#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
God Fearing and the Fear of God!

09-08-2015, 08:57 PM #1
cameronjcw
Justiciar
It seems that some people may believe in god because they are afraid not to, you often hear the terms god fearing people and putting the fear of god into somebody which is basically scaring them with the notion of punishment from god for not believing or obeying, yet god is supposedly all loving and forgiving and all these other little terms that are completely contradictory!?

So what is this all about really? I am even more reluctant to believe in something "just in case" or because I am scared of it or them. I refuse to be bullied or coerced into believing in something that doesn't really completely convince me. There are plenty of things out there to be scared of but are bad thing, evil things and evil people, why is god exempt from this if he/she/it even does exist!

Just interested to hear others points of view!?
The following 1 user Likes cameronjcw's post:
  • Trenton

09-08-2015, 09:07 PM #2
Vytas
Justiciar
Did you feared your dad when you were a small girl? Would you rather wouldn't have dad at all than to fear him?

Bible reference : The fear of the LORD is to hate evil
This post was last modified: 09-08-2015, 09:08 PM by Vytas.

Truth is precious it's guarded by God
The following 3 users Like Vytas's post:
  • The Creeper, meltbanana, Tarikko

09-08-2015, 09:09 PM #3
cameronjcw
Justiciar
(09-08-2015, 09:07 PM)Vytas Wrote:  Did you feared your dad when you were a small girl? Would you rather wouldn't have dad at all than to fear him?

I have never known my father! Bible quote is interesting but Id rather hear peoples own personal thoughts on this than just bible quotes tbh!
The following 2 users Like cameronjcw's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper

09-08-2015, 09:18 PM #4
sPEktrall
Chaplain
It boils down to understanding the nature of God and who he is.  He reveals himself as holy and just.  We are all guilty of breaking his laws.  Christ offered himself to pay the penalty that we  rightfully deserve for our own personal transgressions.  Think of it like this.  If you were brought before an earthly judge and found guilty, the fair and just thing for him to do would be to sentence you accordingly.  One could argue its not exactly the merciful thing to do, but it is the just and right thing. Christ stood in the court room and took upon himself the penalty that you would have otherwise received, because God is just and the demand for justice must be satisfied.   He was punished in your place.

Not to mention if you could comprehend how holy God is then it should cause you to fear.  God isn't indifferent towards sin, he hates it with an intense hatred.  Think of how much you hate the idea of someone stealing your wallet, now imagine how much more a perfectly good God must hate it.  

Those who reject Christ will pay for their own sin whereas those who accepted him have already had their sins dealt with.  If you reject Christ then the only thing to expect in certainty is judgment, because by Gods own immutable nature he cannot deal unjustly and pardon the guilty.

Prov 15:7 The lips of the wise disperse knowledge: but the heart of the foolish doeth not so.
The following 3 users Like sPEktrall's post:
  • That1kid, meltbanana, The Creeper

09-08-2015, 09:48 PM #5
Vytas
Justiciar
(09-08-2015, 09:09 PM)cameronjcw Wrote:  
(09-08-2015, 09:07 PM)Vytas Wrote:  Did you feared your dad when you were a small girl? Would you rather wouldn't have dad at all than to fear him?

I have never known my father! Bible quote is interesting but Id rather hear peoples own personal thoughts on this than just bible quotes tbh!

Im sorry to hear that Sad   Perhaps it will be bit harder to understand my point. Ok I will try with my own words.
I was a wicked kid, but it would be way worse if I hadn't had a dad.. Dad creates and enforces rules in family. He is the law. He do that not because he is ruthless dictator, but because he wants to make me a decent person one day. Now I myself am just a little kid, I care mostly about fun and bad things almost always are fun. Yet I consider what to do and what not, because even I have no doubt my dad loves me and I love him, for certain things Im sure I will get punished. As a result I copy my dads value system, that is all that fear do to me... I despise what he despises and I love what he loves...Later I will know what is bad and what is not myself, but for no I stick with what my dad tolds me, yes I fear him, and even as a small kid deep down I know, he is right, I fear punishment I rightly deserve, that's the real source of fear...

Interesting fact from my own country, after WWII there was incredible amount fatherless families...So mothers used to take their kids to yard keepers to set rules and impose penalties for bad behavior...
Now in my story you can use dad or you can use God all the same.

Just realized my comparison still could be not clear, we are small kids while here on earth no matter 8 or 80 y.o And just like those postwar kids we desperately need a Dad
This post was last modified: 09-08-2015, 10:10 PM by Vytas.

Truth is precious it's guarded by God
The following 2 users Like Vytas's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper

09-08-2015, 10:35 PM #6
Trenton
Justiciar
(09-08-2015, 08:57 PM)cameronjcw Wrote:  It seems that some people may believe in god because they are afraid not to, you often hear the terms god fearing people and putting the fear of god into somebody which is basically scaring them with the notion of punishment from god for not believing or obeying, yet god is supposedly all loving and forgiving and all these other little terms that are completely contradictory!?

So what is this all about really?  I am even more reluctant to believe in something "just in case" or because I am scared of it or them.  I refuse to be bullied or coerced into believing in something that doesn't really completely convince me.  There are plenty of things out there to be scared of but are bad thing, evil things and evil people, why is god exempt from this if he/she/it even does exist!

Just interested to hear others points of view!?

I believe in God. However not out of fear. Out of thankfulness for the universe he created and the opportunity to exist at all, whether or not it is difficult sometimes.

Sometimes I think to before I had a sentience, the nothingness, and when I get those "wish I'd never been born" feelings I go, "At least I have an opportunity to exist, however unimportant/unfair it may seem."

To put my belief in God into a perspective. I do not know how or why the Universe was created. I know that a force, or something (God) must have existed before and it now exists. The Big Bang Theory never made sense to me, matter cannot be created or destroyed, How could one SMALL piece of something just exist, explode and BAM!!! billions of years later (relative only to physical bodied entities) a universe is built.

I feel the only thing that makes sense is we live in God's mind. The universe is very real to us, and we are but a dream to something we cannot fathom.

Don't know if that made sense or not. But regardless I respect my creator not out of fear, but from being grateful.

I know you're coming in the night like a thief, but I've had some time alone, to hone my lying technique. I know you think that I'm someone you can trust, but I'm scared I'll get scared, and I swear I'll try to nail you back up. So do you think that we could work out a sign, so I'll know it's you and that it's over so I won't even try? I know you're coming for the people like me. We've all got wood and nails, turned out in a hate factory.
The following 3 users Like Trenton's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper, Tarikko

09-09-2015, 07:31 AM #7
The Creeper
Chaplain
If you believe in God, it can be hard to fathom what that God is. I like Trenton's post above, he has the right idea, I can sometimes be ungrateful for the opportunity to exist. His idea about matter and the universe is part of what brought me to belief in God as well, I don't buy the scientific "in the beggining there was nothing, which exploded" theory, something greater than our comprehension made that happen. God exists outside of space and time and is aware of all that He created, He is all knowing. He didn't create everything just to inflict suffering on it (I don't know why He made the universe), but as a force of supreme goodness he must be just. In our current temorary existance we are mostly ingnorant and we all sin (or do someting nasty) at some point. As Vytas put it I fear punishment I rightly deserve, that's the real source of fear...

If the several prophecies from around the world relating to the apocalypse and the Last Day of judgement are true, then the mercy of God is shown in that any of even make it into paradise in the first place. The fear is more related to the punishment we have earned, but that punishment can be avoided if you heed His warnings sent by His prophets, repent and try to live your life in the best way you can. Loving what is good and attempting to avoid what is evil. Be the best you that you can be and be the change you want to see in the world and all that stuff. Smile

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool – William Shakespear
The following 2 users Like The Creeper's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, Tarikko

09-09-2015, 07:47 AM #8
Tarikko
Chaplain
Whoever is worshiping God out of fear solely is doing it wrong.

I worship him out of love, respect, gratitude, praise and thanks. He granted me an existence when I was NOTHING. If you wanna numerate God's blessings... you will find that they are countless

Imam Ali RA once said about the meaning of worship:

“Worship is of three kinds: some people worship Allah, because they fear Him – so it is the worship of slaves; and a group worships Allah, Blessed and High is He, to seek reward – so it is the worship of hirelings (traders or businessmen); and a group worships Allah, Mighty and Great is He, because of (His) love – and this is the worship of the free, and it is the most excellent worship.” (al-Kafi)

“The lies (Western slander) which well-meaning zeal has heaped round this man (Muhammad) are disgraceful to ourselves only.”

― Thomas Carlyle, On Heroes, Hero Worship and the Heroic in History

The following 5 users Like Tarikko's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper, Scimitar, Kung Fu, Todd

09-09-2015, 01:06 PM #9
sPEktrall
Chaplain
Demons believe in God too.  What we do with the awareness of our accountability to him and his divine purpose is what decides eternity.

Prov 15:7 The lips of the wise disperse knowledge: but the heart of the foolish doeth not so.
The following 3 users Like sPEktrall's post:
  • Thy Unveiling, The Creeper, meltbanana

09-09-2015, 01:25 PM #10
Artful Revealer
Chaplain
Christian apocrypha offer an alternative perspective on the concept of fear and the god to whom it belongs.

The Apocalypse of Adam:

The revelation  that Adam taught his son Seth in the seven hundredth year,  saying, Listen to my words, my son Seth. When god  created me out of the earth along with your mother Eve, I went about with her in a glory that she saw in the eternal realm from which we came. She taught me knowledge of the eternal god. And we resembled the great eternal angels, for we were higher than the god who created us and the powers with him, whom we did not know.
God, the ruler of the realms  and the powers, divided us in wrath, and then we became two beings.  And the glory in our hearts left us, me and your mother Eve, along with the first knowledge that breathed in us. And glory fled from us and entered another great realm. Your mother Eve and I didn’t come from this realm. But knowledge entered into the seed of great eternal beings. For this reason I myself have called you by the name of that person who is the seed of the great generation  or its predecessor.  After those days the eternal knowledge of the god of truth withdrew from me and your mother Eve. Then we learned about the inanimate as we did about human beings. We recognized the god who created us. We were not strangers to his powers. And we served him in fear and slavery. After these events our hearts darkened, and I slept in my heart’s darkened thought.

The Second Treatise of the Great Seth

For the ruler was a laughingstock because he said, “I am god, and there is none greater than I. I alone am the father, the lord, and there is no other god but me. I am a jealous god, who brings the sins of the fathers upon the children for three and four generations.” 

O you who do not see, who do not see your blindness, that this is who was not known. They have never known him, nor have they known about him. They did not listen to a reliable report. Therefore they proceeded in a judgment of error, and they raised their defiled and murderous hands against him as if they were beating the air. And the senseless and blind ones are always senseless, always being slaves of law and earthly fear.

I am Christ, the human son, the one from you who is in you. I am despised for your sake, in order that you yourselves may forget what is subject to change. And do not become female,  lest you give birth to evil and its brothers: jealousy and division, anger and wrath, fear and a divided heart, and empty, nonexistent desire. But I am an ineffable mystery to you.

Gospel of Truth:

[The] ignorance of the father brought about terror and fear.  And terror became dense like a fog, so no one was able to see. Because of this, error  became strong. But she worked on her material substance  vainly, because she did not know the truth. She assumed a fashioned figure while she was preparing, in power and in beauty, the substitute for truth.

This, then, was not a humiliation for the illimitable, inconceivable one. For they were as nothing, this terror and this forgetfulness and this figure of falsehood, whereas established truth is unchanging, unperturbed, and completely beautiful.

For this reason, do not take error too seriously.
Since error had no root, she was in a fog regarding the father. She was preparing works and forgetfulnesses and fears in order, by these means, to beguile those of the middle  and to make them captive.

- Leaving the World, Gospel of Philip

When you leave the world, nothing can stop you
because you were in the world. You are above desire
and fear. You are master of envy. If someone does not
leave the world, the forces grab and choke him.

How can one escape those great grasping rulers?
How can one hide from them? Some say,
“We were faithful,” to escape the filthy spirits and demons.

But if they had the holy spirit, nothing filthy
would cleave to them. Have no fear of the flesh.

Don’t love it. If you are fearful, it will gain mastery
over you. If you love the flesh,
it will swallow and paralyze you.

Faith receives, love gives. No one will be able to receive without faith. No one will be able to give without love. Because of this, in order that we may indeed receive, we believe, and in order that we may love, we give, since if one gives without love, he has no profit from what he has given. He who has received something other than the Lord is still a Hebrew. - Gospel of Philip