#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Bad Atheists!!!

09-26-2015, 07:01 PM #1
Robert Baird
Justiciar
It appears that Tegmark has been interpreted in a supportive role towards religion because he envisions issues facing humanity which necessitate unity between science and religion. Good for Max - bad atheists I agree.

Still I do not think he sees how science including William Dembski, who the Creationists have embraced falsely (and vilified falsely at Baylor for not being Christian enough) and Intelligent Design are not so far apart.

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com...r-stenger/

10-23-2015, 02:51 PM #2
Scimitar
Grand Commander
Over the past 10 years, a small industry has developed pitting religious people against secular people and vice versa. Preachers, like Mike Huckabee, claim that unbelievers are waging a war against American values, by which they mean Christian values. And militant atheists, like Christopher Hitchens or Richard Dawkins, have pinned responsibility for more or less every human failing in history on the evils of faith. It would seem, at least from the outside, that religion and science are continuing a longstanding cultural war.

Fortunately, new research from the Pew Research Center has shown that it's mostly a phoney war. The sense of a public conflict has indeed grown over the past decade:

"A majority of the public says science and religion often conflict, with nearly six-in-ten adults (59 percent) expressing this view in newly released findings from a Pew Research Center survey. The share of the public saying science and religion are often in conflict is up modestly from 55 percent in 2009." - Pew Research Center

But when you ask individuals whether they feel, in their own inner lives and in their beliefs, a strong sense of conflict between religious and scientific understandings of the world, they feel it less and less.

"The share of all adults who perceive a conflict between science and their own religious beliefs has declined somewhat in recent years, from 36 percent in 2009 to 30 percent in 2014. Among those who are affiliated with a religion, the share of people who say there is a conflict between science and their personal religious beliefs dropped from 41 percent to 34 percent during this period." - Pew Research Center

While the sense that religion and science are at odds in society keeps growing, the tension in people's lives is diminishing. The Pew researchers conclude that "people's sense that there generally is a conflict between religion and science seems to have less to do with their own religious beliefs than it does with their perceptions of other people's beliefs."

The conflict is manufactured for the amusement of people who indulge in outrage for entertainment. In the quiet moments of introspection, conflict and outrage dissipate.

The new Pew research generally corresponds to what might otherwise be called common sense. In daily life, in the life we actually lead, people with faith and people who have no faith mostly get along perfectly fine. The truth which the militant atheists and the militant preachers haven't figured out is that the distinction that matters isn't between the faithful and the faithless but between assholes and those who aren't assholes. And of course, being an asshole has very little to do with how you believe the universe or the human species came into existence. It has much more to do whether you believe in things like culture wars in the first place.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a39...on-ending/

*silently hopes the bigots of this forum read this.

Scimi

Out beyond ideas
of wrong-doing,

and right-doing,

there is a field...

...I'll meet you there.
€

Jalaluddin Rumi
The following 4 users Like Scimitar's post:
  • Tarikko, celle76, Loki, Todd

10-23-2015, 03:35 PM #3
Annonymous Damsel
Marshall
Robert,weren't you banned?? Undecided
The following 2 users Like Annonymous Damsel's post:
  • Tarikko, Scimitar

10-23-2015, 03:49 PM #4
Hex
Wanderer
(10-23-2015, 03:35 PM)Annonymous Damsel Wrote:  Robert,weren't you banned?? Undecided
Posted: "Sunday, 27th September, 2015, 12:01 AM".

Scimi just so happened to bump his thread up. I'm sure that was intentional ;-).

"We check and repress the divinity that stirs within us, to fall down and worship the divinity that is dead without us."
--  Henry David Thoreau, 1851

My Site: www.intelligentinfinity.net

The following 2 users Like Hex's post:
  • Annonymous Damsel, Scimitar

10-23-2015, 03:56 PM #5
Scimitar
Grand Commander
Indeed - poor old robert, coulda found a friend in me if he wasn't just such a sod... I actually found some of his threads majorly interesting, and even told him so, contributed information etc, and picked his brains for info - but nooooo - he didn't want to converse with me because I am one of those Moozlums Big Grin

Bet he's kicking himself right now... that is, if he hasn't kicked that proverbial bucket yet! Wink

Scimi
This post was last modified: 10-23-2015, 03:57 PM by Scimitar.

Out beyond ideas
of wrong-doing,

and right-doing,

there is a field...

...I'll meet you there.
€

Jalaluddin Rumi
The following 3 users Like Scimitar's post:
  • Annonymous Damsel, Tarikko, celle76

10-24-2015, 03:22 PM #6
Annonymous Damsel
Marshall
Hahahahahahahahaha he will be back with another user name.Just you wait and see.Hes gonna make it obvious that hes back by posting 10 threads in 30 minutes Undecided
The following 2 users Like Annonymous Damsel's post:
  • Scimitar, Tarikko

10-25-2015, 10:07 AM #7
Scimitar
Grand Commander
As the title suggest - there are good hearted atheists too, let's not forget that.

Sorry Robert ole chap, if you're reading this (and anyone else who sponsors the same as robert) I have to present the polarised narrative, and then reconcile the virtues of each argument in order to come to any understanding.

And having said that, I will say the following - there are good and bad people in the world... some are religious, others are irreligious - we cannot paint any one group of people as inherently evil, because people do change over time - on a very individual level, judgement of a group can really destroy ones life because stereotypes which remain unproven become the norm in society.

take for example, how BME groups in the West have a harder time getting the same jobs despite being more qualified and experienced... so when someone claims there are bad atheists and then starts a thread about it - I cannot out of good conscience just sit idly by and let it ride - a part of me, a very Muslim part of me in fact, wants to stand up and say "Hey, You - why are you causing trouble man?"

Thankfully for us, elvis has left the building Big Grin

Scimi

Out beyond ideas
of wrong-doing,

and right-doing,

there is a field...

...I'll meet you there.
€

Jalaluddin Rumi
The following 1 user Likes Scimitar's post:
  • Tarikko