#Login Register
The Vigilant Citizen Forums
Starry Eyes (Movie)

06-02-2015, 10:42 AM #1
bbsion
Marshall
I read an article here on Vigilant Citizen about a movie called Starry Eyes.  Here is the link:

http://vigilantcitizen.com/moviesandtv/s...uly-works/

I was eager to watch this movie.  I read the description on IMDB and everything seemed to say this would be a movie I would like to watch to get more informed.  

First, let me say, I believe it is possible Hollywood is the "whore" of the earth.  I believe there are many people selling their souls for stardom.  

But!  I am here to warn anyone here that this movie is utter garbage.  It takes the truth about the messed up part of Hollywood and exaggerates it to an extreme that is unbelievable.  Most of the movie is very boring.  It is also extremely disgusting.  It does not enlighten or inform at all.  The acting is poor.  The writing is bad.  You can get better information from watching poorly made youtube videos.

Overall I give it a 1 out of 10.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."

Thomas Jefferson

06-02-2015, 10:44 AM #2
cameronjcw
Justiciar
Yeah I watched it too, definitely was a pile of crap!

06-02-2015, 12:09 PM #3
RiderOfKarma
Marshall
I liked it, but then again I'm a big fan of B horror movies. It was really too on the nose, and turned into a slasher flick towards the end, but the beginning had more than a few moments that cracked me up. Loved the main character's actress too.
This post was last modified: 06-02-2015, 12:18 PM by RiderOfKarma.

06-02-2015, 01:45 PM #4
bbsion
Marshall
(06-02-2015, 12:09 PM)RiderOfKarma Wrote:  I liked it, but then again I'm a big fan of B horror movies. It was really too on the nose, and turned into a slasher flick towards the end, but the beginning had more than a few moments that cracked me up. Loved the main character's actress too.

I don't mind some B Horror movies if I'm looking for a laugh. Smile But going into this movie with certain expectations, I felt completely let down. It felt like it was mostly fabricated with a few truths about Hollywood thrown in. It also felt out of place to have an entire article on VC about it.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."

Thomas Jefferson

06-02-2015, 01:48 PM #5
RiderOfKarma
Marshall
(06-02-2015, 01:45 PM)bbsion Wrote:  
(06-02-2015, 12:09 PM)RiderOfKarma Wrote:  I liked it, but then again I'm a big fan of B horror movies. It was really too on the nose, and turned into a slasher flick towards the end, but the beginning had more than a few moments that cracked me up. Loved the main character's actress too.

I don't mind some B Horror movies if I'm looking for a laugh. Smile  But going into this movie with certain expectations, I felt completely let down.  It felt like it was mostly fabricated with a few truths about Hollywood thrown in.  It also felt out of place to have an entire article on VC about it.

I agree yeah, but I guess it just a good example for newbies. It Follows was really cool, if you're into horror. Very Carpenter-esque:

This post was last modified: 06-02-2015, 01:49 PM by RiderOfKarma.

06-02-2015, 02:02 PM #6
bbsion
Marshall
(06-02-2015, 01:48 PM)RiderOfKarma Wrote:  
(06-02-2015, 01:45 PM)bbsion Wrote:  

I don't mind some B Horror movies if I'm looking for a laugh. Smile  But going into this movie with certain expectations, I felt completely let down.  It felt like it was mostly fabricated with a few truths about Hollywood thrown in.  It also felt out of place to have an entire article on VC about it.

I agree yeah, but I guess it just a good example for newbies. It Follows was really cool, if you're into horror. Very Carpenter-esque:

I really wanted to watch It Follows! It did not come to the theater where I live (small town). But I am waiting for it to come to DVD/Bluray. I don't know why, but I do like horror films. Most kinda suck but still...

Thomas Jefferson

06-02-2015, 10:39 PM #7
Thy Unveiling
Chaplain
An older B movie that has a decent social commentary is Slashers. They actually had the concept (predictive programming?) before Survivor catapulted reality TV into popularity, however due to money or time issues (i forget which. Both, possibly) it didn't get made until after Survivor.

The premise is basically contestants go on this Japanese game show, make their way through a maze and encounter actual masked serial killers. Anything goes. Its expected only one, or none, will survive and win a lot of money. When I say it like that, it sounds kind of boring. Its not. Again, its a B movie so the acting etc isn't great, but its definitely worth a watch.

06-03-2015, 12:03 AM #8
TonyVanDam
Justiciar
Even if Starry Eyes was free to borrow from my local library, I think I'll still pass. Thanks for the heads up.

06-03-2015, 03:31 AM #9
Spazarus
Knight
I think Starry Eyes had an interesting premise and built up curiosity fairly well in the beginning, only to let down by becoming a nonsensical slasher film in the end.

I guess most of us already know about the evils of the Hollywood star system, so that aspect isn't going to impress us as much as it might the uninitiated.

I had hoped it would open some eyes, but I fear it's a little far-fetched and allegorical for anyone to take it seriously.

Funny movie reviews that expose the establishment: Popcorn Lobotomy