#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums

Self Actualization and Peak Experience

10-11-2015, 08:31 PM #1
I'm currently reading a book called "Personality: Classic Theories and Modern Reasearch" by Friedman and Schustack, and I just wanted to share a little excerpt from it regarding a theory from one Abraham Maslow (of Maslow's hierarchy of needs fame).

Peak Experience: A powerful experience loaded with meaning, in which the individual experiences a transcendence of the self and experiences an intense feeling of interconnectedness with the world.

"Peak experiences are common to people who are fully self actualized. The insights these epiphanies provide help to maintain the mature personality... Self actualized people have a realistic knowledge of themselves and accept themselves. (Unactualized people may occasionally have a peak experience but are more likely to be frightened than enlightened by it.) They are independant, spontaneous, and playful. They tend to have a philosophical sense of humor; you will not find them cracking ethnic jokes or engaging in crass sexual innuendos. They can establish deep, intimate relationships with other people, and they generally have a love of humankind. They are non-conformist but highly ethical. And they have had peak experiences... Peak experiences are not necessarily other wordly or sacred. Rather they may be found in friendship, in family, in work---in the pattern of ordinary life."

What do you guys think of that description of peak experience (ie. transcendance, nirvana)?

I think it is beautifully worded and very insightful into the nature of self actualisation.

Also I hope I haven't broken any copyright laws or forum rules, I just wanted to share something from a resource that I highly recommend to anybody who is interested in the history of the study of the human spirit.

"You can find in a text whatever you bring, if you will stand between it and the mirror of your imagination. You may not see your ears, but they will be there." - Moral, by the Cat
The following 3 users Like HongKongHoward's post:
  • Hex, Goku, cameronjcw