to all hot-button issues. We do this when we stop demonizing the opposing viewpoints or victimizing ourselves, and we acknowledge and account for our own biases and emotions to the best of our ability."
--- Elliott C. Morgan
The following 1 user Likes Loki's post:
  • Thy Unveiling

06-04-2015, 02:02 PM #7
The Creeper
Chaplain
I don't put much stock in any ghost hunting show made for TV because they have to find something due to the "entertainment value", if their investigations do not uncover anything it won't be on TV. If ghosts were so easily proven to exist we wouldn't need to have this conversation about them.

I don't think that all the stories going back to year dot can be chalked up to mass hysteria. That said, not every weird thing that happens is because of ghosts. As I said in my original post there is a fine line between the paranormal and mental illness. We still don't know everything about the mind or why we need to sleep. The major incident I mentioned I can only describe as a demonic encounter as this thing seemed to be made out of pure hate, I don't like telling that story. If people keep asking I will have to bite the bullet and tell it. If people are skeptical about ghosts and the paranormal thats good we need people to question what we think we know, believing something doesn't always make it true.
This post was last modified: 06-04-2015, 02:49 PM by The Creeper.

The following 2 users Like The Creeper's post:
  • Trenton, Thy Unveiling

06-04-2015, 03:31 PM #8
ZZZ55
Squire
not a fan of ghost shows myself, eventhough they are entertaining to some extent.

I have a question: 
how do you know if it is a demon or a ghost? or are ghosts demons? 
not sure if those that believe in ghosts by default believe in demons.

(06-04-2015, 02:02 PM)The Creeper Wrote:  I don't put much stock in any ghost hunting show made for TV because they have to find something due to the "entertainment value", if their investigations do not uncover anything it won't be on TV. If ghosts were so easily proven to exist we wouldn't need to have this conversation about them.

I don't think that all the stories going back to year dot can be chalked up to mass hysteria. That said, not every weird thing that happens is because of ghosts. As I said in my original post there is a fine line between the paranormal and mental illness. We still don't know everything about the mind or why we need to sleep. The major incident I mentioned I can only describe as a demonic encounter as this thing seemed to be made out of pure hate, I don't like telling that story. If people keep asking I will have to bite the bullet and tell it. If people are skeptical about ghosts and the paranormal thats good we need people to question what we think we know, believing something doesn't always make it true.

I am interested to know about your story to be honest...
This post was last modified: 06-04-2015, 03:35 PM by ZZZ55.
The following 1 user Likes ZZZ55's post:
  • Thy Unveiling

06-04-2015, 03:40 PM #9
cameronjcw
Justiciar
(06-04-2015, 02:02 PM)The Creeper Wrote:  I don't put much stock in any ghost hunting show made for TV because they have to find something due to the "entertainment value", if their investigations do not uncover anything it won't be on TV. If ghosts were so easily proven to exist we wouldn't need to have this conversation about them.

I have always been interested in ghosts/the other side/other dimension whatever it really is lol although I am a skeptic and not 100% either way, dont think I ever will be, even if I saw something right in front of me Im not sure Id believe it as I know how real hallucinations can be however I have had a few odd experiences.

In my childhood home one time I was really ill and in bed and I felt like there was a presence at the end of my bed coming towards me but I couldnt move or shout out, remember trying to shout out but my voice was so weak it wasnt loud enough. As scary as that was I always put it down to hallucinating because I was so ill, last year though talking to my younger brother he said he described a very similar experience in the same room which is a bit weird.

In my last flat me and my daughter lived in I had numerous experiences that felt like somebody sitting on bed behind me, happened countless times in my bedroom while in bed and in the living room although we had a cat the cat was never there or the cat was somewhere else in another room, my daughter also experienced this too.

Its happened once or twice in my current flat but literally a couple of times. One morning my daughter was getting ready for school and was standing in the living room door frame and a dark shadow went past her into the kitchen and then we heard dishes moving that was a bit freaky, it was taller than my daughter was like a black shadow the size and shape of a person but nothing more than that. As far as I recall thats the only experience Ive had in here. If it wasn't for the dishes moving just after it Id have said it was just a hallucination but that just made it quite bizzare, often have my cats staring at that area next to the living room door which is right behind where I sit which is a bit freaky, both of them do it and our other cat who died in here a few years ago used to do it too. I am sure ive seen a shadow cat a few times although I do have two other cats but they have been in other places, who knows Ive had visual hallucinations multiple times and audio stuff because my ears are fecked but the physical sensations and things moving, oh yeah for a while the tap on the bathroom kept being turned or it seemed like that, it may just be loose or maybe I left it on which I have done a few times!
The following 1 user Likes cameronjcw's post:
  • Thy Unveiling

06-04-2015, 03:45 PM #10
Brenon
Knight
As long as the Girl from The Ring doesnt show up infront of my bed im good LOL. Personaly if have never witnessed a Ghost according to the Definition/Believe most of you Hold.

I seen couple of Demons though, one looked like a Critter from the Movie, Small, Egg Shaped, Huge Smile with Rows of Small Teeth who stood on my chest while i tried to sleep, i did something and ye lol it never came back. Sometimes i do see stuff Flying in the Air though for like a second. Till this day im looking forward of a Demon taking hold of my Feet and pulling me out of Bed, hope it never happens but ye.
The following 1 user Likes Brenon's post:
  • Thy Unveiling