#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
What makes you happy or keeps you going?

10-01-2015, 02:03 AM #1
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
Kinda inspired by MJ and Scimi between her inspiration thread and his Happy thread. Besides, we really need to inject a more positive vibe back into this place. If we were natives and this was a house with rooms we'd be due for a smudging.

So what are some things (however mundane) that make you happy? No matter how miserable you're feeling, it always perks you up a bit. Or it can be something that keeps you hanging on no matter how much you want to give up.

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

There's only one true judge and that's God; so chill and let Our Father do His job
The following 5 users Like Thy Unveiling's post:
  • Vytas, Scimitar, meltbanana, The Creeper, Trenton

10-01-2015, 02:06 AM #2
Trenton
Justiciar
Learning something new, or more about something, every day.

And not giving up in the prospect that something new and wonderful will happen if I continue to live. I may not know when, and even if each day feels repetitive or meaningless, I know deep down it isn't.

So when I feel down, I try to see anything at all that is new, interesting, or wonderful, so I can remember it's all worthwhile Smile

I know you're coming in the night like a thief, but I've had some time alone, to hone my lying technique. I know you think that I'm someone you can trust, but I'm scared I'll get scared, and I swear I'll try to nail you back up. So do you think that we could work out a sign, so I'll know it's you and that it's over so I won't even try? I know you're coming for the people like me. We've all got wood and nails, turned out in a hate factory.
The following 7 users Like Trenton's post:
  • Elf, Vytas, The Creeper, Thy Unveiling, Scimitar, Goku, meltbanana

10-01-2015, 07:01 AM #3
meltbanana
Chaplain
in no particular order: making me happy - children. my children. my girlfriend. my best friend. when people are doing well. most animals. when I hear birds sing or communicate. music. knowing that everything will be perfect in the future. insights. making someone happy. when there's no physical mail in my physical mailbox. when I go to bed and realize that I've managed to not be an asshole (including my thoughts) for the whole day (which is pretty rare). whenever I manage to spend a day without reading, seeing or hearing about any 'news' of this s**t world (also pretty rare).
keeping me going - my children. the general probability of (and my duty to) maybe being able to help someone at some future point. my children. knowing that everything will be perfect in the future. knowing that there is no easy way out. thanks to God, not being a quitter/loser. my girlfriend. other people I know (I guess that'd be 'responsibilities'). weed. hash. espresso. energy drinks. black tea. the probability of being able to witness a funky end time show.
The following 4 users Like meltbanana's post:
  • Vytas, Trenton, Thy Unveiling, Scimitar

10-01-2015, 07:34 AM #4
Goku
Chaplain
I'm a simple man.

The fact that I'm human and alive keeps me going.

Having family and friends reinforces my reason to live - but at heart, I'm glad 'I am'. (Even if this is not the 'real' me or the end of my journey)

Having the ability of Human cognition which allows me to think about what was, what is and what will/can be also encourages me to keep living.

Honestly, the fact I'm human encourages me to live also, because we have the potential to do so many things on our tiny planet in this tiny Universe that other animals/organisms can't do, like Skydiving - so I'm grateful for that also.

Observing the world and seeing what others have done, their achievements and failures (which we learn from)  - even if they are in a worse position than me they still emit hope, the fact we never lose hope gives me faith in my species and also encourages myself to do the same - therefore giving me reason to live.

Everyone is different.

I'd hope everybody on this forum is grateful for their life but also has reasons to keep them going.

Nobody should want to die when they are young and healthy.
This post was last modified: 10-01-2015, 09:04 AM by Goku.
The following 6 users Like Goku's post:
  • Chief Commander, The Creeper, Trenton, Thy Unveiling, Scimitar, Kung Fu

10-01-2015, 08:44 AM #5
Kung Fu
Chaplain
(10-01-2015, 07:34 AM)Goku Wrote:  I'm a simple man.

The fact that I'm human and alive keeps me going.

This. Just the blessing of being alive and healthy is enough for me to keep on going.

Prophet Muhammad (SallAllahu alaihi wasalam) said:

"My similitude and that of the life of this world is that of a traveler who took a rest at mid-day under a shade of a tree and then left it."       (Ahmad, at-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah and al-Hakim)

The following 7 users Like Kung Fu's post:
  • Vytas, Chief Commander, The Creeper, Trenton, Thy Unveiling, Goku, Scimitar

10-01-2015, 10:01 AM #6
Scimitar
Grand Commander
Did someone mention ice cream? Big Grin

Out beyond ideas
of wrong-doing,

and right-doing,

there is a field...

...I'll meet you there.
€

Jalaluddin Rumi
The following 7 users Like Scimitar's post:
  • Vytas, The Creeper, Goku, Trenton, Thy Unveiling, umphreak, meltbanana

10-01-2015, 12:14 PM #7
Kung Fu
Chaplain
(10-01-2015, 10:01 AM)Scimitar Wrote:  Did someone mention ice cream? Big Grin

Had ice cream yesterday with caramel, pecans, and chocolate syrup in it and it was delicious.

Prophet Muhammad (SallAllahu alaihi wasalam) said:

"My similitude and that of the life of this world is that of a traveler who took a rest at mid-day under a shade of a tree and then left it."       (Ahmad, at-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah and al-Hakim)

The following 7 users Like Kung Fu's post:
  • Vytas, Scimitar, Chief Commander, The Creeper, Goku, Trenton, Thy Unveiling

10-01-2015, 01:37 PM #8
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
Nice replies.

KF one more post to go, congratulations!

I'll share mine later when I'm not multi-tasking on the loo Tongue (I'm not "going", but its awkward balancing a phone, lighter, and pipe. Medicine is one thing that helps get me through the day and be more calm)

There's only one true judge and that's God; so chill and let Our Father do His job
The following 5 users Like Thy Unveiling's post:
  • Vytas, Scimitar, Chief Commander, The Creeper, Trenton

10-02-2015, 03:37 AM #9
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
Pretty simple myself. Medicine is one thing that helps. Not like a huge addict or anything. It just helps keep me balanced and also makes me eat. I'll sometimes go days on end not eating then wonder why I feel weak and dizzy.

The people I love most keep me going. Especially my kids and my Special Someone. They are my heart and part of my very being. Their pain is my pain.

Iced caps have lured me out of insane mental breaks. My mom may not have a great bedside manner, but she's definitely learned how to snap me out of a breakdown. "Do you want to come to Tim's and get an iced cap? I'm buying." Always manages to make me wipe away the years and get up from whatever corner I slumped into.

Having a clean, or at least tidy, home makes this girl happy.

Random things. The mysterious sidewalk chalk messenger around here leaves nice messages. Their most recent was sad, about 9 less fortunate natives dying. The people who leave scarves and stuff out for others in need. Whoever wrote the "graffiti" in the bathroom stall that is my av. Little acts and messages of love and kindness (even when not necessarily directed at me) make me very happy. Proof the world isn't all crap. Some days its hard not to feel discouraged. Then you go to the bank to see how broke you really are and see scarves tied to poles by the street center, or go to use a public restroom and read the most beautiful message. Hard to not smile at such things.

I think I'm pretty easy to please. Some exes might say otherwise Wink

The following 4 users Like Thy Unveiling's post:
  • Scimitar, The Creeper, Goku, Trenton

10-02-2015, 03:52 AM #10
Trenton
Justiciar
(10-01-2015, 12:14 PM)Kung Fu Wrote:  
(10-01-2015, 10:01 AM)Scimitar Wrote:  Did someone mention ice cream? Big Grin

Had ice cream yesterday with caramel, pecans, and chocolate syrup in it and it was delicious.

I had a delicious twist cone from Braum's yesterday! It made me happy Smile

I know you're coming in the night like a thief, but I've had some time alone, to hone my lying technique. I know you think that I'm someone you can trust, but I'm scared I'll get scared, and I swear I'll try to nail you back up. So do you think that we could work out a sign, so I'll know it's you and that it's over so I won't even try? I know you're coming for the people like me. We've all got wood and nails, turned out in a hate factory.
The following 5 users Like Trenton's post:
  • Kung Fu, Scimitar, The Creeper, Thy Unveiling, Goku