#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
The Mindset of Humanity and The Harsh Reality of Doing Things

09-20-2015, 03:38 PM #1
HongKongHoward
Marshall
In this post I would like to comment on living things' (specifically human beings) propensity to "do things".

Also, in the same stroke I'll comment on the modern mindset behind doing things in general.

In today's world, people rush all over the place to and fro desperate to get more and more things done during a day. Whether it's picking your kids up from school or flying to Japan to seal a huge business deal.

Thing is, if you ask most people why they are doing the things they do, they will most likely shrug and give you the vague answer that everybody has to eat (or something to that effect).

Does anybody really question why we do what we do? Does anybody question why we assume that doing more and more everyday is a good thing?

This is a nod to sPEK's thread about good intentions.

The simple truth is that most people (myself included) go through their day to day lives simply doing things. Doctors, scientists, chefs, military leaders, politicians, and everybody else keep society "progressing" because of a worldwide artificial economic system that keeps the wheels turning and distracts folks with relating why they do things to the bigger picture by providing a surrogate "bigger picture" (ie. money and fame).

How can anybody be sure that what they are doing is the right thing, when the society you live in is only concerned with the well being of a small group of people?

I will sum up what I mean with a metaphor. My view of society is that it is alike to the "Charge of the Light Brigade". We stumble forward everyday coming into conflict with anything that gets in our way. Though why would you charge your brigade forward unto certain death when (if a little thought was put into it) you could back off and spend the next several months harrying the enemy supply chain? (survival is a soldier's most important skill)

This is especially apparent in the scientific and technological world. People who develop new technology probably do so with the best intentions (they want to improve quality of life by finding a solution to some issue). But anyone who is familiar with the concept of The Great Filter knows that scientific and technological progress as fast as possible isn't always the smartest thing. If a civilization's technological achievements outstrip their philosophical achievement then obviously that civilization will not have the maturity to use that technology in a constructive way.

This is what has been happening all throughout human history. Historically the most important inventions have been the ones that could be used to kill people more efficiently. Why is this? It's because there are so many conflicting belief systems systems around the world that put people in a position where they have to use new technology to keep their ideology from dying (at the expense of the other, of course).

This creates a "monkey with a machine gun" effect that ends up maximizing destruction and minimizing humanitarian thought. Thing is, even people who want to make righteous decisions find that they cannot, simply because of the horde of barbarians that have acquired advanced technology and don't want to take the time to learn how to use it respectfully.  

Cars are probably the best example (other than nuclear weapons). Whenever I get into the car I try to remember that I am assuming control of a two tonne death machine that has the potential to really f**k somebody's day up. I use this thought to remind myself to drive defensively. However,  when I see people weaving in and out of lanes, cutting people off, speeding and other deviant driving behaviors all I can think is "that guy is being very irresponsible right now". This is regardless of his intentions (maybe he really needed to get to work on time to not let his workmates down, or maybe he was late picking his daughter up from dance practice or whatever). Both of those examples are examples of people with good intentions driving dangerously and irresponsibly.

My point is that maybe this is why aliens haven't officially contacted us yet. They developed technology that was too advanced for them to use responsibly and they destroyed themselves (see latter section of The Great Filter). Just look at what happened when the nuclear bomb was developed. The United States almost immediately decided to drop the bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima despite the certainty that hundreds of thousands of people would die. You might say: "well they had to, the war wouldn't have stopped if they didn't", but you could also say that the entire war (and indeed every war) is merely the result of a simple ideological conflict getting out of hand and the ensuing abuse of technology.

Full steam ahead is not always the best way to do things, and never do things just for the sake of doing them. Your afternoon is better spent with a book than launching missiles across state lines.

"You can find in a text whatever you bring, if you will stand between it and the mirror of your imagination. You may not see your ears, but they will be there." - Moral, by the Cat
The following 8 users Like HongKongHoward's post:
  • Trenton, peacebeuponall, Bruh, Goku, Anna, Hex, Thy Unveiling, The Creeper

09-20-2015, 04:29 PM #2
The Creeper
Chaplain
You are onto something HongKongHoward.

I try to keep myself busy, because I get bored otherwise, I used to have some nasty habits (I probably still have a few) and I am trying to create better habits and learn new skills, attain more knowledge. There is an old saying that "idle hands do the devils work" and I think there is some degree of truth to this.

That said, I love kicking back and taking it easy as well Cool

The only reason I want money is because everyone else uses it. Dodgy

The sad truth is... people are fucking stupid man.. I know this for a fact because I am one of them Tongue

If I had my way, I would grow my own food, build my own little shack, raise my own animals, smoke a bit of green, watch the sun rise and set while thinking about how beautiful the universe is and just generally live in peace and happiness while you savages bomb the fuck out of each other for stupid and petty reasons. Well, a lot of the people here are not that bad, I wouldn't mind if they wanted to come with me and we could all help each other out and make life easier. Smile

I gave up on humanity and this world a long time ago. Im waiting for the next one we were promised (hopefully the good one) because it is better and the greatest idiots in the world wont be there... Thank God we are not immortal.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool – William Shakespear
The following 7 users Like The Creeper's post:
  • Trenton, anteater, peacebeuponall, Anna, Tarikko, Thy Unveiling, meltbanana

09-20-2015, 05:32 PM #3
meltbanana
Chaplain
(09-20-2015, 03:38 PM)HongKongHoward Wrote:  The simple truth is that most people (myself included) go through their day to day lives simply doing things.

that (among the first part of your post) is correct. and that's why they need an external impulse. something or someone must happen. from a christian pov for example they must be informed of what the real deal is. as for the rest of your post - forget it. and there are no flying saucer aliens.

09-20-2015, 05:42 PM #4
Robert Baird
Justiciar
We are immortal in that our soul is part of something larger than our ego or persona. IMHO and almost every religion and discipline on this planet which even science is now able to utilize (see Futurescape on the World Mind).

That Sangsara or busy-ness can be part of fulfillment of Divine Providential potential if we are operating from close proximity to the collective Jung and others tell us about.

But there are days when I wistfully wait to see on the parapets or Stupas at Angkor Watt and just `see`.

(09-20-2015, 04:29 PM)The Creeper Wrote:  You are onto something HongKongHoward.

I try to keep myself busy, because I get bored otherwise, I used to have some nasty habits (I probably still have a few) and I am trying to create better habits and learn new skills, attain more knowledge. There is an old saying that "idle hands do the devils work" and I think there is some degree of truth to this.

That said, I love kicking back and taking it easy as well  Cool

The only reason I want money is because everyone else uses it. Dodgy

The sad truth is... people are fucking stupid man.. I know this for a fact because I am one of them  Tongue

If I had my way, I would grow my own food, build my own little shack, raise my own animals, smoke a bit of green, watch the sun rise and set while thinking about how beautiful the universe is and just generally live in peace and happiness while you savages bomb the fuck out of each other for stupid and petty reasons. Well, a lot of the people here are not that bad, I wouldn't mind if they wanted to come with me and we could all help each other out and make life easier.  Smile  

I gave up on humanity and this world a long time ago. Im waiting for the next one we were promised (hopefully the good one) because it is better and the greatest idiots in the world wont be there... Thank God we are not immortal.

09-21-2015, 06:17 AM #5
Anna
Knight
(09-20-2015, 04:29 PM)The Creeper Wrote:  The only reason I want money is because everyone else uses it.

(09-20-2015, 05:42 PM)Robert Baird Wrote:  That Sangsara or busy-ness can be part of fulfillment of Divine Providential potential if we are operating from close proximity to the collective Jung and others tell us about.
HongKongHoward, it looks like subconsciously you feel, that you shouldn't do some things from the long list. Maybe you need to sit quietly and analize, what it is, and then exclude it from the list.
The following 1 user Likes Anna's post:
  • Robert Baird

09-21-2015, 08:06 AM #6
Robert Baird
Justiciar
Dear Anna

Would that mean a person sees what is worth doing and does only that which they know makes or creates a benefit.

09-21-2015, 09:06 AM #7
Goku
Chaplain
Sorry to be Mr. Obvious but I'd say the root of it all is survival.

Surviving financially in turn allows for survival overall in this society/world which we have created, hence terms such as 'I do it to keep the food on the table/ I do it to keep a roof over our heads' exist.

The main problem is everyone is doing what is EXPECTED of them, very few are doing what they WANT.

This is both a good and bad thing, if everybody had a job that fulfilled them and they enjoyed there probably wouldn't be any toilet cleaners, bin men, sewage workers etc which our society needs to keep the proverbial cogs turning with as few problems as possible.

Of course we should think before we act but we should also ensure we enjoy the actions we make, if you don't - make it a positive action by applying something you deem positive to that action I.e. A car journey to work could be negative if you have a lot of traffic to go through but by putting on an album of your choice and singing at the top of your lungs you will surely enjoy getting work.
The following 6 users Like Goku's post:
  • Anna, Trenton, Thy Unveiling, The Creeper, Kung Fu, khadeejah

09-21-2015, 11:04 AM #8
Kung Fu
Chaplain
(09-21-2015, 09:06 AM)Goku Wrote:  Of course we should think before we act but we should also ensure we enjoy the actions we make, if you don't - make it a positive action by applying something you deem positive to that action I.e. A car journey to work could be negative if you have a lot of traffic to go through but by putting on an album of your choice and singing at the top of your lungs you will surely enjoy getting work.

There's way too much positivity in this post.

Prophet Muhammad (SallAllahu alaihi wasalam) said:

"My similitude and that of the life of this world is that of a traveler who took a rest at mid-day under a shade of a tree and then left it."       (Ahmad, at-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah and al-Hakim)

The following 2 users Like Kung Fu's post:
  • Goku, Thy Unveiling

09-21-2015, 01:06 PM #9
HongKongHoward
Marshall
(09-21-2015, 11:04 AM)Kung Fu Wrote:  There's way too much positivity in this post.

Yeah there is, especially since the existence of sociopaths (people who know the difference between good and evil, but choose to do evil regardless) guarantees that technology and human life will be abused and continue to be abused.

And the worst part is, sociopaths are the demographic of people most likely to seek out (and eventually possess)  new and deadly technologies that they can use to control and abuse the populace according to their own personal desires.

Of course all of this is not black and white in the real world.

"You can find in a text whatever you bring, if you will stand between it and the mirror of your imagination. You may not see your ears, but they will be there." - Moral, by the Cat
The following 4 users Like HongKongHoward's post:
  • Goku, Thy Unveiling, The Creeper, Robert Baird

09-22-2015, 02:28 AM #10
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
Surely there's good sociopaths in the world. We're not all so bad Wink

Whoops...
The following 4 users Like Thy Unveiling's post:
  • Goku, Anna, Trenton, The Creeper