#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums

Beingness, Humanity and Religiosity

09-23-2015, 12:17 AM #1
Robert Baird
What is a human? There is a very wide gulf of responses from almost every level of society. In every demographic there is a common core beginning point perhaps - but upon deeper analysis those commonality usually disintegrate in acceptance of what the individual finds easy to get by with, due to social or religious concerns. Bill Maher's movie Religiosity is fun to see but very a propos. I hope this link is active - enjoy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kno1HskpWKM

Sartre and Husserl or Heidegger can explore Beingness and humanity for the more erudite. I prefer Krishnamurti and Zen but I see good in most psychological modalities - even Skinner. Here is Sartre according to an online philosophy site.

"Sartre’s ontology is explained in his philosophical masterpiece, Being and Nothingness, where he defines two types of reality which lie beyond our conscious experience: the being of the object of consciousness and that of consciousness itself. The object of consciousness exists as "in-itself," that is, in an independent and non-relational way. However, consciousness is always consciousness “of something,” so it is defined in relation to something else, and it is not possible to grasp it within a conscious experience: it exists as "for-itself." An essential feature of consciousness is its negative power, by which we can experience "nothingness." This power is also at work within the self, where it creates an intrinsic lack of self-identity. So the unity of the self is understood as a task for the for-itself rather than as a given."

This post was last modified: 09-23-2015, 12:17 AM by Robert Baird.