#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums

Catharism - true Christians

09-17-2015, 01:15 AM #1
Robert Baird

With the revival of Catharism you can glimpse why the Church was forced to kill them all - men, women and children in one day totalled 250,000 singing their hymns to the living love of Jesus. They made women the equal of men and taught how sex could be for both sexes as well as what could be learned through it and it's responsibilities. They gave free education and medicine and thrived for over a century with the help of the Illuminati (De Medicis) and Templars. Perhaps what bothered the Inquisitorial minded Church hateful types is they wanted ecumenicism and an end to war against Muslims and Jews. Many Sufis, and Jews (including Columbus's family) were Cathars.

Jesus was A Hippie

Actually he was more appropriately called a Cynic, but that kind of free-thinking humanist is indeed kin to being a Hippie. The Cynics were a school of thought or religious approach to intellectual understanding which many more modern hippies seem to emulate.

Jesus may have been a zealot seeking to establish a country or kingdom like David (his ancestor) or he may have harkened back to a time when Brotherhood existed, as most Cynics really saw must happen. Seneca and all the other rich or poor Cynics clearly saw man must think and learn for himself, or else things would continue to grow ever more class and racially differentiated. I think Jesus had the Gnostic training of ecumenism and was not into the Kingdom of Israel zealotry as much as he was against Rome and Empire in general, even if he was a zealot at some point in his life. I also think Plato was no where near as elitist or Fascist as his succeeding philosophic school up to Hegel and Fukayama today have become. In fact I think Plato would have preferred universal education and enablement of citizens as the foundation for his Republic. But let's be real! Even today it is hard to find interested and open-minded 'thinkers'."

Easy answers sought to explain what humanity has feared or regarded through superstition as 'gods', are not the kind of things that allowed adepts to know themselves and their soul. The structures of power and priestly prevarications are rife even in the halls of supposed fair and academic institutions. Pardon me for disagreeing with the likes of Fukayama and others who would have us believe in 'absolute' religions of any form. As a human with the ability to consciously apprehend his or her environment; we must all eschew these black and white answers that our education has expected us to regurgitate in order to get better grades.

Maybe the noted Jesus scholar from DePaul University can shed a little light on Jesus and his Cynical accoutrements and inclinations. I suggest and recommend reading his many books on Jesus who was (like most of us) incarnated in a variety of different groups and beliefs during his time on earth.

" There were three main philosophic attitudes in the Classical world. They were Stoic, Epicure and Cynic. It is important to see the way Jesus dresses in the accounts of the myth and to know there is veracity in these myths. Here are some words from Farrand Sayre which will help set this idea in perspective.

"The Cynics sought happiness through freedom. The Cynic conception of freedom included freedom from desires, from fear {Again the all important Keltic Creed is here.}, anger, grief and other emotions, from religious or moral control, from the authority of the city or state or public officials, from regard for public opinion and freedom from the care and support of wives and children {Not to suggest Mary Magdala required support due to her family wealth, which is certain if she was the daughter of Joseph of Arimathaea.}... The Cynics scoffed at the customs and observances of others, but were rigid in observance of their own. The Cynic would not appear anywhere without his wallet, staff and cloak, which must invariably be worn, dirty and ragged and worn so as to leave the right shoulder bare. He never wore shoes and his hair and beard were long and unkempt."

Knowing Jesus is a Cynic or at least was one for much of his life, we are asked to consider how this might be. I hope there is merit in evaluating the people he would have been associated with. I think Jesus was a lot like Seneca who was one of Thomas Jefferson's great inspirations. Here we find Crossan detailing some of this matter.

"'By the middle of the first century of our era, elements of the Cynic and Stoic tenets were fairly well merged,'
according to Cora Lutz, 'in the teachings of the popular philosophers'. Cynicism was founded by Diogenes of Sinope, who lived from about 400 to about 320 B.C.E. and was born on the mid-southern coast of the Black Sea {Where Pont of Phoenicia had been.} The term itself comes from kyon, the Greek word for dog, and it was used of Diogenes by Aristotle, as if quoting a well-known nickname. It was originally a derogatory term for the provocative shamelessness with which Diogenes deliberately flouted basic human codes of propriety and decency, custom and convention, doing as the third-century historian of philosophy Diogenes Laertius delicately puts it, 'everything in public, the works of Demeter and Aphrodite alike' (6.69; Hicks 2.70-71). Stoicism was founded by Zeno of Citium, who lived from about 333 to 264 B.C.E. and was born on the southeastern coast of Cyprus. That title comes, more demurely, from the Athenian agora's Stoa Poikile, where Zeno taught for many years. Both philosophies sought the happiness of inner freedom and personal self-sufficiency, but where Stoicism found it in detachment from the world, Cynicism found it in abandonment of the world. Insofar as they interacted together, and especially on the popular level, Cynicism was practical and radical Stoicism; Stoicism was theoretical and moderate Cynicism. Take for example, the case of Seneca.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca - Seneca the Younger - Stoic philosopher, author, and multimillionaire, lived between about 4 B.C.E. and 65 B.C.E. As tutor to Nero, his responsibility for the imperial virtue and vice remained somewhat ambiguous, but he was, in the end, ordered to commit suicide for alleged participation in the anti-Neronic conspiracy headed by Gaius Calpurnius Piso. Despite his extreme wealth, he was greatly influenced by the Cynic philosopher Demetrius, who lived in his household during the years between 51 and 65 C.E. when Seneca was composing his Epistulae Morales, moral treatises fictionalized as letters to his friend Gaius Lucilius. One can see, for instance, the difference between the theoretical dispassion of the Stoic Seneca (I have but do not care) and the practical dispossession of the Cynic Demetrius (I do not have but do not care) in this story:

When Gaius Caesar [Caligula] wanted to give Demetrius two hundred thousand, he laughingly refused it, not even deeming it a sum the refusal of which was worth boasting about.... 'If he meant to tempt me.' said he. 'he ought to have tested me by offering me his whole kingdom.' (Seneca, De Beneficii 7:11; Basore et al. 3.482-483)" (1)

We can look at the words of Camus and the 'naturel ordre' of Rousseau that may have guided him and see there is something the Cynics and undoubtedly many before them perceived which is archetypical to humankind. Some would like us to believe we are naturally competitive and aggressive and there is some truth in that too. Civilized humankind has higher aspirations though. At least that is how a Hippie sees it. 'Make LOVE not War' was certainly a mainstay of the recent humanitarian effort and it binds many Goths, Beatniks and Hippies together. But this natural order is no simple thing wherein there is one obvious approach which makes sense to all people who seek good acts or results for the bulk of life on earth. I knew many Hippies felt confident that Jesus 'was just alright with' them and the man inspired them to act as he would. But there was no agreement from the Churchians to the most part.
This post was last modified: 09-17-2015, 01:18 AM by Robert Baird.

09-17-2015, 01:54 AM #2
Can't reply to all that.. Just wanted to say I have a great respect and admiration for the cathars and their beliefs and the way they lived.

09-17-2015, 11:55 AM #3
Robert Baird
Integrating Soul and Science

"Spirit is beyond the void of space. This realm, beyond the void, is not an empty nothingness; it is the womb of creation. -- Nature goes to the same place to create a galaxy of stars, a cluster of nebulas, a rain forest, a human body, or a thought... That place is Spirit." (1)

The idea of thought coming from Spirit is a little general and not something I agree with unless he means REAL thought rather than regurgitated thought. Deepak Chopra is a great and wonderful human being who escaped the material competitive focused world and the 'expertise' that was his, as a doctor. However, we have shown that science is getting dangerously close to finding templates and forms that mirror this kind of philosophy. The church felt science was philosophy and that all things came from this kind of godhead in the 'Dark Ages'; and scientists have justifiably thought any mention of a bridge to religion is fraught with these kinds of intellectual authoritarian terrors. Perhaps now we can re-evaluate our belief in godly forces and not involve religious or priestly interpreters who ask us to 'follow' like sheep. To replace one set of interpreters with another form of 'expertise' is not good. Surely there is a balance that harmonizes with purpose and true knowingness. I like the thought expressed by James Watson in his foreword to Discovering the Brain. He said, 'The brain boggles the mind.'. It is also true that a lot of the 'boggling' has been done by those saying they seek God.

The equipment based on Tesla's 'non-force info packets' that draws energy from a vacuum that Bearden has patented and the wireless transmission of generated energy will make perpetual motion seem tame. The real possibilities of using other dimensions as storage for energy we create could be just around the corner. Someday the barriers we have created in our real world through an ignorant adherence to conventions of black and white certainty will be brought down just like the Berlin Wall; we built it to keep ideas and people from each other.

I'm not cognizant of all the ins and outs of 'red-shifts' or other astrophysical esoterics so the generalities of my insights might not have as much merit. The exorcisms I've been involved in helping free both the possessed and possessor are part of the limbo state which energy exists in after death. Does this limbo state include the same energy band- width that our solar or auric body travels in? Not by experience of the astral work I've done. However, one can meet dead people in astral travel if one has a guide or the spirit is attuned that you are about to visit. That spirit would be a multi-dimensional traveler then. There are many shades and variations of spiritual bandwidths and it may be because there is so much more energy in the unseen world that the astrophysicists told us about earlier. Ninety-five per cent versus 5 per cent is a large ratio in favor of the unseen. The ultraviolet and light energies might even be part of the visible universe, which would mean we can only actually see a percentage of the material universe. And as big an issue as all of this kind of talk is, we still must consider whether or not we know what we see when it slaps us in the face, as they say.

The average person today will likely have their mind and senses closed to the opportunity that the thalami offer to accentuate, amplify and direct non-visual forces to our conscious processing centers. The operational paradigms of the spiritual world are a science unto themselves, and the astrophysicists may not have as good a picture as I hope they do. There are those I have met, who can travel between dimensions and we will deal with these aspects of life and natural possibilities versus hallucination in other parts of this book. But, if the modern research is right about the Thalami, I feel quite certain that all the dimensions are at our disposal in every aspect of our existence. When one remembers the way we thought about spirits and devils as we listened to the preachers who tried to tell us about HELL - it is difficult to open our minds to what they were saying about the saints who performed the very miracles that men and women have always been able to do.

We see that the Gospel of Thomas from the Dag (or Nag) Hammadi 'finds' confirms Jesus never performed any miracle that you or I can't do. We are all the 'children of God' (John 10:34). The dimensional spiritual world is science and real even if we are ignorant of it. That is what the Gnostics he studied with say is the 'Original Sin' that separates us from God - IGNORANCE! Scipio Africanus and others before and after the time of Jesus were used to seeing each other and the spirits of their loved ones alive or dead! In many instances there is potential to visualize the future and it will happen with proper INTENT. Bucky Fuller did it, and I have too. Some say the forces of darkness that created the Dark Age were able to re-program the world mind to the point that our ability was diminished by the evil they fomented. Energy of a negative nature does have to be attuned with good, in order for Abraxas or unity to occur, on the grand scale and as an individual. That is why selfish prayer is wasteful and one must operate in 'brotherhood' and love to come up with things like the geodesic dome or wireless 'free energy'. Still these things are on the shelf and few really know how great they are and how much better the world might be.

Microchemical potentials and observations are exciting corollaries to chaos science. The laws of universe are 'unfolding as they should' (Desiderata was a nice poem that Pierre Trudeau often quoted as Canada's Prime Minister when I was a young man.) 'whether or not it is clear' to us! There are always good things to learn when one looks at the work of these scientists. I especially enjoy those who are willing to do what Bucky Fuller described when he talked about 'stepping outside the circle' or 'biting his tongue' when he felt complacent in the knowledge he had in a particular area of deliberation. Professor Morowitz is a microbiologist and chemist at Yale University who we will show later as an example of what can happen when people think integratively and lose their ego. He also correctly observes that few of the physical sciences encourage this integration. Is it possible to have an answer when the questions are slanted to dovetail with only one perspective? We respectfully offer that no real truth has ever resulted from the need of any tenured or other 'expert' who sought power from his peers rather than enlightenment from 'ALL that is!'

What with genetics and the basic building blocks of matter becoming more apparent to researchers who are free of old philosophic rule by the church there is truly a dawning of a new age. The title of Prof. Morowitz's article in August of 1980's 'Psychology Today' was quite appropriate - 'Rediscovering The Mind'. As we continue to RE!-discover we might even know what is important 'within' our soul. Of course, my opinion is just 'post-modern democratized' ideology as Prof. Wiseman points out. No one person can know all things. He would be right, if he said that. But my response would be that we must all try to integrate rather than compartmentalize our knowledge. That leads to coping skills and application of thinking processes that produce a net creative improvement rather than agreement from those we 'hang with'!

It has been said that there is not much advancement in a civilization which has science separate from its belief system or religion to any great extent. I find a lot of physics in many religious writings throughout time and yet there are still a lot of controlling interests who promote sins and demons in these religions. Here is a little of the Dag or Nag Hammadi papyruses which the Gnostics (later Cathars) saved from the destroying Empire-builders. It is specifically from the Gospel of Mary which was mostly found before the end of the 19th Century.
"22) The Savior said, All nature, all formations, all creatures exist in and with one another, and they will be resolved again into their own roots.
23) For the nature of matter is resolved into the roots of its own nature alone.
24) He who has ears to hear, let him hear.
25) Peter said to him, Since you have explained everything to us, tell us this also: What is the sin of the world?
26) The Savior said There is no sin, but it is you who make sin when you do the things that are like the nature of adultery, which is called sin." (2)

A neuroscience forum which I was invited to has had many people respond to various postings without identifying themselves. I think some of that is because they have a reputation to protect or job they value. Here is one such response to a thread I started.

"Science is reductionist whereas mysticism is broadly integrative. It would seem that science and mysticism occupy anti-podal positions. They are both concerned with truth, yet go about it differently. Science seeks to objectively and mathematically describe truth, whereas mysticism seeks to experience truth. Science and mysticism are flip sides of the same coin. The greatest scientists have invariantly been deeply mystical. I'm tempted to say that the greatest mystics have invariantly been deeply scientific, or at least had an appreciation for science, but this I'm less certain of."

09-17-2015, 03:44 PM #4
Does the Holy Bible even dictate what a true Christian is any longer?

Prov 15:7 The lips of the wise disperse knowledge: but the heart of the foolish doeth not so.

09-17-2015, 06:11 PM #5
Robert Baird
There is no real Holy Bible - unless you are talking about something written in the land so full of holes from all the wars wrought by those who wrote the Hebrew Bible. Even that is a word you can debate - Pentateuch or other words apply.

The use of propaganda includes givng people the impression many things are Holy - for example the Holy Roman Empire. That has a lot of holes too - ass variety.

The exclusion of different people is how these books made great money and power for those empowered to put words in it or the mouths of the heroes in the faith. Usually those heroes fought against the Church before being made a Saint - eg. Yeshua and Francis of Assizi. Yeshua and his older brother called the Temple priests things like "inbred idiots".

Racism and war - that along with hatred for women (and worse in the case of Islam which is part of the same cult) is the major contribution of the religion you honor and espouse. Do you want some more quotes from the scripture or Councils to prove the point? Are you getting off on being "the harbinger of the Original Sin"?

Some women have adopted a masochistic life and enjoy being beaten though I have difficulty seeing how they can enjoy having their genitals sawed off - I guess they don't want any men after that - and that might be better than having those men.

09-20-2015, 03:56 AM #6
Robert Baird
The Huguenots and The Cathar Continuum   by Robert Bruce Baird
in Society / Politics    (submitted 2006-03-21)

Intro to a book by this name

The course of history and the history of any course teaching history are not even close to being connected due to the motivations of those who (of course) pay for the program. I hope to provide more than a history of dates or heroes who abused others or did well doing the bidding of elites. Those who sip tea and eat crumpets while young men show their mettle on the metal of other young men are not truly rich in what counts 'within'.

The Cathars are connected to the Gnostics, Jews, Sufis, Buddhists and other attempts to bring 'Brotherhood' back to the forefront. They are also connected with the Phocaean Tartessus alliance of the earlier Iberian corporate conglomerate. The region of their political influence alone would assure us that this is true. Even before the Phocaeans established the city we now call Marseilles near Rennes and its former Druidic University there was a connection with Casiberia and Thrace which I address in other books in great detail. This book will only touch upon that connection with the Bogomils and other Dragons but it will have to show what businesses made them all their wealth. Columbus, Nostradamus, Pascal and St. Germain are just a few of the many people we can see are greatly impacted by what happened to the Cathars. In fact we are all affected by these things and the Cathar approach still makes a lot of sense in areas of social management and education.

One of the books that started me thinking about the Huguenots and the lack of scholarship connecting them to the Cathars and other hermetic or Gnostic roots was a book called The Story of Port Royal. There are ports for ships and ships have been important in the annals of secret corporate trade since long before we are told men believed in some Flat Earth. A port is also an opening that can portal the seeker to find a door or 'duir' and the 'oaks' at places like Oak Island. Then there is the 'Royal' and royals who love their codes and games with places like Port Royal. The color purple once made a huge amount of money for the Phoenicians who found the purpura shell in Mexico and learned how to make the same 'Royal' purple color there that had required their Mediterranean henchmen to kill a lot of difficult to find Murex shellfish. Why is purple the Royal color? Does a purple aura and the spiritual significance it carries have anything to do with it? Why do people seek to enhance their spiritual 'power' if they are really interested in spirituality? Ah, yes; it can be a 'tangled web we weave when first we start to deceive'. I hope de-coding and using forensic tools to examine the acts of history is of interest to people who have been encouraged to find history boring. I am certain it is important if mankind is to continue to exist on Earth.

I have been talking about other hominids and early cultures thereof for many decades and things like this continue to support what I have written. Central Spain is not far from Rennes and was part of the Cathar region. The hominids this Reuters report touches upon might well be the people who became the Basque or Kelts. I do know that this kind of thing would have upset a lot of academics if Saunire had found it, but I cannot imagine them paying him to keep it quiet. Still it could be part of what he found in those stones he was collecting with Marie. Maybe these ancients had a technology that I still do not even know about.

"Scientists Find Possible New Human Species
May 29, 1997 12:41 PM EDT
MADRID (Reuter) - A group of Spanish scientists said Thursday they had discovered a new species of human beings in a 780,000-year-old fossil, possibly the oldest known European.
'We believe this is a new species that we have called Homo antecessor,' Jose Maria Bermudez de Castro of the Natural Museum of Natural Sciences in Madrid told a news conference.
'It's a species that we consider the common ancestor of modern humanity and the neandertals.'
Bermudez de Castro and a team of Spanish paleoanthropologists found the fossilised remains of a boy with a remarkably modern face in a cave in Spain's central Atapuerca mountains during an excavation from 1994 to 1996.
They said the unique combination of features, with a face like the modern Homo sapiens species and a jaw and brow similar to the extinct Neandertals, led them to name a new species, a finding to be published in the U.S. journal Science Friday.
The boy was discovered among a group of six people of almost modern height and bone size with a relatively advanced cognitive ability, as judged by the quality of tools found near them.
'This is clearly a very important new finding,' Richard Gallagher, European editor of Science, told reporters.
'These are bold, exciting proposals that already have the field buzzing.'
The Spanish team acknowledged that the decision to name a new species based on the reconstructed remains of just one boy -- the faces of the adults in the cave were not as markedly modern -- was controversial.
'We think we have enough information to define it in the proper sense of a new species,' said Antonio Rosas, a paleoanthropologist at the National Museum of Natural Sciences.
'But people are probably going to need some time to accommodate this proposal.' © Reuters Ltd. All rights reserved."

Yes, people will take time to accept facts when they have been fed fictions most of their lives. The longevity of human existence on earth has been greatly affected by such things as proposed in the Ussher Timeline which saw the Pope positioned at the center of the universe and many other equally ridiculous anthropomorphed or ego-driven ideologies. My father was a man who had read a large number of books in a wide variety of subjects so I was not inculcated with the same dogma and black and white answers provided for public consumption by the majority of Western schools and teachers who had been told the great scholars of the past were telling what they thought was truth based upon science and studious ontological or epistemological insight. One of the things he opened my eyes to was the Andalusians or Castilians and the variety of cultural influences the Moors of Alhambra or far earlier travelers had wrought in this wonderful culture and people. Andalusia is part of a far earlier cultural base called Tartessus and it borders on or was part of the Occitanian country or region of the Cathars. It includes the fabled city of Granada that one myth attributes its name to a daughter of Noah named Grana. Certainly the De Danaan like Hercules were here.

It might help the reader to consider the observations of these freedom-loving (anarchistic in some circles) through the eyes of a visitor to that region who intuits a far greater antiquity that he has not studied. Nicholas Luard lived there for eight years and he wrote a book called Andalucia. Here is a little from his foreword.

"When I first visited Andalucia I confess to my shame I barely even knew the region's name. To me it was simply a part of southern Spain famous chiefly as a tourist resort with winter sun. Then almost by accident I found myself living there. As I began to explore it I learned Andalucia is infinitely more than a tourist resort or even a region of Spain. It is a country all of its own, one of many proud and singular Spains and as different from the others as Wales or Scotland are from England. It has a long, fascinating and momentous past, a robust and extraordinarily rich culture, some of the finest monuments in Europe, a landscape of haunting beauty, a dazzling flora and wildlife, a people who are bold, witty, generous and vital. More than anything it has a way of treating life as a brimming cornucopia and celebrating it to the full unparalleled in my experience anywhere else in the world." (1)
This post was last modified: 09-20-2015, 03:58 AM by Robert Baird.

09-22-2015, 07:11 AM #7
Hmm, aren't cathars the ones who thought that all procreative sex was a sin?
And practiced, anal sex.
Nah, I will pass.
The following 2 users Like anne's post:
  • Riddler, meltbanana

09-22-2015, 11:01 AM #8
Robert Baird
Quoting genocidal maniacs is easy to do - but it does not make it true. Yes, the cathars practised sexual things which most people do - and at that time the sheep (not your kind) were busy critters. Check out the US laws about such things - probably some states still have them.

Catharism teaches against self-inflicted nonsense - SIN.

09-22-2015, 11:12 AM #9
(09-22-2015, 11:01 AM)Robert Baird Wrote:  Quoting genocidal maniacs is easy to do - but it does not make it true. Yes, the cathars practised sexual things which most people do - and at that time the sheep (not your kind) were busy critters. Check out the US laws about such things - probably some states still have them.

Catharism teaches against self-inflicted nonsense - SIN.

have you ever had sex? with a human female?
The following 1 user Likes meltbanana's post:
  • Riddler

09-22-2015, 11:43 AM #10
Robert Baird
Gurdjieff came to NYC as a celebrated guest. At the reception dinner he saw a lady he wanted and he simply breathed in a certain manner and she became ecstatic. Bhakti likely originated with the Sarman Brotherhood - Bhakti is a path through sex to union (yoga is that) with G-d. In sex you can join your souls through deep gazes into the left eye.

Here is a veritable treasure trove of research - click every link and learn how much religion is part of the occult - and vice versa.

See how books on Hitler (other than mine - Hitler and the Occult) miss what was most important. Gurdjieff is the likely source of the altered Swastika for example. You will have to read Morning of the Magicians covered herè. The Sufis go back to the Altaic region of Genghis Khan who was at the very least an adept of this same knowledge - which is why a top Taoist went to live with him just as Lao-Tsu went to meet the Ancient Masters near there as he approached his death.

Marx was correct when he said `Religion is the opium of the people.`

Lahiri Mahasy was the guru for Yogananda and his middle name is Sarman.

The knowledge in this one link impacts the Cathar - Sufi, the US government FDR and Wilson especially, the Iranian people and a potential future of them going back to roots which are non-theistic and spiritual, the whole cult of Western religion, the creation of Russia (Gurdjieff worked in the Czar`s secret service) etc.

The origin of spiritual growth amongst humans may begin in the Altaic Mountains before there were white people. Recent archaeology allows me to connect the dots with what I had written about the Urumchi red heads, DNN and Ainu as well as the Sarmoung which Gurdjieff claimed to have been a `speaker`or channeller for or from. Gurdjieff was no simple mystic he influenced Bernard Baruch and Frank Lloyd Wright who used occult means to affect FDR just as Woodrow Wilson had been impacted by Edward Mandell House. But Gurdjieff (Yes, I have a book on him) also influenced Hitler and Stalin probably lived with him for some time. (It is the homeland of Temujin and his alchemist forbears as well as the location of the Hindu origin site - I am one of the few who says this perhaps - Mt. Meru. I recommend Stan Tenen`s Meru Project to see a lot of esoteric origins as well.)

``From the Sarmoung, Gurdjieff learns the sacred dances, much like those of the Whirling Dervishes, which constitute an integral part of his “the work.” According to Gurdjieff’s leading student J. G. Bennett, who was head of British Military Intelligence in Istanbul and his friend Idries Shah (1924-1996), the popular author of Sufism, Gurdjieff’s “Fourth Way” originated with the Khwajagan, a chain of Naqshbandi Sufi Masters from the tenth to the sixteenth century influenced by Central Asian shamanism. According to Bennett, the Sufis are the descendants and spiritual heirs of the old master magicians of Altai, where Central Asia has been their heartland for forty thousand years or more.

As Bennett relates, the Sarmoun became active in the rise of Zoroastrianism, and he connects the influence of the Magi to the Essenes.10 Gurdjieff believed that the true teachings of Jesus Christ were corrupted by the Christian Church, but that a small group of initiates called the “Brotherhood of the Essenes” were able to secretly preserve them. Likewise, Gurdjieff believed that Islam as well had deviated from the original teachings of the Prophet Mohammed. Gurdjieff believed that the esoteric teachings of Islam were in Bokhara, in Central Asia, which Bennett believes was associated with the Naqshbandi Sufis [major spiritual order of Sunni Islam] who had preserved the true teachings of Islam, and which represented a synthesis of the inner meaning of all religions.

In 1953, Bennett had undertaken a long journey to the Middle East, which included a mysterious visit to Abdullah Faizi ad Daghestani (1891-1973), Shaykh of the Naqshbandi Haqqani Sufi order, in Damascus.11 Ad Daghestani initiated Gurdjieff and allowed him through a dream to “ascend to the knowledge of the power of the nine points,” which became the basis of his Enneagram.12 The enneagram is a nine-pointed figure usually inscribed within a circle. Gurdjieff is quoted by Ouspensky as claiming that it was an ancient secret and was now being partly revealed for the first time, though hints of the symbol could be found in esoteric literature. It has been proposed that it may derive from the Kabbalistic Tree of Life, as used in Renaissance Hermeticism, which used an enneagram of three interlocking triangles, also called a nonagram or a nine-pointed figure used by the Christian medieval philosopher Raymond Llull (1232-1315).13`

Through the influence of the Romanian Traditionalist historian, Mircea Eliade (1907-1986), brought forward the idea that its mystical feats of the shamans of Central Asian were achieved through the use of drugs, often referred to as “entheogens.” In 1954, Aldous Huxley (1894-1963), who studied Eliade, wrote the The Doors of Perception (1954), which also reflected the ideas of Gurdjieff, and claimed that hallucinogenic drugs “expand consciousness.” Like many of the leading LSD evangelists of the CIA’s MK-Ultra program, including Huxley, Gerald Heard (1889-1971) and Alan Watts (1915-1973), Timothy Leary (1920-1996) was strongly influenced by Gurdjieff.``