#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Rushdie: 'free speech is a part of human nature'

10-13-2015, 07:17 PM #1
meltbanana
Chaplain

nowadays, innocent people can't seem to do anything without having to fear islamic 'retaliation' (for what? free spech?). from thelocal.de/20151013/rushdies-plea-for-free-speech-at-frankfurt-book-fair:

Quote:All attempts to curb free speech are "an attack on human nature", British-Indian writer Salman Rushdie said Tuesday at the start of the world's biggest book fair in Frankfurt.

"Limiting freedom of expression is not just censorship, it is also an assault on human nature," Rushdie told a news conference.

"Expression of speech is fundamental to all human beings. We are language animals, we are story-telling animals," he said, insisting that free speech was a universal principle.

"Without that freedom of expression, all other freedoms fail," he said.

Rushdie has had an Islamic death sentence hanging over his head for a quarter of a century over his 1989 book "The Satanic Verses".

Iran's then supreme leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini issued a fatwa saying the author should be killed, forcing Rushdie to go into hiding, with the British government placed him under police protection.

The decision to invite him to speak at the Frankfurt Book Fair, which opens later on Tuesday, sparked a boycott by Iran of the exhibition.

"I always thought in a way we shouldn't need to discuss anymore about freedom of speech in the West, it should be like the air we breathe," Rushdie said.

Violent threats

"It seemed to me that this battle was won a couple of hundred years ago" during the French Enlightenment, he said.
"But the fact that we have to go on fighting this battle is the result of a number of regrettable, more recent phenomena," he continued, pointing to "violent threats" against writers, publishers, book sellers and translators.
In addition, "in certain parts of the world, a new feeling of political correctness is also dangerous," Rushdie argued.
His new novel, entitled "Two Years, Eight Months and Twenty-Eight Nights", is appearing almost simultaneously in English and in German translation.

Last week, Tehran said it was boycotting the Frankfurt fair because it had, "under the pretext of freedom of expression, invited a person who is hated in the Islamic world and created the opportunity for Salman Rushdie... to make a speech."

The author also said publishing was the "embodiment" and "guardian of freedom of speech".

"If you believe in a single vision of the truth and you seek to impose that single vision of the truth on others, then people offering diverse visions of the truth become your enemies."

"But yet oddly, literature often survives this battle," he said. "Literature is unbelievably durable and strong (though) writers are weak."

The fair's organisers defended their decision to invite Rushdie, saying freedom of expression was a key theme at this year's gathering of writers and publishers, 10 months after Islamists marched into the Paris office of French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo and gunned down 12 members of its editorial Team.
The following 1 user Likes meltbanana's post:
  •

10-13-2015, 07:23 PM #2
Scimitar
Grand Commander
omg what happened to his neck? poor guy.

Scimi

Out beyond ideas
of wrong-doing,

and right-doing,

there is a field...

...I'll meet you there.
€

Jalaluddin Rumi
The following 1 user Likes Scimitar's post:
  • Tarikko

A better day Show this Post
10-13-2015, 07:47 PM #3
A better day Unregistered

FYI

Here is the the U.S. Constitution First Amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

So powerful.
The following 1 user Likes A better day's post:
  • meltbanana

10-13-2015, 07:55 PM #4
meltbanana
Chaplain
(10-13-2015, 07:47 PM)A better day Wrote:  FYI

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

So powerful.

but I'm not so sure if 'prohibiting the free exercise thereof' is still exercised. however, I'm all for don't push and don't forbid, either, myself. free speech, free choice. both are a must.

10-13-2015, 07:56 PM #5
Riddler
Chaplain
Quote:nowadays, innocent people can't seem to do anything without having to fear islamic 'retaliation'

i kinda take a dump and have a good sleep every day without the fear it's gonna cost me my life.
actually, i feel kinda fine. it's the government strangling me which has me fearing more, especially
for retaliation if i don't pay my bills on time.

btw , Salmon has a 26 year sentance over his head but it seems hes rather alive and kicking, huh?

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout ‘Save us!’ And I'll whisper ‘No
------------
----------------------------------------------
The following 1 user Likes Riddler's post:
  • Tarikko

10-13-2015, 08:01 PM #6
Scimitar
Grand Commander
Salmon Big Grin was that ... naah hahaha, funny Big Grin

Scimi

Out beyond ideas
of wrong-doing,

and right-doing,

there is a field...

...I'll meet you there.
€

Jalaluddin Rumi
  • Tarikko

A better day Show this Post
10-13-2015, 08:08 PM #7
A better day Unregistered

meltbananna said:
"but I'm not so sure if 'prohibiting the free exercise thereof' is still exercised. however, I'm all for don't push and don't forbid, either, myself. free speech, free choice. both are a must."

It's there, but it is always under attack.  I've done a little, street activism and have had the police do the detain-thang.  I've  participated in organizing a rally and the insurmountable red tape involved; it's all about porta-potties and parking spaces.  

Our rights are protected, just now have to find the lawyers willing to defend them.

10-13-2015, 08:11 PM #8
Riddler
Chaplain
(10-13-2015, 07:55 PM)meltbanana Wrote:  
(10-13-2015, 07:47 PM)A better day Wrote:  FYI

So powerful.

but I'm not so sure if 'prohibiting the free exercise thereof' is still exercised. however, I'm all for don't push and don't forbid, either, myself. free speech, free choice. both are a must.

so would you say that it would be fair if Muslims would be allowed to excersie free speech aswell?

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout ‘Save us!’ And I'll whisper ‘No
------------
----------------------------------------------
The following 2 users Like Riddler's post:
  • Tarikko, Scimitar

10-13-2015, 08:12 PM #9
Scimitar
Grand Commander
loaded, but I like it Big Grin

Out beyond ideas
of wrong-doing,

and right-doing,

there is a field...

...I'll meet you there.
€

Jalaluddin Rumi
  • Tarikko

10-13-2015, 08:13 PM #10
meltbanana
Chaplain
(10-13-2015, 08:08 PM)A better day Wrote:  It's there, but it is always under attack.  I've done a little, street activism and have had the police do the detain-thang.  I've  participated in organizing a rally and the insurmountable red tape involved; it's all about porta-potties and parking spaces.  

Our rights are protected, just now have to find the lawyers willing to defend them.

-_^ that's great to hear (read). are you still an 'activist'? I remember when they banned Ice-T's (Body Count) 'cop killer'. it was ridiculous. and while they are meanwhile promoting hardcore sex all over the place, CD covers still have that 'parental advisory' sticker on 'em. what a world.
The following 1 user Likes meltbanana's post:
  •