#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
What is love?

09-18-2015, 10:10 PM #1
The Creeper
Chaplain
Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me no more...

(just in case anyone didn't get the referance above)

In all seriousness though I am asking a genuine question.

I know we can discuss some serious things on this site, the NWO conspiracy (and the sinister motives behind it) and heavy religious debates and stuff.

Some of us may have a grim view about love (like myself, sometimes) but I thought this might turn out to be one of those "feel good" threads that I think we all could use sometimes. Seeing as its 3am where I live im just going to make this thread then go to bed and check it out later. I hope everyone enjoys the discussion this thread might start.

Salam/peace

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool – William Shakespear
The following 6 users Like The Creeper's post:
  • Sidhuriel, Scimitar, Trenton, Anna, Tarikko, Thy Unveiling

09-18-2015, 10:16 PM #2
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
Haha! That song was in my head the second I saw the title!

Could never hurt you Tongue

Some might say God is love. Others might think its just a chemical reaction in the brain.

I kinda already shared my thoughts on this in one of Flix's threads, and in pm.

Heart

Glad you started this. Should be interesting.
The following 5 users Like Thy Unveiling's post:
  • Scimitar, Trenton, Tarikko, MaryJane, The Creeper

09-18-2015, 10:29 PM #3
That1kid
Marshall
From experience I can tell you this, your heart may feel like it's in Love, or in other words, you may think you're in Love and in most cases, you're not. As a Christian, I know God is Love. Your own heart can deceive you and I learned that lesson the hard way.

Quote:Jeremiah 17:9

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
This post was last modified: 09-18-2015, 10:31 PM by That1kid.

Matthew 6:34
"Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is it's own trouble."
The following 3 users Like That1kid's post:
  • MissMiami, meltbanana, MaryJane

09-18-2015, 10:33 PM #4
MaryJane
Marshall
I wish I knew. 3 years with a guy and I still don't know. I work hard, had 3 jobs at one point, in the time we've been together he had a job maybeeee 8 months. And yet I'M the problem. I only have one job right now so "I'm not making enough" I realize he is bipolar, so I cut him some slack, but he won't do me the same. I'm ALWAYS doing something wrong. I also realize I have my own set of issues, I'm very forgetful, he likes to hold that over my head. When he gets manic he screams at me for hours, I try to leave him alone til he's calmed. It gets bad sometimes.....I put up with it because I have nowhere else to go, and honestly I don't want to be alone. I'm sorry this really wasn't the answer you are looking for, I just needed to get that off my chest. In theory I guess love is patient and unselfish. It's teamwork, genuinely caring about another person SO much, you'd do anything for them, and they would help you chase your dreams, and you their's.
The following 4 users Like MaryJane's post:
  • The Creeper, Trenton, Anna, Thy Unveiling

09-19-2015, 12:36 AM #5
justjess
Chaplain
Love is when another person feels like home.
The following 5 users Like justjess's post:
  • Scimitar, The Creeper, Trenton, Anna, Thy Unveiling

09-19-2015, 12:39 AM #6
Robert Baird
Justiciar
I favor many perspectives on the concept we call LOVE.

Sartre said "Love is absent space"> And if you have been truly in love you are together when you are apart. If you learn how you will know this more than some cute saying suggests. His relationship with Simone de Beauvoir suggests he knew what he was talking about. He was also a person who passes another test for LOVE. He turned down the huge money and acclaim of the Nobel Prize because an armaments maker and his money was tainted with the blood of many lives.

If you love - really love anything you do not do it for power or gain - you do it with RIGHT THOUGHT and you thus do RIGHT ACTION.

Kahlil Gibran said: "There are those who as in yonder valley the myrtle breathes it's fragrance to the air. These are the children of God and through them he smiles upon the Earth."

It is difficult to be honest and live in this world of hypocritical people and a paradigm teaching lies. So we lose our innocence (sp?) too soon and become wise too late.
This post was last modified: 09-19-2015, 12:40 AM by Robert Baird.
The following 4 users Like Robert Baird's post:
  • The Creeper, Trenton, Anna, Thy Unveiling

09-19-2015, 01:17 AM #7
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
MJ, my door and home are always open to fellow users with good hearts. I'm in Canada, so if you're not that may complicate things. Anyhow, pm me if you ever want to vent or trust a stranger over the internet
The following 2 users Like Thy Unveiling's post:
  • The Creeper, MaryJane

09-19-2015, 08:34 AM #8
mrgrimm
Marshall
I would go as far as saying there are different levels of love.

I love my wife, I love my mom, and I love my dogs, but the love I have for my daughter is on a whole different level.

I know there are valid arguments for and against having children but I am very glad that I do have one child that has shown me a deep understanding of love in this life.

I also feel there is a kind of love from God, which is so great it is pretty much beyond our understanding.
This post was last modified: 09-19-2015, 08:35 AM by mrgrimm.
The following 5 users Like mrgrimm's post:
  • The Creeper, Trenton, MaryJane, Thy Unveiling, Anna

09-19-2015, 09:27 AM #9
Hex
Wanderer

"We check and repress the divinity that stirs within us, to fall down and worship the divinity that is dead without us."
--  Henry David Thoreau, 1851

My Site: www.intelligentinfinity.net

The following 6 users Like Hex's post:
  • Loki, eyeswideshut, The Creeper, Trenton, MaryJane, Thy Unveiling

09-19-2015, 11:13 AM #10
meltbanana
Chaplain
(09-19-2015, 08:34 AM)mrgrimm Wrote:  I would go as far as saying there are different levels of love.

I love my wife, I love my mom, and I love my dogs, but the love I have for my daughter is on a whole different level.

I know there are valid arguments for and against having children but I am very glad that I do have one child that has shown me a deep understanding of love in this life.

I also feel there is a kind of love from God, which is so great it is pretty much beyond our understanding.

The love that came with your child, that's real love. The rest might be love but it might also be something else.
The following 3 users Like meltbanana's post:
  • The Creeper, mrgrimm, Trenton